Revision TKR Motherbone's Recovery Thread

I want to thank everyone for their support and suggestions.
I'm out of the boot and into a non weight bearing case on the left ankle. i have residual pain but it is less. I thought I might be able to reach a new level of coping on my own but I have difficulty pivoting on the right leg and my knee buckled last night even with the brace, after which I almost fell. i fought the idea of rehab but clearly I cannot do this on my own so I've asked my PCP to proceed with the referral. I'll post updates whenever I can. I've never been in a SNF for rehab, I'm low on optimism right now, and I don't know what to expect.

The new ankle doctor was very helpful and informative. He says 6 weeks non weight bearing. He also looked at the left knee and noted I will have to have surgery to straighten it in the future, but that the ankle needs to heal first.

I truly sympathize and empathize with you, your pain, and your plight.

I recently started a Posterior Tibial Tendonitis (PTT) thread in the Other forums section if any if you want to read my experience with PTT. Good input from Jockette there as well.

Please continue to share.

PS I agree with everyone about wearing supportive (motion control) shoes (with orthotics if you have them) all the time. I am only without mine in bed, in the shower, and when elevating to ice or use the tens machine.

:console2::console2:I hope things improve for you soon.

Good luck at your rehab facility.

Hope rehab is helpful and a positive experience.

@Motherbone , you have had such a difficult journey! My heart goes out to you. My wish for you is that all of this will be a distant memory soon :console2: Sending you lots of prayers as you heal that ankle!

@Motherbone, so sorry to hear what you've been through. I was looking to see how you where going post op as we were supposed to be getting our TKR on the same day. My issues seem of little consequence in comparison. Hoping rehab is a great experience for you and you can start and make progress.

OK, I'm not going to a SNF for rehab. I've been in contact with my PCP and I am going to try Home Health instead. Hoping for some PT to the shoulders and general conditioning. I just felt that if I went in, I might never come out. I don't know why I felt that way. But I have to pay attention to those feelings when they come up.

I have been able to do without painkillers for the past 48 hours, except for extra-strength Tylenol, so that is a good sign. I have only occasional twinges of pain above my ankle in the general vicinity of the tibia fracture.

I am dealing with depression. Any suggestions would be welcome. i am so thankful for all of you.
@marieltha I will check out that thread.

I so wish I lived closer. I’m sure a bunch of us feel the same way.

I hope you’ll be more comfortable at home. I was worried about you going to a facility. I think you lose a lot of control, and you are subjected to too many opinions that might not be to your liking.

I’m glad your pain level has lessened.

I so wish I could fix all this for you. :console2:

Home Health sounds like a good option for you. :flwrysmile:

I am awaiting further instructions/contact from Home Health. My appetite is a little better. I was alternating between extreme constipation and diarrhea but things seem to be gradually smoothing out today (ha!). I still haven't taken anything other than extra strength Tylenol. My husband surprised me with a smaller electric wheelchair with a turning radius that allows me to go pretty much where I want to in our 1950's ranch-style home and I've begun to learn how to use it. What a difference a little mobility makes!!! I must be getting a little better because I am starting to not want to lay on the bed all the time like I did at first. I'm learning lateral transfers from wheelchair to recliner and to shower bench but I'm stumped about how to get on the toilet properly that way. Hoping Home Health can show me some techniques, my PCP said they are supposed to make an assessment of what equipment is needed in addition to any PT/OT. I use a bedside commode at night, the only problem is that my bed is higher than normal (we have one of those thick mattresses) so i have to stand up on one leg within the walker and then pivot around to get on it. I'm trying to keep those maneuvers to a minimum because I fear damaging my right ankle with too much weight and force. Oh how I pray that these stress fractures heal timely and without complications! Hoping everyone is doing well and healing apace.

It sounds like you're seeing improvements daily! Your husband is a doll for getting you that small electric chair! When I was non-weight bearing after my foot/ankle breaks I had the standard size manual wheelchair. What a pain that thing was! But, thank God I had it! It was impossible for me to use crutches and the hopping around on one foot was killing my old knee. I would have loved to have had an electric one. I'm really happy for you! You are now mobile...Yay!

@Cementless My recent bone density screening was reported as within normal limits at the femur but I have had four fractures in the past four years (the fibula on each side, the patella, and now the tibia) and my PCP has decided that I need to take a biophosphonate (? spelling) despite the report so I have just started alendronate (? spelling). I think these screenings lull us into a false sense of security.

Well, the PT portion of the home health people came today for assessment. They seem to grasp the limits of what they can do. They recommended gentle work on back, core, shoulders, and quads - no weight bearing, of course, just trying to improve and maintain tone and function while I am confined to the wheelchair. OT is to come for their assessment of my ADL training and equipment needs next week. I was told the combined frequency of both modalities could add up to four days a week. I told them I didn't want anything more than three days a week and this evening I communicated this to my primary care doctor, who has to approve the final treatment plan. So hopefully I won't have a fight on my hands over how many days a week they come. On the plus side, I am gradually mastering transfer from wheel chair and/or electric chair to bed. It has been tricky because my bed is higher than standard. But overall I am still reducing the number of times I need to come up on my broken kneecap leg and balance when transferring from one place to another. Every little bit helps!

I’m so sorry for all you’ve been through. I’m struggling with a bit of depression myself. I’m very glad you have a wonderful, supportive hubby to help you out. Wish I didn’t have to go thru this alone. =| Wouldn’t it be nice if we each had a handful of Bone Smarties within driving distance? =‘)
Sending a {hug} and hope your recovery is uneventful here on out!
Elaine

Home Health PT came today. Very simple exercises with me in the wheelchair, mild working of quadriceps, calf muscles, glutes, a little triceps (tiny push ups from the wheelchair), and core maneuvers (mid line to side turns).
OT has not contacted me yet so no news there.
@eelainea65 I posted on your recovery thread and will be following you.

@sistersinhim Could you ask that my signature history be edited to add Stress fracture left tibia July 18, 2019? And I guess we should take off the July 22 TKR since it hasn't happened and I don't know when it will. Thanks.

PT came at 1 PM today and OT came for first visit around 2:30 PM. Still working on quads, core, and all from wheelchair. OT took the tour of my home and observed that I seem to have most of the assistive equipment one might need (reachers, dressing sticks, walker, etc.); I told her that we acquired most of it last Fall when my kneecap broke. She had some suggestions about transferring from wheelchair to toilet but any way you slice it, it requires a pivot on my right leg, which I'm trying to protect from any trauma, so I'll probably continue with my own versions of transfer. She also did some things involving coming up from the wheelchair to a standing position and I actually rose and stood at the kitchen sink to wash my hands there, something I have not done since probably July 15. However, I realized after she left that I really have to be careful not to overload my shoulders while doing some of those maneuvers. I had some soreness in the left shoulder that resolved with rest and an ice pack. I think I'll not do any shoulder exercises tomorrow and let them rest. I also felt pretty tired after the last session and ended up sleeping about an hour before dinner. I do not want therapists coming to my home four days a week so I hope to continue on just a twice a week schedule, but I believe I'll need to ask for a little more time between the PT and OT visits. I had thought bunching them together would be more efficient but I didn't take into account my limited stamina. Which hopefully will improve.

I see my ankle doctor on Monday and I hope we get good news about the progress of the fractures' healing.

Mmmm, today the right leg has some aching in the knee and ankle. Talked it over with husband. I think I am going to ask to put OT on the back burner for the next several weeks. She had me rising and balancing on that right leg and i don't want to suffer a stress fracture on that side as a result. She didn't have much to add about my ADL's.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom