TKR My 8 week post operation setback

Are you using a cane or walker? It might be a good idea to at least use a cane so you stand a little straighter and take better steps. The bonus is the stability it adds when your knee and hip aren't working in harmony.

Reactions: shr
No I haven’t been but will do. I have made an appointment to see my Surgeon in the morning to check. Gets very stiff and swollen once I have be up for a while & struggle to sit in a chair.

Went to the Surgeon yesterday to have it checked. He agreed that I have probably over done it. He drained my knee however did not really get a lot of fluid out this time (2nd time drained) He told me that the swelling is around my knee. Want me to take it easier but start to end and stretch. Knee, Ligaments and mussels etc. super tight and sore and bending at the moment seems impossible with the exception of a few degrees. Swam 20 laps of the Olympic pool this morning & walked a few laps very slowly & even that antagonizes the knee. Sitting here with the ice machine on and see if it calms down. Do you think massage may help loosen things up a bit and improve the ROM issue?

@Tkrrecovery2022 I started getting massage about 10 weeks from a trusted therapist and found it very helpful. I go every 1 -2 weeks. I also started gently dry brushing my lymph system a few weeks after surgery avoiding incision area of course. I would gently brush behind the knee area and the calf and quad all going toward the heart.

Tkrrecovery2022, I had robotic TKR on May 16. For me, it has been a fairly slow process, ROM about 105 & extension -5. I continue with PT 3 x per week, I do light exercises at gym 6 days per week and I have recently found an amazing massage therapist who often works with athletes, I see him 2x per week. His knowledge and skill have helped tremendously with my various issues (severe tightness above the knee and build up of scar tissue). He also suggested and I have purchased a hand held massage unit and a small TENS unit. I truly believe both are helping with my comfort level and movement.
I'm so sorry to hear about your ROM issue, you'll be back on track in no time. I look forward to hearing about your recovery moving forward.

Thank you, very disappointed after 120 ROM 2 weeks ago to basically nothing now. I can straighten but when I attempt to bend it is excruciating. I am not sure if I should persevere or just ice and elevate. I will reach out & speak to a sports masseuse & discuss options. I can always return to the PT however I believe they will want me to return to the exercises & bending

Been icing & elevating several times a day and doing very minimal activity. Visit to the OS and he drained my knee however very minimal fluid in the knee and suggested that most of the swelling was soft tissue. OS said to take it easy however start to move and bend this will help with the reduction in swelling which will help reduce swelling. Visited PT twice this week and he has stretched and bent. Feels a lot better than 2 weeks ago however ROM still not really good. Still can’t get a full rotation on the stationary bike. Slow comeback

It sounds like you've been very active and that has increased your swelling. (Water exercise is very deceptive--it feels ok when you do it, but it's still activity and you often can overdo.)

It may not seem like it but 2 months or so is still pretty early days for this recovery. Do a lot of icing and elevating and do just a few bending exercises like heel slides to keep the knee moving and get back on track.
Remember that a swollen knee isn't going to bend no matter how hard you try. Like your doc said, scale way back and slowly increase your activities. Generally if you listen to the knee it will tell you what it needs.

Still struggling to get past 90%. Visit OS next week for 12 week check up. PT mentioned yesterday he may suggest MUA to improve ROM?? Scary though

@Tkrrecovery2022. Here is some information you may find helpful:

Just remember, even if your surgeon suggests an MUA, you don't have to agree to it. This recovery is yours, not the surgeon's. 3 months is still early days in this year long recovery, and some of our members have reported improvement in their ROM into their second year.

2 days before I see the OS for 12 week check up. Still around 90% rom and seem to be stuck there. I have PT 3 mornings a week and feel quiet uncomfortable for the rest of the day afterwards unless I sit on the bed with ice ect and rest. Going to try hot epsom salt bath tonight and see if that helps

I have PT 3 mornings a week and feel quiet uncomfortable for the rest of the day afterwards
Then you may be doing too much or pushing too hard for where your knee is in the healing process. And that could be causing internal swelling and inflammation, which in turn could be limiting your ability to bend. You might want to stop all exercise for a couple of days to see if that helps.

I agree with Benne68, sometimes we try too hard to improve ROM and it backfires. Instead of improvement, it maintains our swelling, which doesn’t allow for improvement.

Also, some of us just take longer than others, to regain our ROM.

Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.

Had a visit with the OS today. He replicated the advice that you guys have been giving me. No pt and moderate stretching and bending. He seemed slightly concerned about infection ( due to the swelling). Hopefully that is not the case. Last 3 days I have taken your advice and taken it easy. Walking and ROM appears to have improved slightly about 95 degrees now. I have another appointment in 4 weeks.

Last 3 days I have taken your advice and taken it easy. Walking and ROM appears to have improved slightly about 95 degrees now.
That's so great to hear! Hopefully with additional rest, the internal swelling will go down and you will see even more improvement. Keep the stretching and bending gentle!

Still taking it very easy and only bending and stretching in the spa pool daily. ROM still improving slightly, probably 100% & walking seems a bit easier. Feel quite sore behind the knee, hamstring, hip and glute. Waking up every night in some discomfort that seems to subside once I get up and move for a while. Can put up with all of that, however the swelling and warmth still worries me a bit especially when the OS mentioned that there is a very minor chance that infection could be concern. Knee looks ok. Scar really good and no bright red ect. Still worrying however.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom