THR My Christmas time recovery

I've had moments with the same groin pain which I was surprised about but it all feels different because the leg is swollen and heavy. Thigh pain is different, deeper and more extensive than pre-op, presumably because of all the cut muscles.

You're definitely not alone in feeling postop thigh and groin pain in recovery. Has to do with the cutting and re-stitching. Whenever I overdid, it kicked in for sure. I'm at 3 months now, and it's a thing of the past for the most part. Hang in!

Thanks. I did absolutely nothing yesterday and I woke up wirh burning groin pain that I’ve had all day. It’s not killing me or anything lol. Just an annoyance. And a scary reminder of the past :bolt::yikes::bolt::yikes::badspidy::no-fin::no-fin:

I went for my 6 week checkup. Had X-ray it was fine. Had cortisone shot in my knee. It hasn’t started working yet. I had it Wednesday. Restrictions lifted. I think I’ve been bending more and moving around in different ways bc I am so sore I can hardly move. I took my last hydrocodone and it Didn’t do anything. Went out to eat foenthe first time I was in a booth after two hours I could not get up. I was so stiff in both legs. I don’t think I’ve ever had this much muscle pain and stiffness and now my other leg thinks it needs involved. I’m not doing anything tom but icing. I can’t take this soreness. It feels like the soreness I had before the surgery. I felt better at two weeks. Enough of my rant.

Hi @Sdfoxy1 sorry to hear you're struggling with pain again. Sounds as if you may have joined the overdid it club. Recovery certainly seems to be a bit if a roller coaster.

Well at least your 6 week visit seemed to be ok and X-Ray looked good that's a positive.
I think first few months are so difficult to go out to eat or do anything that requires a lot of sitting for prolonged time. Friends of mine wanted to go to lunch early in my recovery and I told them between the drive and sitting for the lunch and drive back it wasn't worth how I'd feel once I was home so I can relate to your stiffness and pain after sitting for a few hours.
Hope you begin to see some improvement, to be in pain is not fun.

Hi. Today I’m 8 weeks post op. Was feeling much better walking without much hip
Pain. Mostly just pain from my knee. I had the cortisone shot almost two weeks ago. So far nothing. I did have an episode last weekend where I went to a department store for the first time. I was walking all around and all the sudden my hip started hurting badly. I was surprised because I walk around my house all day. I guess I was taking longer strides in the store and that made a difference. I go back to work in 4 weeks and I walk in a store all day so that some of unnerved me. Im still icing and can only take Tylenol which doesn’t do much. I also could not hardly get back into
The car after the walk. I still can not lift my operated leg which is right leg into drivers side without a lot of pain.
Lastly today I felt some of the popping sound in my hip like I felt earlier. Hoping it was just some of the tendons again. It wasn’t painful and did stop. Hope everyone is doing well.

Hi @Sdfoxy1! I’m glad you’ve updated us. I’m also glad to hear from you as we are very similar in our recovery timelines.

Are you still using a walking aide of some sort because it certainly sounds like you need to. I’m still using one. It’s my second day of the walking stick. I’ve accepted the fact my hip does not want to heal more quickly, and that’s ok. My leg gets tired, it gets heavy, it still gets ver painful, it still swells at the top and I still get a pop every now and then. Maybe us Christmas time hippies were given extra fun stuff to deal with for longer as our presents?? :xmas-snowball-fight-smiley-emoticon:

Hi @Sdfoxy1! I’m glad you’ve updated us. I’m also glad to hear from you as we are very similar in our recovery timelines.

Are you still using a walking aide of some sort because it certainly sounds like you need to. I’m still using one. It’s my second day of the walking stick. I’ve accepted the fact my hip does not want to heal more quickly, and that’s ok. My leg gets tired, it gets heavy, it still gets ver painful, it still swells at the top and I still get a pop every now and then. Maybe us Christmas time hippies were given extra fun stuff to deal with for longer as our presents?? :xmas-snowball-fight-smiley-emoticon:

Hi. I haven’t used a walking aide for about 4 weeks. I’ve been walking pretty normal without a limp since then until the department store. It did settle down the next day. Lifting my leg is the worst tho. Maybe i
Need to practice it more. It’s just so sore to do that. I have to be able to go back to work and that’s making me nervous. It’s mostly the knee I’m nervous about. I have had a major suede in 20,21 and now 22. So I refuse to have the knee replacement until next year. Even if I have to get a sitting job. I just mentally need a break from surgeries. I hope you are doing well. Did you have posterior. I was so excited to drive again until it came time to lift my leg for the car. It’s funny I can lift it into bed without much pain. If you need anyone to talk to. I’m always here :)

