Revision TKR Motherbone's Recovery Thread

@Motherbone Sorry to hear yesterday was not a good day. :sad:. I think the ups and downs make recovery so much harder.

Great that you got the seat!! Makes all the difference! I wish there was one that could be carried in your handbag ( inflatable maybe?) :loll: so it could be used in public restrooms. As others have mentioned some of the handicapped toilets are so low that the bars make it no easier.

Love the road to recovery graph @sistersinhim . It's so true!

@Jockette it doesn't have arms, it is designed to sit on top of the toilet bowl but has a lip to secure it. I plan on just putting it in a tote bag that I can keep zipped closed.

@sistersinhim You know what that graph reminds me of? That old schoolyard Crack the Whip game where the person at the end (me, you, us) gets wildly jerked around!

Still waiting for the parts I need to use my wheelchair. We had pizza for dinner and I ate too much. Gotta watch that. I had a dream two nights ago that I'd lost 40 pounds. Oh my. How disappointing to wake up.:blackcloud:

@Celle, @Motherbone, I wanted you to know that I am now able to sit comfortably in the front seat without risking my life leaning back all the way. This was at the 6 weeks mark.
My original LTKR, I was still riding unsafe at 2 months going to the airport to pick our son up for Christmas (1 1/2 hr each way). What a difference this revision has made!!!

Way to go @Cementless! My hairdresser agreed to cut my hair in my wheelchair this week so hubs will load me into the car for the short trip. It will be my second venture out of the house since October 19. I look pretty scruffy. This weekend I did break out my Braun lady electric shaver and spruced up all the relevant body surfaces. I hadn't shaved in over a month so the improvement was very dramatic. I could use a pedicure but since I can't bend the knee to get into a shop chair I don't know how I can manage that for a few months. I need to remember to put earrings on to keep my piercings intact. There's been no need for jewelry, really. Amazing how everyday grooming fell away in importance while I was just trying to drag myself from one day to the next.

I need to remember to put earrings on to keep my piercings intact.
I was probably a couple of weeks post op before I remembered I hadn’t worn earrings since before surgery. Like you, I was afraid the hole would start to close up. With the shoulder tendinitis I acquired a week post op, I couldn’t put earrings in and out every day, even if I wanted to, and I didn’t have any I could just leave in all the time. So, way too early in my recovery, I went to the mall to shop for earrings. :heehee:

@Jockette what helped your shoulder tendinitis? My shoulders and elbows hurt like the dickens. I am using over the counter pain rubs and patches but still have a lot of pain.

Time is all that helped. The pain was a 10 and the Dilaudid I was taking at the time did not help. I was only in my second week post op so I wasn’t doing much but resting anyway.

I could use a pedicure but since I can't bend the knee to get into a shop chair I don't know how I can manage that for a few months.
I think even worse than the bending the knee would be having to keep your knee in that one position while having the pedicure.

@Cementless. I tried to upload a pic. I keep getting error messages. So just Google “Drive raised toilet seat”and a bunch of photos attached to the stores you can buy it at will come up. Walmart and bed bath beyond has them and you can also find at Amazon.

Pretty sure I didn’t wear jewelry, a bra or makeup for over a month (except for dr appt) after my infection. Some think it helps to be in your regular routine, but I just couldn’t be bothered.

@KarriB I hear you! I may have forgotten how to apply makeup by now. I'm sitting here with ice packs wrapped around my elbows, where the tendon inflammation has spread. Having to support so much of my weight with my arms on the walker has really taken its toll.

I found that I was gripping the walker very tightly with my hands, in the first week. It hurt so bad to take those short walks. I had to keep reminding myself that I didn’t need to hold it so tight and to relax my hands and my shoulders. I realized if I didn’t relax I was going to create another issue, which happened anyway.

I’m sorry you have so much additional pain. :console2:

I used my bike riding gloves while on the walker. Before that, my hands got so sore that I was miserable. The gloves helped a lot!

My left hand really was sore, but I did a lot of sitting during my infection because the immbolizer made walking difficult.

Well, I was out of the house yesterday for the first time since Halloween. I'm doing better with sitting in the car. By propping a firm pillow under my right foot, I can sit up a little more and am not almost lying flat during the drive. I got my hair cut, sat in the car while hubs ran in to the grocery for last minute items, and we got gas for the car after that. Today we watched the Macy's parade and the dog show on television with no deadlines to meet. I do miss being able to walk into the kitchen and start throwing together a meal, but I won't miss the schedule juggling and clean up. We ordered our turkey and sides from Whole Foods so we are all set.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom