TKR Muldoh’s one year old TKR!

Thank you @Wolvesfan and @leejaa It’s amazing how much better you feel once your mind is at ease! I was so worried, at times even frantic, about the lack of PT, and whether I was doing the right thing. It’s good to know my body is doing what it should.

@Dizzy yes! Although I was so worried the whole time about not having anyone to check in with. I think without PT, they should at least do another OS or PA appt. to give their patients some peace of mind. Thank God I had BoneSmart and buddies like you to compare notes...it kept me a little more sane :console2:

So after my positive report from the doc this week, I guess I overdid it :umm: Last night my knee kept me up for a lot of the night, with pain on the inside of my knee and down into my leg. And when I woke up this morning, it’s still swollen and the scar looks raised and angry. I’ve been keeping track of my steps, to see if I can relate activity to discomfort, and for the past four days I’ve been doing about 6500 steps a day. I guess my knee isn’t happy with that and I should probably try to pull back? Also, the weather here (outside of Philadelphia) has really taken a dip, with temperatures in the upper 40s during the night and morning. I’m wondering if the change in weather could also be an issue? So today I guess I’m icing and elevating more. I know...2 steps forward, one back, ugh

The good part is that you realized that your knee was not happy and are adjusting your activities. Keep listening to your knee and exercise that patience muscle. The knee has its own schedule and does not always coincide with our wants and desires for activities but it does eventually give us great support for many years. It is all worth it in the end. You are doing great on this journey.

It’s very frustrating to realize we overdid it. :console2: It will most likely happen again, but the good news is, the more we heal, the quicker we recover from an overdoing event.

@leejaa and @Jockette As always, thank you for your reinforcement! My knee is still so tender and I think that all those tissues are just taking their time healing. But have either of you found that the weather aggravates the knee? It’s just gotten so chilly in my hometown!

@Muldoh Yes, I definitely notice a difference, more so on my right knee which was done 3 years ago. Not so much the cold, but definitely when it's rainy. These knees.....they never let you forget!!! :censored:

Yes, cold weather still bothers my knee 3+ years after surgery. It doesn’t swell, that I know of, but I haven’t actually looked, but my knee aches in cold weather, and even in the freezer section of a grocery store.

To make matters worse for me, my knee still despises pants. It’s not the incision, I remember that sensitivity, this is an awful feeling deep inside the joint, but mostly on the lower outside section of my knee. Just putting pants on feels like someone shoved a big stick into the side of the knee and left it there. Neither my surgeon nor 2 second opinions have an explanation. I think it’s nerve damage. My surgeon also did a lateral release during my replacement and I think something went wrong with it, because that’s where this awful feeling is.

I wear shorts at home, so my thermostat is set high enough for me to be comfortable in the winter in shorts.

@Jockette Thanks for your feedback! The rainy days seem to be worse for me too. And you’ve just given me another reason to avoid grocery shopping...the frozen food aisle :heehee: I am with you on the pants issue. I was just telling my friend that I was so glad I got this surgery in the heat of the summer because shorts and dresses were perfect. They left the incision open, it stayed dry, and probably healed better. But since the temperatures have dropped, I’ve been wearing pants the last three days and the sensitivity is really annoying. hoping it calms down a bit before I go back to work in two weeks because shorts will not cut it in the hospital!

@Dizzy thanks for reminding me about the saran wrap!! I actually used it last night for the first time and I really think it made a difference. I definitely plan on using it again tonight. Hope you’re doing well!

I agree with you both about the long pants. Wearing them now and it really bothers my knee. I walk around with one pants leg up...!looks great!!:heehee:.

@Dizzy maybe we should try the cling wrap under pants...that will make for a cute look too

You might want to try some soft leggings as they would cling to the knee more and not move around as an irritant. I love leggings and not because of knee issues but just for comfort especially soft stretchy ones.

I have not noticed any temperature sensitivity thank goodness but we are all different and my knee surgeries were about 7+yrs ago now.

@Dizzy maybe we should try the cling wrap under pants...that will make for a cute look too
@Muldoh Guess what!! I HAVE been wearing it under my Long pants! I thought it would be noisy but nope! I feel like I have a secret.... :giggle: Feels much better. I'll try anything!!!:heehee:

Oh my goodness! I totally read this as - we should wear cling wrap underwear vs wearing cling wrap on your leg underneath pants! And I thought eewww - see through underwear. Hahaha!!!

So I’m thinking/hoping this falls in the one step forward two steps back category…12 weeks post-op. But today when I started walking from a seated position, my knee just kind of gave out and I felt a pain behind the knee, more towards the outside of the knee. Thanking this could be a hamstring, but not sure. I have noticed a tightness over the last couple days when I first start walking, and now I’m thinking this was also part of the same issue. I have definitely been more active over the last few days and not icing and elevating much at all. Has anyone had this kind of problem and if so what is the best advice for dealing with it? I am really hoping that it would not be an issue with the replacement and something got dislodged?? But I definitely feel it clicking in that area behind the knee when I move it. Of course, I am getting frantic :thud: is it still normal to feel like this?

Last edited:
So I can’t believe it’s been three months since my TKR!! Time really does fly by, but definitely not while you’re going through it :umm: At three months I can’t say I’m happy yet, and my OS warned me about that. He said at 3 and 4 months I still wouldn’t consider him a friend, LOL, and he was right. I still have pain, swelling, and lots of clicking and clunking. I’m trying to be positive and thinking that this will diminish as I heal more. I think it’s better than it was a few weeks ago, but since I’m doing more now it’s hard to tell. And to be honest I’m probably not resting as much as I should. My activity level is between 7000 and 8000 steps a day just in activities of daily living. I also do about 15 minutes on the exercise bike almost daily. My family tells me to quit the bike, but it actually makes me feel much better and helps to deal with the stiffness that I tend to get. I’m thinking part of the problem may be that I seem to be a slow healer. My scar took almost 9 weeks to completely close up in spots so I’m thinking internal tissues are taking their time as well. Trying to be hopeful, especially since I will be starting back to work next week!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562