• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

TKR My 3rd Joint Replacement

MicheleV

Country
United States United States
Hi all. I had a Ltkr on November 26, 2019. This was after have a Rtkr in August, 2014, and a Rthr in January 2018. I can really make the alarms go at the airport!

The hip was so easy compared to the knees! And, I think I believed I could handle the 2nd knee better having been through the others.
Nope, Really, really hurts. I am, of course, a rainbow of bruises. But the constant pain, especially at night, is really wearing me down.

Aside from the osteoarthritis, I also have Fibromyalgia. So, I am taking a combination of Mobic, Tylenol Arthritis, Gabapentin, and Tramadol (which ran out today). Apparently, the strength and applications of these needs to be tweaked because it’s really frustrating and depressing to have nothing adequately control the pain. Going to contact the OS about this.

The OS has standard orders for PT 3x week at home until my first recheck. After one visit, I canceled PT — which is what I did early on in the first knee and hip. I had surgery on Tuesday and was -2 for extension and 112 degrees bend on Thursday.

Then the PT came and “put me through my paces”. I don’t know my exact numbers right now, but they are definitely worse due to swelling and pain. My other knee and hip healed just fine and no one could guess that they are artificial..

i confess that part of the problem with PT is the supercilious, patronizing attitude. Especially when you say something is painful. And I have no idea why, when I was given videos along with paper illustrations and instructions, I need someone to come to my home and watch me go thru the exercises.

I am very lucky to have an incredibly supportive husband who has taken time off from work to make sure I have everything I need and don’t overdo.

So, that’s my story—sorry so long. Really appreciate this forum and being able to connect with others who understand.

Jockette

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hi and Welcome!

I agree 100% with you about the PT! Yes, we need to move around to keep up mobility, but the current PT we are offered is mostly way over done. I will be doing my own, next time.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Cjackso21

Country
Sorry you’re having so much pain! Your medications sound complicated! My only advice would be to make sure you are icing and elevating a lot! I also found that just gently moving my knee, heel slides with a belt, helps my pain after surgery. Hope I can remember that in Feb. after what I hope is my last revision :)

Helizabug

Country
I, too, sympathize with your pain. The fibromyalgia must add an extra complication and be extra complicated by the TKR. I hope you find the right cocktail of pain relief so you can rest and heal. Stick with us!

eliza61nyc

Country
Welcome Michele
Every one here feels your pain (pardon the pun). Now for me I was glad to have the pt come out and watch me. lol I totally admit to cheating when left to my own devices. I just do better with someone motivating me. that being said, NO one should be anything remotely patronizing or condescending. PT's undergo a lot of school and training, they are familiar with folks who are in pain so if you are getting a patronizing attitude from your trainer, shut it down. One take away I got from a member here is to remember this person works for YOU. YOU are the client and have every right to expect professional behavior.

don't focus on the "numbers" right now. concentrate on icing and elevating as much as possible. getting the swelling down definitely help me get my pain under control.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
LIFELADY
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom