PKR My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

NewKnees2020

Country
Canada Canada
My own personal opinion for my discomfort is that something went wrong with the lateral release that was done during my replacement surgery. Maybe he cut too much? Maybe damaged a nerve? I don’t know, but all my continuing discomfort is on the lower, outside of my knee, where I would think the lateral release was done.
This!! I’m so glad I stumbled upon your feed right now!
Prior to my PKR’s I had (combined) 3 scopes, 2 lateral releases, and a micro fracture. I can’t help but wondering if all the pain and weakness I’m still experiencing is from those stupid lateral releases. The PKR’s certainly didn’t help the damage that was already done. But I wish we could find a solution…

OP
OP
Jockette

Jockette

Staff member since March 2018
BoneSmart Staff
Country
United States United States
This!! I’m so glad I stumbled upon your feed right now!
I just posted on your thread. I’m going to copy the above post to your thread as it has important history of your knee. Sometimes I wonder if the more done to the knee, the harder it is to recover. Surgery does fix things, but the surgery itself causes temporary, controlled trauma, that also has to heal.

beesknee

Country
I can go up steps foot over foot, if they are shallow steps. I can’t even describe how bad/weird it feels if I try going down steps foot over foot, even on shallow steps. It’s like my knee just won’t bend enough with all my weight on it, going down, and yet my ROM is fine in all other situations.
Jockette,

Are you doing any type of leg strengthening exercises besides ADLs? I read through some of your thread but it is so long I had to skip through. I think you might have stopped structured leg exercises very early on?

Since I had a cortisone shot I have finally been able to push my knee hard enough the past few weeks to build some muscle back around my knee and and get rid of my noodle leg. In just two weeks have really have noticed a huge difference with leg strength and walking up and down stairs. Now my main issues are stiffness and gravelly knee which hopefully a scope can take care of...

If you have not been doing knee strengthening exercises I would suggest you at least give them a try for a month or so and see if you notice improvement.

Here are the exercises I do daily beyond ADLs:

Warm up on Elliptical trainer - 15 to 20 minutes

Quadriceps stretch (3 sets) - lay on my stomach, dog leash on foot and pull forward for a nice comfortable stretch hold 30 seconds

Eccentric step-up / step down (2 sets of 10) Find a stair with a side rail. Step up with op knee slowly then back down slowly until heal of good leg touches floor then back up. Hold handrail for support. This is my most difficult exercise.

Wall Slides (2 sets of 10) Back against wall slide down until knees flexed at 45 degrees, hold 15 seconds, slide up slowly.

Mini band Crab Walk ( 3 to 5 sets) - stretch band around ankles, legs apart at shoulder width and crab walk 25 feet one way then back.

Mini band side steps ( 3 to 5 sets) Stretch band at thighs, legs at shoulder width and side step one way then back 25 feet.

Bridge with mini band (2 sets of 10) Lay on back, band at knees, push and hold butt up for 10 seconds then down.

At health club I add these:

Warm up on Recumbent Bike (20 to 30 minutes) for warm up.

Seated leg Curl (3 sets) As much weight as possible, legs straight out then bend them down and slowly let leg go back up.

Weight pull (10 reps) I set weight to about 50 lbs. Bend knees, secure weight line to waist belt and take backwards steps pulling the weight all the way up, then slowly step forward back to the beginning. I love this exercise, feels good.

Seated leg press (3 sets of 10) I do a very low weight compared to pre surgery. I push and extend with both legs, then slowly back with OP leg only.

OP
OP
Jockette

Jockette

BoneSmart Staff
Country
@beesknee Thank you for sharing your routine with me. I appreciate you taking the time to do that. :flwrysmile:

Cementless

graduate
Country
very sensitive to any angle it doesn’t like
I know what you mean. I told my ortho that when I step off a curb, my knee feels like it wants to break in two!!!
It is the same if I wear different shoes that are higher and a different angle, like a platform type....my knee lets me know it right away.
He said it is my kneecap. :hairpulling:

sistersinhim

Staff member since March 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Could very well be. It's definitely something!

OP
OP
Jockette

Jockette

BoneSmart Staff
Country
I can’t even describe how bad it feels when I try to go down steps foot over foot. It’s rare that I even try, even with a short step.

Susie-Q

Staff member since February 2022
BoneSmart Staff
Country
I'm sorry you are still having these troubles, Jockette...... :sad:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member