@Sdfoxy1, no I had anterior but I’m also battling back problems, too. I’m still having problems with believing in the strength of the new implant when it comes to lifting my leg. For example, when I want to dry the bottom of my leg after a shower. I have to really mentally apply myself to the task (which sounds ridiculous, I know). I’ve only just worked my way up to putting on my underwear without tongs!! But I know people will come along and say we’re only 8 weeks into a 52 week journey. Our bodies are still trying to knit themselves back together. Some things are just going to take longer to start working “properly” again. :flwrysmile:

I’m on the same timeline as you @Sdfoxy1 and I sometimes get that rather unnerving popping feeling too. I’m still using two sticks when walking outside to try and work on my gait after limping for a long time. Aches and pains move around and come and go as does swelling but at last I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Luckily for me I don’t have the pressure of returning to work to think about. I haven’t braved driving yet so you’re one up on me there but mostly because I don’t really need to ☺️

Happy Two Month Anniversary! Hopefully you're doing well.
When are you scheduled to return to work? With any luck you have a little more time off so you're feeling strong and steady on your feet upon your return.
Take good care and have a lovely week!
@Sdfoxy1

Happy Two Month Anniversary! Hopefully you're doing well.
When are you scheduled to return to work? With any luck you have a little more time off so you're feeling strong and steady on your feet upon your return.
Take good care and have a lovely week!
@Sdfoxy1
Thank you. I am scheduled to go back three weeks from today. It’s really the k Re that’s bothering me. The cortisone shot did not work. I am doing a lot of home treatments but not seeing much results. I am going to try and make it til next January before the knee replacement. The hip is doing fine. Still sore. But I can lift it about 6 inches now. Can’t get it into the car with h the swing and hop which I perfected before surgery. I am assuming one day it will finally heal and not be sore anymore. :)

Foxy,

I’m 38 and had both hips replaced late last year. I was walking without assistance within two weeks after both surgeries. I have been going to the gym and was stunned at my recovery and thought this part of my life was in the past. Just recently it seems as though every day I wake up with a different ache (e.g. hip, knee, ankle, back). My surgeon assured me that everything was fine and my body wasn’t close to being done healing. There are days where I feel very similar to before surgery, lots of pressure in my lower leg. It was tough for me to accept because I assumed I was the one who should recover faster…..but I’ve had sort of a reality check. Our bodies will heal at their own pace. If anything appears serious, contact your doctor. Everything else, take it in stride and realize better days will come.

Happy healing.

Thanks for your insight. I will remember this

Question about scar. I tried to lay in my operated side. 9 weeks out posterior. 12” scar. I was very uncomfortable I tried to move around and get more comfortable but I couldn’t. It has been sore ever since. The scar is a long thick underneath like a
Cord. I think I should have been massaging wirh some kind of oil to break up scar tissue. Any ideas. My doctor said it was fine. But didn’t give much advice

Hi, @Sdfoxy1 , I relate! At 4 months I still can't lie on my operative hip without feeling the "cord" you describe. Both my OS and PT said it eases in its own good time. As for wondering if you should have been "oiling," I began using Bio Oil at week 3. The scar sure looks nice and pretty, but that cord is still a pain!!! :wink:

@Sdfoxy1 I Have tried lying on that side too and still find it uncomfortable. The scar area is also quite bumpy now that there is less swelling. I started using bio oil but I felt as though the massaging it might be contributing to soreness but I will try again. I seem to wake up with backache every morning, not sure if it’s from lying on my back.

Last edited:
Hi @Sdfoxy1 I am now at 5 months on for hip numero deux and don't lie on operated side. Tried it, it hurt. Fizzio terrorist said if it hurt then there's a reason and your body is saying don't do it so at the moment I just avoid doing it and lie on the other operated side....which I can do. Generally, it all takes time and your body will tell you when its ready.......I think (maybe, perhaps).

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
How are you doing? I hope the progress is steady and you're slowly getting back to all that you enjoy.
Best Wishes as you continue the journey!
@Sdfoxy1

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks