BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Multiple operations

Discussion in 'Other Joints Forum' started by ChefClay, Feb 21, 2018.

1. ChefClay

ChefClay new member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi, I just want to add a few words of reassurance to anyone considering surgery.

Over the last seven years I have had both knees replaced, cage in my lower spine, ’anchors’ inserted in both shoulders, eight toes ’fused’ and left hip replaced.
    Apart from a problem with my left hip (subject of another post in Hip Forum), I have had brilliant success in every treatment performed.
    If I can measure that by ’quality of life!, pre-surgeries I was virtually housebound and had been medically retired by the Police half-way through my career.
    Following the surgeries, I now have limited mobility, but far superior to what it was. I still have constant pain for which I take 450mg SR Tramadol per day, but nothing compared to the agony I used to have daily.

So, no magic solutions, but surgery has been extremely beneficial to me and I can offer nothing but praise to the four surgeons involved (Gateshead/Sunderland Nhs Hospital)

It is a personal choice and there is so much to consider, but I would personally recommend surgery if you have the offer by your consultant.

If I can be of assistance to anyone regarding my experiences, please do not hesitate to contact me.
    Regards, Paul (NE England) (63yrs old)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @ChefClay Thanks for posting such a supportive comment. Yes, we are all very lucky to have medical technology on our side!

Since you are a "pro" a this replacement stuff perhaps you might consider registering for our Joint Replacement Awareness Day. It's a chance to get updated and to support those that might be making the big decision to consider joint replacement.

The 4-6 hour conference will be broadcast from a studio in San Diego, California on April 14th. It will be timed to allow maximum participation from people around the world.

There will be a series of presentations (usually 10-15 minutes each) by experienced orthopedic surgeons on a wide variety of pre and post op topics. Since you have been through surgery several times, some of the surgery preparation topics may be familiar to you already. But I encourage you to tune into them as you may learn some little tidbits you didn't know.

We plan topics such as:
    * What happens during surgery?
    * How can technology help with joint replacement?
    * Customized joint replacements
    * A robot is doing my surgery?
    * Minimizing the risk of infection
    * Importance of physical therapy and nutrition
    * What happens after I leave the hospital
    * What is normal pain after surgery?

There are also 3 separate panel discussions planned where surgeons, nurses and patients will give their perspectives to questions and topics, some of which have been submitted by people when they registered.

Because we are still working on the program content, this list is not final nor is it all-inclusive. We expect to make some changes. But we expect to have approximately 20 different topics covered during the presentations.

On the day of the conference, you will be given instructions to log in to the conference, so that part of the process should be easy.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Once we get the program finalized, that information will be available on the JRAD website.