Must I go to a facility or have a live-in keeper?

Yes, someone to take care of the cats for a couple of weeks is a good idea. And InkedMarie is right about grass cutting. Even vacuuming early on can be a strain on a new knee.

I agree that you may need a different doctor.

I live alone, with no pets, and my sweetie lives next door. We see each other for perhaps two or three hours every day, but we like our "alone time" and also he has a part time retirement job.

Before my surgery I told my surgeon I would probably need to be in a rehab place for a week afterwards, and he smiled and said, "Let's see how you do before worrying about that". After surgery we both felt confident about me returning home the day after surgery. Physical therapy had me walk 300 feet at the hospital, the day I went home. Of course I was on a lot more pain medication at the time than what you get at home. I couldn't walk very far after I got home and for the first day or two all I wanted to do was sleep.

I have been fine with the level of care (or non-care) that I have been getting, although it is probably more than what you are anticipating. My sweetie's visits over here, and phone calls and texts have helped. Right now, for example, he is at work but he sent me a text saying "All right?" and I texted back, "Yes, fine!" When I leave my recliner to go to the bathroom or wherever, I always have my cell phone and glasses with me so that I could call him if I fell down or got hurt somehow.

Once or twice a day he comes over, and at those times he automatically refills my ice machine and the jug of water that I keep nearby, plus he brings me a meal once a day. I have frozen meals in my freezer for other times. Three days a week I have physical therapy home visits and two days a week (so far) the home health nurse comes by, and in between they are calling me all the time to arrange the times when they will arrive. So it's not like a patient is all alone all the time.

In your case it might help if you have a friend that you could contact every day, just in case you fell. You will need somebody to drive you home from the hospital and get you safely inside your home.

For me the pain has been manageable with the prescribed medications. Different people experience different levels of pain, but your surgeon should be willing to help you adjust your medications accordingly.

Last edited:
That surgeon sounds horrible....
Of course you know it’s not going to be a walk in the park doing recovery alone but many have done it very successfully.

I would urge you to read some posts of those ... @gertie is one who has had Tkrs & Thr....mainly on her own.

Our very own Josephine recovered from 2 tkrs mainly her own.

You sound a very capable & fit person.. other than those pesky knees (I’m with you there... having my 1st tkr on 14th October) I’ve had two thr’s , albeit I had my hubby at home for the first week.

I think if you can get organised before you go in... with food prep, etc it will help. Getting the cats fed will put your mind st ease & let you rest.

I’m sure someone who has done it alone will join in this discussion..

Good Luck xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@jwadds had double replacement and recovered at home on her own also. Maybe she'll check by.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MaxiHound
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom