THR Moving into calmer waters'

So glad to hear you have made a decision about work----I could "hear" the relief in your post---of not having to keep working in that environment any more.

Your ER trip must have been so scary. But I am glad it provided you the clarity to make your job decision, and focus on your health. I imagine you are going to find yourself feeling so much better in all regards, having made the difficult decision, and being free now to take care of yourself.

I hope those at home are good with your decision---I know you were a little worried about it. But I imagine they can already see the positive difference in you. Are you still having to be monitored for a possible clot, or was it a "false alarm"? Have a good weekend!:flwrysmile:

As far as the blood clots, they did do some blood tests. I was told everything was fine, they wanted to be sure considering the severe chest/neck pain I was having. My primary care doctor and the triage is who called several times to go to ER..they just said the fact that I had recent major surgery, that they wanted to be sure. When I was at the hospital, they told me I was experiencing a high level of anxiety and gave me something for that and they wanted me to follow up. (it felt like someone punched me in the chest) I certainly think that stress was contributing to the symptoms that landed me there.

I am so thankful, though that I can walk again. Earlier in my recovery, I spent several hours writing down my entire experience with my recovery and my doctor's office and home health. Out of all of this the home health and home PT by far was the most positive experience..don't know what I would have done without their guidance and help. I still think my doc was pushing me way to hard to go to outpatient PT.

Again I had someone mention that you HAVE to do the PT to avoid scar tissue.. mmmm

As far as how I am feeling now:
Can walk without assistance; As far as my gait, I still have a slight dragging of feet and have to still remind myself "heal, toe" "Heal, toe"..my mind is remembering all of that limping!

I have numbness still in the back of my leg and slightly around the front. The home health told me that eventually this would go away as the nerves grow back. This is confusing because when I first came out of surgery and the OS came to visit he said there was no guarantee. A nurse in the hospital said it was "unusual" to have the numbness as far down in my leg as I have had - that is it was very numb just above the knee and around the side and back of my leg. I experience now the most numbness behind my leg just below the buttocks, and some of the numbness in lower leg above knee is going away. Out patient PT (one of the 2 times I went) told me to just rub the whole area with a towel..I guess to stimulate the area?

I still cannot completely bend/fold my leg like I was going to sit on my knees.

Slept well last night!!

Last edited:
Great about sleeping well. That might be a strong sign that chucking your job in was the right decision. But “constructive dismissal” possibly as you were obviously bullied out of the job. Might still be worth getting some advice on this...

Hope you now have time to concentrate on You and no more toxic environments.

So glad the tests came out negative (in a positive) way :)

It sounds like you're doing really well. Happy to read it. Awesome you slept well too!
Let's tag @Josephine about the numbness and let her enlighten us all with her opinion. Hopefully she'll be able to offer you some reassurance, we'll see. With 50+ yrs experience, she's pretty knowledgeable about all things Orthopedic.
Hopefully things are looking up and your days begin feeling brighter :SUNsmile:
@Trailgirl

“constructive dismissal” possibly as you were obviously bullied out of the job. Might still be worth getting some advice on this...
I had to look that term up: "Constructive dismissal"
Yes, I have looked into this some and there is a free law clinic here that happens twice a week.. thought I would run it by them next week at some point.

Well don’t put too much pressure on yourself, but there is usually a time limit for making a claim. Just printout and bring any emails, evidence etc that you have of intimidation as heresay won’t be enough. If you rattle them enough they may make a settlement to shut you up.... but you have to be sure of your ground. Otherwise just walk away and get on with a better life!

@SurreyGirl yes, and thank you for your reply..it is a shame. I don't know if the battle is worth it for me, I already feel like I have been in a war zone :tiredwheel:LOL! I will probably check it out just for my own FYI and sanity sake. I certainly would not have the money and moral support anywhere for a lawsuit.. There was another time in my life that this happened to me years ago..the supervisor was a screamer :scare:no one liked her..again I went to management and it only got worse. I had just lost my father at the time and ended up resigning. The stress of this phenomenon can really affect your performance. I remember that I took a few months to regroup and got back on the saddle.

