MUA MUA set back

They said if I did nothing that I wouldn’t get my rom back. Is that true. I’ve seen people on here getting their rom back without pt.
She just wants you to keep coming. If you don't come, they don't get paid for your visit. I believe it's a monetary thing. I never went to PT. My OS gave me a prescription for it and I just threw it away. What I did to recover was to do my own ADL, (activities of daily living). I took care of my house, yard, cats, and me, that's all. I recovered quite well without the awful pain, emotionally, mentally, and physically, without formal PT.

Not everyone recovers from joint surgery as I do. You have to do what works best for you! For me, I go for less pain with the same or even better results.

Told pt today I didn’t like coming their. They said if I did nothing that I wouldn’t get my rom back. Is that true. I’ve seen people on here getting their rom back without pt.
Wow, how are they going to say you're doing nothing? You're moving around, aren't you? You have to get up and go to the bathroom, and go to the kitchen to get something to eat, and if you get up every hour and take a few steps, well, all that is something, isn't it? I must tell you candidly that I have never entirely subscribed to the Bonesmart view that your knee will heal all by itself without any physical therapy, but in your case, perhaps that's the best course to take if your health care "professionals" are going to act like thugs and try to scare you. They barely gave you four weeks before doing an MUA, and they've been hurting you in physical therapy. I think you're right to put your foot down and tell them you don't like going. Once I got a physical therapist who was gentle and encouraging, I did much better. You should just ask them if they have a physical therapist who is kind and caring and who understands you have to go easy on a healing knee, and if they get up on their high horse, you can work on your knee yourself at your own pace. There is a ton of good information on this forum to help you get your ROM back, and it will come back once your knee feels better.

I was wondering if it’s normal to be on pain medication at 5 weeks? 7 days from my mua.

Yes, it’s very normal to be on pain medication at 5-6 weeks, even without an MUA. I took a combination of Tylenol and ibuprofen for months.

When does the pain subside enough to where I can get to taking just Tylenol and ibuprofen?

Each person is different as is your knee. It has been through a traumatic surgery and then long before it was close to being healed, it was again traumatized with a MUA. I imagine you'll be uncomfortable for a while yet. That MUA set your recovery back to that date, not your surgery date. That means that your knee is only 7 days out, not a month and 1 week old. Please treat it like the infant that it is. That means gentle movements that are not forced! I pray that you understand and can let that poor baby knee heal before causing it more unnecessary pain. :prayer:

Thank you for your thoughts sistersinhim. Will take it easy for now.

Switching to Tylenol and ibuprofen varies for everyone. My pain didn’t really subside enough when I switched over. I stopped my prescription at 11 days post op because I didn’t like the side effects. I was having major blurry vision and my doctor and I thought it could have been the medication. (Turns out it wasn’t) I never really felt like the dilaudud helped the pain anyway.

What are you taking for pain? Is Tylenol part of your regime?

@Jockette I started with oxy’s they were to strong. Bad dreams and depression. Went to hydrocodone 325mg 7.5. Been taking that with 1 Tylenol. When I go to pt I take a muscle relaxer too. It all make me depressed and foggy. But stops the pain. Was on my way to getting off until the mua.

Do you think you're icing and elevating enough? I found ice to be a huge pain reducer. I was using it even after 5 months out after I overdid. You might try increasing your time of icing and elevating. As long as you have some cloth between your knee and the ice pack, you can't over ice. I even iced all night long with a cold- water circulating machine. It would last about 4 hours and I'd get up and replace the frozen water bottles for another 4 hours of relief!

@sistersinhim Yes I ice frequently. Pt told me 20 minutes on 20 minutes off at least. Ice seems to get to My knee quicker than my hip. So I put two towels on first.

Twenty minutes does little to help with pain and swelling. We recommend at least 45 minutes each icing time. I iced the whole time I was sitting or laying down the first month or so. As I said, I iced all night long with only a break to replenish the frozen bottles. You can not over ice if you have a cloth between you and the ice source.

I think it's normal to be on pain medication when you're in pain! Seriously, considering all you've been through, it doesn't seem out of the way. Every person is different. I was able to stop all the narcotics after about six weeks, but now I'm having a setback. I live in San Diego, we're having a terrible heat wave of temperatures in the high nineties and sometimes the low hundreds day after day after day, and that has caused me a lot of pain. I always have pain in excessively hot weather because it aggravates my arthritis. Now my operative knee, which was doing pretty good, is back to being so swollen that I can barely bend it. So I'm back to taking a couple of codeine every day to deal with the pain. I don't think you should get hung up on numbers. Everyone is so different that the numbers just aren't helpful.

@Zanza thanks for the information. I’ll just keep plugging along. Your right everyone is different. Sorry you weather is so hot. I do love San Diego tho.

That article on ice is in our recovery guidelines. I know the guidelines are a long list, and it can look overwhelming, but each article is fairly short and is very informative and can be very helpful.

They said if I did nothing that I wouldn’t get my rom back. Is that true.
I understand the conundrum. The doctors and PTs are expert in their fields and they tell you that something dire will happen if you don't get aggressive. What do you do? You pay attention to your knee and your body, that's what. Don't sit on the sofa eating bon bons. You are your own motivator. Do gentle movements every day several times a day, and remember why you wanted to do the surgery. If you're experiencing pain, stop that exercise and try it again in a few weeks. Remember to look back a couple days for things that might cause pain, sometimes the impact is delayed. Keep tabs on what you're doing now that you couldn't do yesterday or last week. The wins are small at first - like lifting your leg or putting on your sock or tying your shoe or bending down to pick something up - but they get bigger.

I fired the young PT who, during week 1, had me hold a lunge on the step despite me crying real tears. The next PT was much more reasonable and gentle, obviously more experienced at rehabbing a replaced knee (vs. rehabbing an injured knee) but he was limited to my in-home care. With my LTKR, I let them push and pull and stretch me and even took the pain pills before PT (which is so counterintuitive - why would you try to mask pain that is telling you where you are limited). Anywho, I did give PT a try with this RTKR - 2 different services with 3 different professionals. I found that I was my best PT expert and although my OS wanted me to do PT, he agreed that having to recover for 3-5 days after each session meant that the protocol was too much for me. I took the exercises and spread them throughout my day a few times a week and I delayed the ones that were too tough. Could I have gone faster? Probably, but I had more interest in going far, all the way to NO PAIN.

Think of the activity or event that you'll do once all the healing is done. :yes!:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back