Moving Forward On Two New (Conformis) Knees

Such a lovely work day. Caring customers bring coloring books and pencils, treats for my dogs, books on canning and on heavenly reflections. I know that I am immensely blessed. The kindness and concern for me is palpable. One day, one step at a time. They say what doesn't break you will make you stronger. Stronger works for me.

A technical question concerning elevation: If the foot should be above the hip and not above the heart, but in severe cases toes over nose, is there a reason to not elevate so high for a good amount of the time? I gave my new recliner a test drive while using the Lounge Doctor and it was definitely toes over nose and quite comfortable that way. It is ok to have your legs straight out in the recliner as long as it is not angled downward, right? Thanks. :umm:

Keeping your legs completely straight might be a bit uncomfortable. It's OK to have a little bend.

If you're comfortable with toes above the nose, why not? You may find it's a bit difficult to have your leg elevated as high as that all the time, though.

Just my personal experience... I did not use my Lounge Doctor on my recliner, only in my bed or, occasionally, on the sofa. For my recliner, I found it most comfortable to put a pillow or two under my legs to elevate them higher than the recliner’s leg platform. At first I used two pillows, while I lay back, and later I used one pillow. For me it was most comfy to have a slight bend in my knees. My left knee did not reach full extension for a few months, after I stopped elevating with pillows.

Many days, due to family circumstances, I spent my days in bed. Then I used my Lounge Doctor and pillows at my back as desired, I slept every night for eight hours with my legs elevated on the LD. I was comfy and never had any issues as a result.

These days, the only elevation I do is use of an ottoman, same height as sofa, when seated. And that’s not all the time, just some of the time. It works fine for me now, but at the beginning it would not have been enough elevation, IMO.

Last edited:
Good Morning!

It's almost our month for surgery! Hard to believe in just a little over a week you will be all said and done with not one but two new knees! How are you feeling?

@SpaceGirl, I feel like I am running out of time and that I still have so much to do. I'm on the phone right now waiting on the nurse advocate for the insurance company to speak with my pharmacist. My post-op meds were denied then approved after my surgeon went toe-to-toe for me. Now to work the approval through the system. Unfortunately, there is a speed bump. I know for sure I am not leaving Raleigh without my return pain meds. No way. I am working both of my jobs until Friday and then the weekend off to pull this all together. My hospital bed will be delivered Wednesday, the lift chair on Friday. Arrgh! I need to purchase a few clothing items, pack, and visit with my son and other vip's in my life.

How are you doing?

The first couple of weeks I lived in gowns at home. The first week I had on Depends, just in case. But, praise God that wasn't a problem for me! Until you can move quick enough, I suggest you go panty free. With two knees done, you will be moving slower than us onezies!

I had an ice machine that I used the whole time I was sitting and in bed. This allowed me to reduce the need for narcotics quicker. The way they are coming down on doctors prescribing them, you can't get them like you could a year or so ago.

How can this be? I am now in the single digits with 9 and 11 days until my knee surgeries. Today's battle with the insurance company was a test of wits to be sure. They finally filled my 2nd Nycenta prescription but giving enough extended release for 1 every 12 hours instead of the 1-2 if needed. I spoke with the pharmacist who advised to take extra strength Tylenol in an attempt to not rely too heavily on the Nycenta. Honestly, approved to have two knees replaced but worried over a few pills. Crazy.

My hospital bed arrives Wednesday, things are wrapping up at work and I am looking forward to getting past the pain I am in each day.

Thank you, @sistersinhim. I thought those late night races to the bathroom might be an issue. Another thing to add to the shopping list. I recently made a rather large purchase of pj's and lounging clothes to get me through the post-op time. Jeans won't cut it, I'm sure. They say you're not a proper Southern woman if you're not running a balance on your Belk's card. I'm certain Southern these days. :)

@SusieShoes, last night another test run of the new recliner chair in my bedroom. I managed to fall asleep in spite of one Maltese and one cat sleeping on me. A dilemma, how to retrain the critters to stay clear of the new knees. :skep:

@SpaceGirl, my husband arrived and I have yet to remove him from the box. A walking cane recommended by PT and my bed tray are here as well. I just completed my pre-op interview with a nurse at the hospital who said it is going to be rough with two knees but that they will take good care of me.

Apparently the er nurses love to place your iv in the elbow area but my thought to them will be a :bignono:. Apparently this will remain in my arm for the whole time I am there-5 or 6 days. I cannot imagine not bending my arm for that long but of course they look for the best vein.

Oh, dear, God. This is really happening. The hospital bed will be delivered tomorrow. All hospital pre-op requirements are met.

One follow up with my primary on Thursday, then my pre-op with the PA who assists the OS in surgery on Tuesday immediately followed by the joint class at the hospital. Twelve hours later surgical prep begins.

This is really happening.

Time is funny that way. It moves along inexorably, sometimes feels faster or slower, but always moves forward, never backward (unless you're Aymara, in which case it is moving backward and we are mere observers of the results of our decisions). In any event, you catch up to the event and it happens. :ok: Before you know it, you will have your new knees.

When you do, be sure to remind yourself that you wanted this. :yes!: That "what have I done?" phase is short and on the other side is the "these knees are kind of cool... let's see what they can do" phase.

Sounds like you have everything in place, or almost in place. The most important things are ice, a place in which to rest a lot, a way to elevate, more ice, and some help for early on. Looks like you've checked those boxes. :)

Jeans won't cut it. No way. I'm wearing them now, including skinny jeans, but for the first couple of months... would have been like trying to stuff my knees into sausage casings. And then they would have been unbendable in the jeans. Just not happening.

An honest note on bilateral knee placements: the first couple weeks are kind of rough, just like your nurse said. You'll be very happy to have those pain pills. Walking to the bathroom will be an act of sheer will over pain and stiffness. You will curse low toilets, low seats, everything low that you have to get up from, possibly including your recliner (this site includes ideas for how to raise it). But the first time you stand on your two knees will be pure magic and you will be surprised at how sturdy and capable they are right from the start. If only they didn't hurt.

The arthritis pain will be gone. The other pain... you can handle.

The animals... they can be interesting. My dog was very diffident about my knees. The walker scared her, I think, and she kept a respectful distance. (She's a standard poodle, so never jumped up on my lap or legs.) If you think your knees are at risk (a jump onto your new knees might not damage anything, but chances are it will HURT to have something land atop your fresh incisions), try putting up some kind of barrier. A couple of chairs on either side with a throw over your knees, like a tent. At least visually that might deter them.
I loved my new knees from the moment I first bent them in recovery. I'm hoping you love yours too! :flwrysmile:

@PoetryChef I am making it! Been busy with volleyball tournament and Halloween stuff with the kids. I am glad your husband arrived! You will have to let me know how you like it. IE, try it before surgery LOL I think a cane and a bed tray are smart. What kind of tray did you get? One you can sit on the bed or a roll under the bed type deal? I am trying to decide what I want, I'll probably end up with one you just sit with. Unless I can find a used one cheap on craigslist or the like.

Two new knees for you so soon! I am glad you finally got the insurance stuff worked out!!!

Keep in mind you really don't need to buy a lot of stuff. If you want to buy things, go to town, but you're not going to need any of it for long. Trays, for instance... I used a plain old snack tray for beside my recliner. We had them anyway and it worked just fine. Any sort of table would do. I used another beside the bed for a couple of weeks, after which the regular nightstand worked perfectly well.

It's easy to overspend on recovery products (which ironically seem more necessary before recovery than during or after). A cane is essential. Lots of other things are whims. I can say this because I got carried away with pre-planning and bought several things I never used!

I am a cat rescuer, and at the time of my surgery, I had 13 to take care of. I had just one incident that hurt. It was my youngest male who was laying on my lap and when he decided to get down, he used my new knee as a spring board. I yelled because it hurt, but none of them were ever a problem after that. I even had one or two of them on my lap almost constantly. With the ice machine cuff wrapped around my knee, they didn't like the cold, so they stayed away from the knee! I think you'll be just fine!

Now down to three days of work which means in six days we leave for Columbia. Nearly impossible to get much done while working two jobs, but it will happen.

Today I told my boss that he still has me for three more days and if there is anything he needs to let me know. He was so kind and said he would not put one thing on me and that I needed to just go and take care of myself. He also said that I have handled this whole situation with such grace and that I have prepared well for my own absence and surgery. At this point, I am enjoying the last few days before my twelve weeks off.

Tomorrow, I am building a nest in the place that I am returning home to. The hospital bed arrives before noon and I will work to make sure it is a safe place to land until Thanksgiving.

I vividly remember the last week of stress before surgery. It seemed overwhelming and very scary and I kept thinking of everything that could go wrong. Once I went in and things got going, it was okay. I was well taken care of and given plenty of antinausea meds. You will manage and while the first few weeks will be intense, it will all work out and you will recover quickly on your new conformis knees. You can't imagine how much better the knees will be. I had truly forgotten how it felt to be able to walk as long as you need to without pain. I'm 16 weeks out and doing normal 10 or 12 hour days on my feet . Not 100% normal yet but it is so wonderful to be able to do what I want without pain side lining me. You will get there too.

Just inside ten days I will have two new knees. I am so thankful for my parents and for my Carlos. Today we are all busy as bees buzzing around getting my nest prepared for the return. My hospital bed arrived today with a brand new mattress (thankful for the little things). The room is emptied waiting for the lift recliner to arrive on Friday morning. I have a small bookshelf waiting for my necessities. A new snuggly electric blanket is on the bed plugged in and ready-to-go. My mother is presently washing linens which will greet me later next week. I have more bottled water, food bars and supplies for protein shakes than I will ever need. Mom says to just let her know what I would like to eat. There is a Bose speaker ready for Netflix marathons, books to read, magazines, coloring books and one parakeet named Sir Chirpalot to keep me entertained when all else is quiet. People I know and don't know promise to pray me through this. One day, one step at a time.

You are prepared and ready to go on to your new life!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
LeonGirl
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom