Moving Forward On Two New (Conformis) Knees

Thanks, Celle. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Jo. I'll go with that plan. Many thanks.

Three days til your first surgery!! I am so excited for you! How is Carlos feeling? I can imagine it is quite stressful to try to open a place and be injured!

Did you ever figure out your car ride home situation??

He has been so busy that he hasn't called today. He surely did not want to go in because he wanted to stay home and help me.

My dad and I worked through a game plan for getting home. My hope is that I am able to get in and situated considering the four hour trip home.

Today I have been at peace knowing I have prepared as best I can. Walking into the unknown is frightening but I have read so many threads here that I feel prepared to ice, elevate, take my meds as scheduled and to not let anyone push me to pain. I know that it is my right to say that I would prefer a hands off approach allowing my knees to heal as they will.

I have bone broth ready for my return as well as holistic supplements to move me along.

I now place my well being into something much bigger than myself. One day and step at a time.

On our way to South Carolina. One uneventful meal at Cracker Barrel followed by a call from a nurse advocate for United Healthcare who managed to tell me how difficult BTKR surgeries are and that people who have robotic surgical experiences (which I am not) generally have better outcomes. At this point I will most likely not answer my telephone to any unknown numbers. My anxiety level is escalating. Time to find a quiet place to settle into this.

You are having the custom conformis knee, right? Don't worry about a comparison to robotic or computer assisted. I was stressed about that prior to my custom conformis surgery until I watched a real time conformis surgery on youtube. It turns out to be a variation on the same thing. The custom knee comes with series of computer created overlays. I forget what they are called but they remind me of jigs used for woodwork with spots to show them where to drill and cut. They were created from the prior CAT scan for your custom knee and everything matches up perfectly. That's one of the reasons the surgery goes more quickly regular surgery. So its computer assisted but the computer does the work prior to surgery.

I had originally planned a computer assisted surgery and the due to insurance had to change doctor and interviewed new surgeons. Even the doctor I didn't choose who did the conventional knee with computer assistance says that the two surgeries have similar success rates. I'm totally happy I went with the custom conformis knee and it seems to me that my recovery has been quicker than average. Good luck!

Most of us were pretty stressed prior to surgery. It will most likely be fine and over before you know it.

Thank you. Fine and over with it sounds good right about now. I continue to trust my excellent surgeon. That and divine intervention of course. :praying::angel:

Closing down my day here at the Marriott. My evening has consisted of dinner with the folks and then to my own room. A quiet night of coloring bluebirds in trees. I can certainly see the attraction to colored pencils and adult coloring books. I am exhausted. A shower and then sleep.

Tomorrow is the pre-op appointment and a joint class. One more day until the first of two surgery days.

On a positive note, they sell Starbucks in the lobby.

Good luck to you PoetryChef. I had BTKR just 10 weeks ago and it was mostly pain free and nothing like what other people had told me. I am now no longer taking any meds and I am back to work part time. My advice to you is have a really positive attitude and focus on a great outcome. I also kept a diary of my time in hospital so that I could write down any information the nurses and physios gave me, also to write down my daily achievements, no matter how small, and also I filled it with positive affirmations and what my goals were to be once I was recovered.
All the best wishes to you and don't worry a bit.

Thank you so much, Dianna. Perhaps there is a place to purchase a lovely little journal nearby. Thanks for your words of encouragement.

My best
Sherry

A fitful night of sleep. Breakfast at the bistro downstairs. Before I had even made it to the counter I was approached by a woman who worked with me a year ago. She now works at the bistro and began to talk about my cooking and about how much she misses my food.

Isn't God good? Constantly surrounding us with people who lift us up.

Now time to finish my coffee and disability paperwork. Time to shower and pull the last of walking on my own knees together. Time to primp, put on comfortable clothes and meet with my physician assistant. Many questions. At 4:00 the joint class begins.

I think I can do this. Poor Carlos feels horrible that he isn't here. I am so thankful that my mother and father are.

God Bless you on this journey ... I like what @Dianna_WA had to say about positive attitude and to keep a diary. I'll be praying for you!!! :praying:

Tomorrow is the day!!! I hope your joint class goes well, I am trying to get to mine on Thurs if I can find a sitter. Praying for your surgery tomorrow and hope you get some sleep tonight!!! <3

At the pre-op appointment now. Nerves are shifting into overdrive.

Heavenly father, peace in abundance please. Just breathe.

I just prayed that God will give you peace and wraps you in His loving arms!

Thank you so much. I became so nervous that I was nauseous. Now to get through this night.

The pre-op went just fine. The PA said I should not use the Lounge Doctor because of a constriction adhesion or something along that line. I will be in a very small boutique hospital that thankfully believes in icing and elevation in some super fancy recliners.

I was thankfully given a follow-up script of the med that insurance shorted me. I have listened to the mantras and engraved them in my mind.

Many thanks to all who are praying for me. Tonight while on tour of the hospital one of the occupational therapists and I were accidentally locked out when viewing the outside prayer garden. Such a lovely place in which I was immediately at peace. We could certainly been confined in much worse places.

I did find out that I will not receive general anesthesia and will have spinal anesthesia instead. I understand there is a more gentle transition through this without general. I was assured that I will be unaware of anything until I awake in post-op. I was also told that the game changer will occur on Friday when the second surgery happens.

I will check in as I am able.

Peace and blessings to each of you,
Sherry

PA said I should not use the Lounge Doctor because of a constriction adhesion
Well, that's a new one for me! I guess all of us that have been elevating this way for years after this surgery have been doing it wrong! It sure made me feel better! I don't think I'd worry about what that PA said unless there's a real medical reason for not using it after your surgeries. I looked up that term and there's nothing on Google about it. @Jamie, @Josephine, have you ever heard of constriction adhesion?

The PA said I should not use the Lounge Doctor because of a constriction adhesion or something along that line.
That's a new one on me! And you're right, sistersinhim, there is nothing like that on a Google search. @PoetryChef....for now I'd just go with what the hospital protocol is and once you get back home you can make your own decisions about what works well for you and what doesn't. Many of our members have had good success with elevation aids like the Lounge Doctor, so I feel safe in saying that whatever "constriction adhesions" might be you won't get them!

Next time you see that therapist, ask for a detailed explanation. I'd love to know what they think will happen if elevate your legs using something like the Lounge Doctor!

Thank you, Jamie. Just really looking forward to going home. I am expected at the hospital in two hours and have enjoyed an unexpected good night's sleep.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom