Mrsa

Status
Not open for further replies.

tygerlylli

The pre-op nurse swab my nose with gaint Q-tips:hate-shocked: for MRSA. I found out today that I have a light growth of MRSA in my nose.

My OS surgeon put me on Bactroban 2% Ointment twice a day for 5 days and to shower in Hibiclens until day of surgery.

I hope and pray everything will be all right after these treatments.:thumb:

Jamie

OneStep AMBASSADOR ..Staff member since Feb 2009..
Senior Administrator
Country
United States United States
OneStep Ambassador Icon
Tygerlylli......please don't worry about the positive test for MRSA. That's why they do the swabs in the first place so that all possible precautions can be taken prior to your surgery.

MRSA is a type of staph bacteria that can exist on the bodies of healthy people. The fact that it was found in this pre-test just means that you will take these extra precautions prior to your surgery. It shouldn't delay it at all.

referee54

omega
Country
I agree with Jamie. Many healthy people have tested positive for MRSA---and have taken the prescribed steps---as you are doing---and they, just like you ---had/will have no problems with their surgery.

kneeper

Staff member since January 2014
BoneSmart Staff
Country
The good thing is they found it now, so hopefully no problems later.

Recycled

senior
Country
Tygerlylli,
They do that swab and test for MRSA and then tend to forget about it like it's not a big concern. Maybe because they're not you and it's not them getting the surgery. Mine test negative, but if it did test positive, I would make any MRSA followups my top priority. Be proactive and make sure it's gone befrore any surgery. After everything I read (check out "Rest Assured" threads on here) about MRSA, you do not want a trace of it around. That's just my two cents worth. Not trying to scare you, just to be through. With me, after already having both my Knees done, I am most concerned with my day to day health where there is a possibility of any type infection. I bring it up to any Doc I see for any condition. The implants are more prone to issues with infection and the remedies are not very desirible. Just be sure for you own peace of mind, the MRSA's gone before you let 'm cut.

RestAssured

BoneSmart Staff
Country
Hello Tygerlylli!

Welcome to BoneSmart and I can probably help you with your concerns about MRSA.:th_heehee:

First, thankfully, they did a test to see if you have MRSA! A lot of people are reporting that they are not doing this as a regular part of screening from what I understand. Especially in some states.

Ok, now you have found you have MRSA in your nose. What does that mean to you? It probably means you are colonized like a lot of the general population. I would only start to worry if I was running a fever, could not get out of bed, ached all over, started crying at the drop of a hat, saw skin changes like redness and blisters appearing; etc. My husband was tested and was colonized. He had to go through the Muproxin, and the Hibiclens just like I did.

Before you go to surgery, make sure that you use the muproxin, scrub with the hibiclens for at least 2 weeks and you should be fine. Tell your doctor that you want him to take the extra precautions in surgery also. You want him to know that you are being viligant and you are serious about what is going on. Don't let him blow this off.

Right now, you are just colonized in all likelihood, and it can be eradicated. Don't let the doctors take it lightly. I don't want you to have to follow my path. I am here for anything that you need. I am not trying to scare you. Please don't think that. I just want you to be safe!:wink1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 2017
  • PolarIce
    Staff member since January 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 2018

Forum statistics

Threads