Lounge Doctor

THR Muscle Stiffness

Sportsider65

Country
Canada Canada
Thanks to all for the feedback.. very encouraging..

Two questions:

How long before sleeping on your side?... and any tricks to make that easier?

Second, any thoughts on PT.. I've been doing the simple exercises every day, and intentionally walking 4 times a day for 15-20 minutes..

Otherwise, not sure what to do next? ..

Thanks

CVY
When you say you are walking 4 times a day...is that with or without your walker?
I am at day 21 now and am still doing all my walking in the house with the walker. Although I feel close, I haven't felt strong or confident enough to take steps without the walker yet.
I am curious when most people take their first short walks around the house with no walker or cane?

OP
OP
ChuckYeager

ChuckYeager

Country
United States United States
I suspect all folks are different.. but my history..

Used the walker for 3 or 4 days, and then graduated to the cane..

I'm now on day 23.. until day 17, did all my walking in the house.. (a pretty big room in our lower lever, and started doin 3 reps, 3 times a day, increased that to 10 reps -- 3 times a day.. (a rep was probably 90'.

Then on day 18, started walking outside, (with cane).. started going about 1/4 mile.. and walked 3 times a day.. now am up to about 1/2 mile.. 3 times a day..

Now I'm going up and down stairs pretty normally.. with some strength support when going up.. and leading with the operated leg.

Interesting.. yesterday, the swelling begin to diminish, and with that much less stiffness.. (still some pain when I get up after being idle.. but a lot less)

Hope this helps..
CVY

Sportsider65

Country
Canada Canada
Thanks Chuck. Sounds like you're doing great.
Like most post though, you don't say if you have done any steps without the cane. Have you started walking without an aide and if so, do you remember when?

OP
OP
ChuckYeager

ChuckYeager

Country
Sorry about that.. my doc suggested I use the cane as long as I have a limp.. so on the long walks, I use it.. around the house.. no...

Without a cane.. little by little ..probably started at the end of the second week.

One other observation.. there has been significant improvement at the end of week 3.. for me that has been a turning point..

I confess when I started this thread, I was a bit discouraged.. but now really see it coming.. actually planning to hit a few golf balls this week if our Indiana weather clears up.

CVY

Sportsider65

Country
Canada Canada
Great comeback. I like how you think. I am a golfer as well. Living on the left coast of Canada, the weather is pretty wet until April or May. I hope to be knocking them down the middle by then.

OP
OP
ChuckYeager

ChuckYeager

Country
Hey, I appreciate the interaction.. and the confidence I've gained from others sharing..

One additional question.. as I've increased activity (mainly long distance walking outside), I'm noticing some pain in the other hip.. not nearly as severe as the operated side, but almost like a muscle pull..

I'm confident that this hip will need replaced as well, just wonder if others have had any experience like this.

Thanks

Chuck

58hippain

Country
I had terrible pain in left hip. Had it replaced Aug 16. Now that I have progressed to longer faster walks, stairmaster, eliptical I have noticed the pain on my right hip is very bad. Prior to surgery pain was so bad on left I never felt the right. Thats why on my initial x ray I was surprised when OS said both my hips needed replacement. Right hip scheduled Nov 18

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
It's common for the other hip or one of the knees to hurt during the post op recovery. It doesn't always mean that another joint is deteriorating, it could possibly be that it's just overworked.. it's taking the impact of your recovery.

MY sister had her TKR last May and for several months her hip was really bothering her, then one day it eased and it hasn't bothered her since. I hope this is the case for you.

But! Many of us have had both hips (or knees) replaced, arthritis is quite the equal opportunity malady.

I was able to get 4 more years out of the second hip and now am thrilled to have them both done and doing so well.

Going4fun

graduate
Country
Just a clarification on going up and down the steps, which you posted about earlier in the week. I couldn't tell if you were describing it right.

Going up, you want to lead with your "good" leg, the one not operated on. You use that leg and its strength to pull up the operated leg.

Gong down is the opposite. You step down with your operated leg---because the stress of going down is carried by the good leg that is keeping you balanced until the weak leg lands on the step below. It's a bit counterintuitive because going down, you would think the main stress is on the leading leg. It's not. The stress is on the following leg, not the step leg.

I couldn't tell from your description if you were doing this right.

It's funny: I got lots of clarity and practice with what leg to use going up and down the stairs when I was helping my mother and father in their last years. I learned how to direct them--which got the principles deeply into my head, and I followed my own directions after my surgery.

If I read you wrong, just ignore all of this.

Eman85

supremo
Country
Now I'm going up and down stairs pretty normally.. with some strength support when going up.. and leading with the operated leg.
That's backwards, you lead with the good going up.
I don't know how much long distance walking your doing already but when I recovered from my left I figured my right would be fine. Once I was able to do some real walking my right gave out a lot faster than I thought and needed replacement.
You mention limping and using your cane on long walks. I did the same thing until I figured out that none of that was productive for me. I stopped focusing on speed, time and distance. I concentrated on form and stopped if I started to limp, made no sense to push on with a limp using a cane there was nothing to be gained.

wessexmario

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I did the same thing until I figured out that none of that was productive for me. I stopped focusing on speed, time and distance. I concentrated on form and stopped if I started to limp, made no sense to push on with a limp using a cane there was nothing to be gained.
Yes, that's the way to do it. Concentrate on your gait and balance while walking.
Forget strength and stamina, that will come with time, and it'll be easier if you get everything working gently in harmony first.

spongemum

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I'm sure I started sleeping on my unoperated side a lot earlier than with my last THR in 2013.I can also lie on operated side for short periods, useful for cuddles with OH!
I too found a nice warm shower on the wound soothing and it was recommended by the nurse who removed my clips.
I have been able to go out without cane and just feel a little stiffness no pain.
I found my balance returned around 4 weeks though I remain super careful not wanting to undo all this wonderful change to my life after a long and often very painful couple of years.

OP
OP
ChuckYeager

ChuckYeager

Country
Hey Folks.. I want to take a minute to thank each of you that showed care and spent time advising me through this surgery... amazing how information displaces fear and discouragement!!!!

My surgery was 5 weeks ago today.. at this point, the muscle stiffness has diminished by 80% .. making life a lot more normal.. I'm walking 2+ miles a day, (use a cane about half the time), plus getting around inside absolutely normally.. even up and down stairs..

I noted two dates.. 3 weeks was a big turning point.. enough healing that I could see through the fog to normalcy .. even though at that point, pretty severe stiffness after being idle..

5 weeks.. (today).. pretty much back to normal activity.. our Indiana weather is still cold, but supposed to warm up over the weekend.. and if so, I'm ready to hit a few golf balls..

Again, thanks to each of you!!!!

Chuck Yeager

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
Happy Five Week Anniversary! Thanks for taking the time to show you’re appreciation to all and especially for joining us here and sharing your journey. Hopefully you’ll continue to drop by with updates on your progress. We love reading about your return to the things you love. Wishing you a beautiful sunny day as you hit the links this weekend. Enjoy! :SUNsmile:
@ChuckYeager

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
Hey Chuck :wave:
Happy Two Month Anniversary! Hope you continue to enjoy progress and have a wonderful holiday season.:banana-santa:
@ChuckYeager

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Nancy Realtor
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom