Lounge Doctor

THR Moving ahead/ lateral approach

Mythmomma

Country
Canada Canada
My Surgeon who initially was hesitant to perform surgery has decided to go ahead. Unfortunately it won't be for several months due to backlog from the shutdown. The radiologist told the surgeon that waiting was not in my best interest.
She is doing the Lateral Approach. I was wondering what experience others have had with this method.
I'm just relieved to be on the list. The plan is to start with the Right and do the Left 6 months later.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
She is doing the Lateral Approach.
My right THR was lateral. I found this much easier to deal with than posterior. No sitting on the incision and I could sleep on my non-op side with a pillow between my legs at 3 weeks out.

Glad you are now on the wait list. Hope you get a date very soon!

DancerHips

Country
United States United States
I also had the lateral approach. My surgeon said that this way the risk of nerve injury from the anterior approach could be avoided. I am two weeks out tomorrow and feel that things have gone pretty well so far. Hoping to get off the walker and cleared to drive at my Thursday appointment!

Lots of people younger than you have had this surgery. Hopefully your wait isn't too long!

BellaMac

Country
Yes, I hope you get a date that is sooner rather than later.

Going4fun

graduate
Country
My surgeon does the lateral approach ... lateral and front, called "anterolateral."

Just go with a surgeon you trust who has a good record. You can't really predict much based on the approach. It's the skill of the surgeon that matters.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
LisaM
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom