BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

My Hip is Like a College Bound Senior

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Barbaraj, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Barbaraj

Barbaraj graduate

United States United States
    My husband and I have four children between us, and each of these children in turn graduated from high school and a few months later, after the long and seemingly endless summer was over, left for college. How well I remember those irritating few months post high school and before college. They were all so frustrating, demonstrating a variety of erratic behaviors: sullen, moody, argumentative, agitated, lazy, etc. I grew so tired of each of them during those summers, thinking that they'd be gone none too soon and mentally commenting to myself "good riddance--don't let the door hit you on the way out". I swear there is some obnoxious behavior hormone triggered in children who are about to leave the nest, insuring that our mutual parting is seen as a good and necessary thing. Annoying your parents really is the best guarantee that you can saunter off to college with your head held high!

I think my hip is ready to graduate as well, I am very tired of the aching and soreness (can't really call it pain, but it is constant and wearying) and while continuing to be mildly freaked out at the prospect of upcoming hip replacement surgery, I am ready to take the plunge. Today was my pre-op appointment with a blood draw, swabs to test for staph infections, referral for an EKG, instructions for pre and post-surgery. The nurse was young and cheerful, and handed me a notebook full of materials to read at home at my leisure. I perused some of them this afternoon, catching my breath at some of the handouts: "Preventing DVTs", "Risks of Surgical Infection", "MRSA", etc. It makes it all sound really, really serious and kind of scary! Now it's the march towards surgery day and, like my kiddos, I'll be saying "adios" to this bad hip with the fervent hope for a speedy and relatively pain-free recovery, and the knowledge that next year should be a far less limited world--travel, here I come!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Gabby

Gabby junior member

Barbara! That's what I'm looking forward to.. Travel, travel, travel. I started now that we retired. Was on the road but limping. Lol can't do it like that!

3. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Life without hip pain..
    .:happydance::egypdance::happydance:
    It's going to be good!:yes:

4. Barbaraj

Barbaraj graduate

Yes, @Gabby, travel is definitely in my future, although today it seems further away. Nothing like a bad night's sleep to depress one's mood and make one feel gloomy and less hopeful. I am impressed that you've still managed to travel despite a gimpy hip! Clearly, you are determined to get out and go and not let pain stop you from seeing the world. My husband is holding out the prospect of a nice trip next year, although in my more grim state of mind today I am already projecting ahead that no sooner will I recover from my right hip replacement than the left one will start acting up...argh! But, I need to mentally "buck up" and stop borrowing trouble. I see your left hip is due for replacement approximately a week before mine--best of luck to you, and here's to travel in our futures!

Thanks, @Mojo333, for the cheery words to start my day. Not "feelin' the love" this morning particularly but maybe after some exercise this and forcing myself to, once again, wrap my head around this upcoming surgery and the hope for a positive outcome I will be feeling more cheerful.

5. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Embrace it. Difficult to do but it will bring you pain relief and give you your life back.
    There are way more success stories than not. While the complications you've mentioned are a frightening thought, if you follow your OS's instructions I'm sure you'll do fine. Pre-op anxiety is mentally tiring. It wears on us. Thankfully it will soon be behind you and you'll be on your way to a better life.
    Hope today is a peaceful one for you.
    @Barbaraj

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Barbaraj

Barbaraj graduate

Thanks for the soothing words, @Layla. Having that pre-op appointment yesterday really made this whole "I'm gonna do this" process seem more real and more serious. I know that anxiety is common and I'm trying to focus on the more likely than not very positive outcome, but feeling a bit weak in the knees and frankly scared. Yes, I know the answer for this is to distract myself and I will, but those interludes where I sit here and obsess cannot be completely avoided. Still, with each passing day I'm closer and closer so not too much longer to freak myself out!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Layla

I'm sorry. I know it's hard, I felt the same. Sadly, it's one of those things we have to endure.
    I understand you realize that. As much as you fear the process you start wanting it to come quickly so you can finally get beyond it all. One of the most memorable and happiest moments for me was when I was fully awake in recovery, with the realization surgery was finally behind me. You're going to love that feeling and it's only the beginning of all the good to come. I hope the next two weeks pass quickly for you.
    @Barbaraj

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mojo333

When is the last time you could do this:happyfeet: or:chuckmarch:
    You will be singing THRs Praises at this end of this journey.
    We have all had our fears and what ifs.
    Lots of folks to cheer you on!:yay::yay:

9. Barbaraj

Barbaraj graduate

Thank you @Layla and @Mojo333. You guys are such cheerleaders and able to speak with calm authority, having been through the surgery yourselves. Perversely, I sometimes wish I WERE in worse pain than I am now because then I'd be looking forward more to the surgery. Certainly the constriction of my activity means a less exuberant and joyful existence, but not having to deal with any real pain right now makes me doubly afraid of how awful I might feel with post-surgical pain. Yes, I know I'll get drugs and while it might take time to sort those, I will find out what works for me to keep the worst of it at bay. I am sure once I'm fully recovered I will love my new hip, it's just getting there that has me queasy. But, I'm soldiering on...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Layla

Wishing you peace and comfort for today. :friends:
    I hope you have a lovely day!
    @Barbaraj

11. Mojo333

Guess I could wish you horrible hip pain:heehee: but wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.:blackcloud:
    Since it isn't horrid pain like so many dealt with pre-op...with stress and sleep deprivation...hopefully you will be in much healthier place going in to surgery.:)
    Have a good weekend...find a fun distraction!:curtsey:

