MUA MUA Post PT

Roxy18

Country
Philippines Philippines
Diagnosis: Open Left Knee Injury (Arthrotomy) March 27, 2021
MUA: July 6, 2021

I just had my MUA a week ago and right after my Doc told me to have aggresive PT right away. But then as my PT suggested to do it 1 week straight while the MUA still fresh. So it's just giving me pain and swelling right after every session. Before MUA I'm doing more on exercise PT not too aggressive but then ROM 45° too slow, I'm too impatient that time, month of May I've tried Chiropractic but then it also didn't work for me since I just felt pain ROM increased a bit. I stopped also the Chiro. Went back to my Surgeon and he said my knee was Arthrofibrosis then he scheduled the MUA. After procedure he sent photo a proof that he reached the end ROM so no reason now that I can't fully bend my knee.

Since PT is still ongoing and its just stressing me out how painful it is. Reason why I'm on this forum and I wanna give a try to listen what my body wants. I can see most of post here about TKR etc. different surgery from mine but not far from what I've been frustrating. I just want to share and hope to hear out from people here. Thanks

What impedes the movement is the swelling. Of course right after the manipulation it bends perfectly because the swelling hasn't started yet. I say listen to your body, but keep it moving gently. Just don't overdo it. Use ice and elevation.
I am no expert, but reading on this site has made me realize that it will heal in its own time if you keep moving. Good luck.

Welcome to Bonesmart!

The Bonesmart approach is to listen to your body, PT should not be painful, and if it is, then you’re doing something your knee/leg is not healed enough to do.

If you think PT is doing more harm than good, take a break and treat your knee gently for a week or so, and then see how you feel.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Hello @Roxy18 ,
Please can you tell us if you had an accident that led to you needing an arthrotomy, and what had to be repaired inside your knee joint? That will help us to understand what was involved in the arthrotomy. It is relevant to your Range of Motion (ROM) and why you had the MUA.

I agree with the others - cut that PT right back.

Your knee was wounded again by the MUA and any exercise needs to be very gentle.

Hello @Roxy18 ,
Please can you tell us if you had an accident that led to you needing an arthrotomy, and what had to be repaired inside your knee joint? That will help us to understand what was involved in the arthrotomy. It is relevant to your Range of Motion (ROM) and why you had the MUA.

I had motor accident. They need to clean the knee since it was open injury it may cause infection it shouldn't be open to environment as doctor said if they didn't cut open and clean it inside it will get infected.

Had MUA cuz I can't fully bend my knee progress is too slow for me. Thought this MUA would be best option so I can physically fit again bend my knee at full range. I'm 27 y/o I wanna do a lot of activities but my knee telling me it's not ready.

Thank you for the information about your accident. What date was that?

Since your knee had to be opened up, it could take a long time to recover, depending on how much damage was done.
Some knee surgeries, such as a replacement, can take a full year to recover completely.

I don't think you're going to be able to speed up your recovery, I'm afraid. Try not to be in a hurry. Give your knee as much time as it needs and you should get a good result.

I know it's hard to be patient, especially when you're young and used to being active, but being patient now will be a good investment towards having a satisfactory result in the end.

Since your knee had to be opened up, it could take a long time to recover, depending on how much damage was done.
Some knee surgeries, such as a replacement, can take a full year to recover completely.

I don't think you're going to be able to speed up your recovery, I'm afraid. Try not to be in a hurry. Give your knee as much time as it needs and you should get a good result.

I know it's hard to be patient, especially when you're young and used to being active, but being patient now will be a good investment towards having a satisfactory result in the end.
I really want to wait for the right time. I'm just really scared and worried a lot right now if I stopped my PT and my ROM is around 100° is it going to be stuck like that and be stiff again?

You may lose a little bit of ROM, but not much. The problem is that intensive PT is likely to keep your knee swollen and inflamed, which is counter-productive.

You may lose a little bit of ROM, but not much. The problem is that intensive PT is likely to keep your knee swollen and inflamed, which is counter-productive.
Is ROM will go back in time?
It's been two days now I tried to stop my PT and intense exercise at home. Just really doing my daily activities. I can see the swollen subside.

ROM should return as time passes.

It's not exercising that gets you your ROM - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your knee has the potential to achieve good ROM right from the start, but it's prevented from doing so by swelling and pain. As it heals and the swelling goes down, your ROM (both flexion and extension) will increase spontaneously, whether you do formal PT or just let your normal Activities of Daily Living (ADLs) be your exercise.

ROM should return as time passes.

It's not exercising that gets you your ROM - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your knee has the potential to achieve good ROM right from the start, but it's prevented from doing so by swelling and pain. As it heals and the swelling goes down, your ROM (both flexion and extension) will increase spontaneously, whether you do formal PT or just let your normal Activities of Daily Living (ADLs) be your exercise.

Thank you so much for all the information and advice. I'll take it by heart. I'll update after weeks for the progress.

Hi @Roxy18, I am just curious about how your progress now since it has been a month ago since your MUA. And what activities have you been doing that you think helped with your ROM after MUA?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022