Yes, I am just focusing on calm waters..well I am picturing more like a lake and a sailboat. I am the captain and it is time to head away from the storm. There could be more storms in life but I will say this: Hallelujah.. I made through the war zone and came out with a brand new hip!!

Last edited:
Yes, I am just focusing on calm waters..well I am picturing more like a lake and a sailboat. I am the captain and it is time to head away from the storm. There could be more storms in life but I will say this: Hallelujah.. I made through the war zone and came out with a brand new hip!!

Great start! Time to move forward without looking back. You made a wise decision and I pray it brings you the peace of mind you deserve.
Sail on! :capn:
@Trailgirl

still remind myself "heal, toe" "Heal, toe"
Why do you want your toe to heal? :heehee:

Or did you mean 'heel'! (just kidding!)
A nurse in the hospital said it was "unusual" to have the numbness as far down in my leg as I have had - that is it was very numb just above the knee and around the side and back of my leg. I experience now the most numbness behind my leg just below the buttocks,
Can you show me where you are experiencing this numbness using this chart?

aa knee-references-horz.jpg

thought I would run it by them next week at some point.
In the UK we have at least 12 months before the deadline to bring these issues to court.
You might want to check that for the US.

Thank you @Josephine ,
On the back side: ALB4 and ALB3--more so ALB3 -and really it is in the boxes above the A..what would that be AA or zero? Also BLB4 and BLB3 - and around the side in that area are still numb

On the front side: CLF3 and CLF4; BLF3 and BLF4; and ALF3 and ALF4 - all of this area extended around my leg to the side and back when I got out of surgery was very very numb; the "C" quadrant area closer to my knees is beginning to get feeling back. When I told the nurse about CLF3 & 4 area being numb, I was told that was unusual the they rarely received reports of that!

Hahaha :heehee: subconsciously I am needing to "heal" but was referring to when the home PT wanted me to be conscience of walking Heel, toe, heel, toe.. etc.

ps... I went to church today and reached out.. it was wonderful to be around people and to walk! I still have to take one stair at a time and my legs feel like jello...I remember xmas services limping and being in so much pain

Oh, and I wanted to add.. I got so caught up in the war at work I didn't follow up with trying to find out what implant I had. I pulled all of my medical records in one giant pile that I sent off Friday to my ST disability.. fortunately I will still get a small pay that will last me a few months. But I was really concerned about what type of metal (hopefully it was titanium) that it was and was going to try and google it or find out

I like your positive attitude. Maybe you should think about changing your thread title to “moving into calmer waters”!

So great about the visit to the church. Those differences before and after are worth noting :)

My primary care doctor and the triage is who called several times to go to ER..they just said the fact that I had recent major surgery, that they wanted to be sure.

I had exactly the same situation last week. Thankfully I was fine.. Glad to hear that you are too. x

So like this? With the blue being the numb area?

trailgirl.jpg

That is awesome! So happy you reached out at church, such a great step forward. Your mood feels lighter.
Even though you're taking the steps toddler style and your legs feel a little weak, you're making progress.
No more of the bad pain, just healing discomfort. I hope you have a great week!
Stay in touch.
@Trailgirl

Isn't it amazing how making a decision can cause such a positive ripple effect? Sounds like you are on a great pathway to recovery for your hip, and for the rest of your life as well! :SUNsmile:

So like this? With the blue being the numb area?

how I feel now: the area you marked red should be blue..the orange is getting a little better and the blue is kind of better now..I am going to upload pictures may illustrate better. The blue being numb and the orange being where it is getting better
Right after surgery:
upload_2019-4-15_12-10-2.jpeg

Now:
upload_2019-4-15_12-10-12.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi @Trailgirl
New beginnings. Great start with the updated thread title.
I hope you have a peaceful, lovely week. :)

@Josephine so is it normal to still have numbness? Most of it now is in the back of my leg and inner thigh

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562