12. Barbaraj

Barbaraj graduate

@Layla and @Mojo333 : Well, I wasn't really thinking I need more pain to make surgery more desired--but folks on this forum can probably appreciate the crazy places one's mind goes in those weeks before surgery! I actually took a walk of several blocks yesterday and was forcibly reminded of the need for surgery--that careful and slow walk to and from, always on the verge but not quite, of discomfort. I am truly sick of living like this. I am avoiding pain, but I'm also missing out on the ease and relatively carefree existence I enjoyed pre-hip problems. Tomorrow my husband, brother and I are off for a few days vacation, down to Oregon's wine country. The Willamette Valley is known for its Pinot Noir wine so lots of tasting in our immediate futures. Plus staying at nice hotels and eating good meals out. It will be fun, and a great distraction. When I return next Wednesday, I will be one week away from The Big Day. Continuing to adjust, as best I can, to the increasing reality of this necessary surgery--not exactly happily but with the certain knowledge it is the right thing to do and that next year, I hope, I will be amazed at the life I'll be able to lead. Just gotta focus forward and not get caught up in my fears of the immediate future.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Layla

I can really relate to your comment about avoiding pain. I did the same until I realized I didn't want to settle for the lesser quality of life I was adapting to. I didn't suffer constant pain, rarely took any pain relievers, didn't use an assistive device but I limped. My world kept shrinking and I grew tired of settling for status quo because of fear. I decided to take the chance for a better quality of life and am so happy I did! You will be too!

I'm glad to hear your getting away on vacay. It will be a great distraction. The "tasting," change of atmosphere and company will ease your anxiety. Especially the tasting :wink: The last week will fly by. At least it did for me because I was afraid and felt like a giant clock was ticking. It seems time flies, when you're trying to drag your heels.

Focusing on the future, the final result, is the best you can do. This is a case where I wouldn't discourage projecting. It's the best way. Keep your eye on the prize, stay focused, look straight ahead and keep moving.
    Sending a warm hug and best wishes for your trip. Safe travels!
    @Barbaraj

14. Mojo333

So glad you are getting some time away!
    I do remember the anxiousness leading up to the Big Day:unsure:
    Hope your trip is sweet!:SUNsmile:

15. Barbaraj

Barbaraj graduate

Thanks, @Layla, it is actually reassuring to hear from someone who didn't suffer a lot of pain pre-surgery but nonetheless decided that hip replacement surgery was a good idea and has never regretted that decision. As I said before, I think if I were suffering more (not that I'm volunteering for that!) it would somehow mean less questioning and fear on my part. This narrowing life means that mostly I'm convinced I'm doing the right thing, but it seems very surreal (and lots of second-guessing, especially as the Big Day draws near) to be facing such a dramatic surgery when one isn't in horrible pain. I know you're right--focus ahead and how the quality of my life is going to improve, slowly perhaps, but definitely an upward trajectory towards a much better, more active and less restricted future. And, yes, finding distractions is critical these last few weeks--so we're off to Oregon this morning--wahoo!

And, @Mojo333, as always, thanks for the continued support and cheerleading. My trip IS going to be sweet!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    My left hip collapsed pre-op and I was in horrid pain. Believe me, the pain does not make this wait any easier. No one looks forward to surgery!

The good news is if you are not suffering significantly or limping around trying to stay off a sore hip, recovery is easier. My right hip was nagging pre-op but I didn't limp around years before. That was a much easier recovery.

Enjoy Oregon - lovely area!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Barbaraj

Barbaraj graduate

Well, Oregon wine country is definitely worth the visit--gorgeous September weather, fabulous wineries and we stayed in a pricey but nice hotel while we were there. Hard to come home and now the one week march begins. I had two voicemail messages from the hospital when we got home, asking about my regular prescriptions (thankfully, none) and also advising me that I need a prescription for some sort of nasal ointment because--horror of horrors--my nose swab came back positive for staph (although not MRSA)--major yuck! I was shocked when they told me this--how could this have happened? I've never had a staph infection in my life! Nurse soothingly told me that 30% of the population are carriers, and most with no symptoms so I've got a good immune system and I shouldn't worry about it. Still, it was pretty appalling to hear this. Going to pick up a prescription tomorrow which I'll use twice daily until surgery. Sheesh, it's always something!

18. Mojo333

There's been quite a few Bonesmarties I have heard report this revelation...AND had to have it dealt with prior to surgery.
    Glad they are dealing with it...
    I'm guessing not good for already sensitive nerves.:doh:
    Hope today is a Good Day!:ok:

19. Layla

I've heard of this also. I was never tested but part of my OS's protocol is for patients to
    swab nostrils 2X daily with a prescription for the 5 days leading up to surgery, as a precaution.
    I know others have done this also.
    So many things vary across the board during this process it has you wondering :what:
    What's beneficial, what isn't?

Wishing you comfort and peace of mind as you wait out these last few days.
    Glad you had a nice mini vacay.
    @Barbaraj

20. Barbaraj

Barbaraj graduate

Thanks for the reassurance, @Mojo333 and @Layla. I was horrified to learn I had staph, despite never having been made sick by it, it just sounds so disgusting. But, I guess if so many folks are carriers I should just chill out about this. I picked up my prescription today, just a dab of ointment in each nostril twice daily, so not an onerous medical regime. Did my morning exercises and now off to the gym for a lazy, 30 minute stroll on the elliptical. Still trying to keep up my activity routine until the morning of surgery. I know following surgery I'll not be doing anything strenuous for awhile and since I've been a life long exerciser, it will be difficult and I will--gasp--probably miss it! I am not one who "loves" exercise really, but it's become a habit like brushing one's teeth or other daily rituals. When I don't exercise, I always note its absence and resolve to make sure I'm back it the following day. My goal for the next few days is to stay positive and focused--no hand wringing and angst ridden obsession!

• Like Like x 2