TKR Muscle spasm?

@Scaredycat10
Oh blimey yes I'm the same 3am nod off then 6.30 awake again!
I'm not going to stop with the Codeine and paracetamol until it feels much better than this.
I know my pain threshold is low as it took them a while to get it right in hospital.. but I did already know it was low as I have always said that my mum put up with pain I couldn't ever have bore saw the difference through my life in comparison to her I was awful with putting up with pain.
But I can't help it it is just as it is.
I do have days where the pain is not so bad so I space out my meds according on such days.
I just wish I could take normal ibruprophen as I feel I would benefit from its anti inflammatory but hey ho even on two antacids a day I can't tolerate it.
Never mind have just to keep both chin and knee up and carry on .. sure we both will get there in the end.
Take care

Well there I'm lucky as I can tolerate Naproxen of which I take 2x250mg a day. I don't have pain as such, it's the ache and factor in a tight hamstring which has come from nowhere, that's my little moan over.

We're out for dinner tonight with friends. That's going to be a milestone. Hopefully, the evening will tire me out SO much, I'll sleep for Britain.
Maybe! :) :-) (:

@Scaredycat10
I read somewhere on this site about people taking melotonin. We can't buy it here in the UK but I do remember that someone on TV was speaking about melatonin being good at combating the effect of jet lag. So I bought some whilst on holiday in Florida. It did work but other than for that I didn't know what it was used for. I threw it out as was sitting in my meds cupboard for about twenty years!
Think hypnosis might be best for me with sleep.. husband and a pocket watch will that work I wonder?

Oh my gosh, @BEWITCHED Charm and @Scaredycat10, the sleep deprivation is so hard. You are so exhausted you can barely move, yet your eyes won't stay closed. It's torture!

I'm so sorry you are suffering. I wish I could help you.

If someone could discover the secret to sleeping after surgery they should be sainted.

@BEWITCHED Charm You can’t buy melatonin in UK? It is so ubiquitous here along with CBD. Can you buy that? I have gummy’s for sleep- CBD and cannibas. Very low levels, won’t get you high but will help you sleep. I also use a couple of apps like Calm. Something about their sleep stories helps me to drift off. I never know how the story ends. I’m an experienced insomniac with all kinds of tricks to help me sleep

Well there I'm lucky as I can tolerate Naproxen of which I take 2x250mg a day. I don't have pain as such, it's the ache and factor in a tight hamstring which has come from nowhere, that's my little moan over.

We're out for dinner tonight with friends. That's going to be a milestone. Hopefully, the evening will tire me out SO much, I'll sleep for Britain.
Maybe! :) :-) (:
Or maybe not! Weird really as the evening really tired me out and yet four hours interrupted sleep. It's this danged leg. Once I'm awake, I don't know where to put it at night time. It doesn't hurt but oh, how it aches.
I was prescribed some sleeping tablets two years ago when I got into a bad sleeping pattern caring for my husband at night time. I didn't take them, as his health settled down, and I managed to resume proper sleep so I know this is just a bad patch but, they're still in date and reluctantly, I might take one an hour before bed time, see if it helps.

@kate97497
No can't buy melotonin for some reason. People over in UK probably don't even know of its existence.
Yes we can get the cannabis gummies from health stores but I have never tried them and would not have a clue as to the strength to buy etc. I might just look this up.
The elusive sleep is just a part of this journey for many of us I am realising so guess you just have to figure out what is best for yourself.
But thanks for the CBD tip I will look into that ... Before I decide to get hubby to try the rubber hammer on me!

@kate97497
Oh yes we could try smoking cannabis... But it may mean we see blue flashing lights and hear New nahs ( not an effect of the cannabis it's our police car sirens!)
It's still illegal over in the UK unless you have been given it on prescription by a doctor.. which is something some parents have to go to court for and have faced long battles doing this fighting for the rights of epeletic children who benefit from taking cannabis.
No I think I will try to avoid the nee nahs!.
:heehee::heehee:

Be three weeks this coming Thurs since operation.
Took dressing off that nurse had put on yest ( wish I had done it myself left it to DH .. felt like pay back for all my years of nagging him!)
At least it got rid of my hairy legs! ( Ooh how I wanted to shave before op bit didn't due to risk of cutting myself.)
Anyway I am still up for hours as nightime drives me mad.. even worse now as hate feel of bedding on my scar.
But during the day I am doing really well and so manage to keep my doses of pain meds for when I need them most which is during the night.
Got ECG at docs today and blood tests getting on that couch should be fun! I'm only used to swinging legs to the right as that's where I sleep at moment ( hubby and I changed sides in bed as I can't get through on crutches to my normal side.
Keep going every one we will get there eventually.

hate feel of bedding on my scar.

Have you tried the Saran/plastic wrap solution? There's a video somewhere on the forum demonstrating it, but it's pretty simple: just wrap it around your knee a couple of times. It sticks to itself, so you don't need to tape it. It helps protect the incision from the rubbing of the bedding.

Right I might upset a few people with this and I am sorry but I need to ask this question because I am finding it to be happening to me after surgery so here goes. I am findy especially my first wee in the morning ( but also some in between) that I am in a rush to use the toilet. So much so that I am being overtaken by my bladder and it is winning the race in fact it always reaches the finish line ( toilet bowl) way before my bladder does.
This is a problem that has sometimes happened before surgery but not very often like it is at the moment.
I am just being honest here and obviously you don't have tell me but I really would appreciate anyone else sharing if they too are/ had having this problem as it's slightly worrying me I want to know if it's temporarily?
Thanks for listening . Take care everyone.

@benne68
No I haven't tried that.. thank you wonderful tip thanks I will try that tomorrow!
I had s soft blanket over it last night but the cling film might be better.
Thanks again take care

During the day, try gently rubbing different types of materials on your knee ( avoid the scar line) I was told to do this on my first surgery in 2019 and it really helped to desensitise my knee quickly, as I wear mostly jeans, I used that material first, soon bedclothes were not a problem x

@BEWITCHED Charm Following your post on Sks1997 It's possible that as you are taking in more liquid from for the medication your trips to the bathroom are more frequent, maybe schedule a extra trip, that way your bladder won't be as full and accidents won't be as frequent. I'm sure it is only temporary and as your legs get stronger so will everything else.

@Sara61
I don't think I don't think I do take in a lot of fluids near bedtime. I have one drink at 9am of warm milk then after that probably a sip to take Meds at 2am .
But hopefully then it could go with the weakness of the other muscles and may rectify itself. I do take precautions for it happening so it's not a major problem .. just a bit annoying and I guess I am a bit embarrassed to be honest.
Thanks for info though.

Just to say I found the saran wrap idea very useful indeed, my 1st knee would not tolerate any bed clothes what-so-ever. But just using the cling film for a few nights solved the problem so easily. This second knee loves been all wrapped up in a snuggly blanket, but it is my ankle that hates a blanket over it this time.

Someone told me the theatre staff in the uk fasten our ankles in to a type of clamp to rotate the knee into the best position in theatre and some times the clamp is a little too tight-hence the pain. Wonder if anyone else has heard this?

Bladder control issues are fairly common following surgery and this situation should be temporary. Your body takes weeks to get over the trauma of surgery and back to normal functioning again. I used the panty-style adult incontinence pads after my surgery during the night. You might give that a try.

When I stand up from a sitting position I get like a muscle spasm on the outside of my calf in my surgical knee leg.
Is this normal? Makes it feel like the leg may give out on me . It goes after I walk a couple of steps.

I believe this is very common. Had it with my first knee. Hasn’t happened yet with my new surgery which was 10/28.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom