BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

ankle Mosaicplasty of talus<

Discussion in 'Other Joints Forum' started by Ocdtalus, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Ocdtalus

Ocdtalus new member

Singapore Singapore
    Not sure if this forum is even the right one but I just have a few burning questions to ask.

Some background about myself. I am 21y/o and just went under a mosaicplasty surgery for a talus osteochondritis dessicans (OCD) where the surgeons open up my knee and took out bones and cartilage for implant into the ankle. I am now in a leg cast below the knee so the knee is free moving and the doctor said there's no restrictions on moving the knee.

The problem I have now is, 1 week after surgery. I am still unable to do a leg raise or raise my leg when extended no matter how hard I try.

This is getting me worried and I would like to enquire if anyone has a similar experience.

2. alexthecat

alexthecat MODERATOR Moderator

Welcome to Bonesmart! I can't think if anyone who has had a similar experience. Let me tag @Josephine to see if she has any insight. She's our medical expert, so she would be the one to advise you.

3. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Can we know the date of your surgery?

That's usual. But have they given you exercises to do?
    Well of course you can't do a leg raise with a cast on!

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

4. Ocdtalus

Ocdtalus new member

Singapore Singapore
    Thanks for the reply! My surgery date was 30th Oct 17.

They have given me some exercises like knee bending, trying to press my knee down onto a towel while pulling the towel out and to use a towel to raise my leg by pulling the towel with my hands to assist in strength.

Why is it that I can't do a leg raise with a cast on???

Yes I'm willing to answer some questions to get some better advice!

Current update. Am able to raise my leg a bit from the sitting position with pain. Am also able to do a leg raise (sort of lift it off the bed) if i put a support under my knee.

By the way, I also had a bostrom procedure for the lateral ligaments on the same right ankle to tighten the ligament.

5. Josephine

The Broström operation is a repair of ligaments on the outer ("lateral") side of the ankle. It is designed to address ankle instability. More importantly, it is primarily used to repair the ATFL (anterior talofibular ligament) in the ankle.
    Because it's too heavy and will stress the muscles above the knee!
    Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

3. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

5. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
    This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
    (which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
    - how many sessions you do each day
    - enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
    etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
    - how many times a week
    - enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
    etc., etc.

6. Ocdtalus

Ocdtalus new member

Singapore Singapore
    1. Pain level is at about 1 or 2

2. They prescribed me Tramadol and Panadol. I usually take about 2 x 500 mg panadol a day at night or none at all.

3. I'm elevating my leg no matter when I'm sitting on a chair or lying on the bed which is like 95% of the time.

4. Activity level e.g. moving around time is little and comprise mostly of getting to the toilet which isnt too far away.

5. Exercises done at home
    - 2 to 3 times a dat.
    - Knee bends for ROM 10 reps each time
    Extended Leg lifting 10 reps each time.
    Pressing down knee using strength to contract quad muscles. 10 reps each time.

Update: Saw my surgeon yesterday and he removed my cast and put me in a air cast boot/moon boot. He didn't arrange me for physio and told me that once my stitches are removed next monday, I can start flexing my ankle left right up down.

I have got a question and that is he told me I can remove the boot when I'm sleeping. So usually when I'm on the bed and not moving around, should I keep the boot on.

7. Ocdtalus

Ocdtalus new member

Singapore Singapore
    @Josephine

Any comments on the fact that he said I could try flexing my ankle so soon after (2 weeks) after surgery?

8. Josephine

Oh, not too bad then?
    I see - very good!
    Okay
    Good

Exercises done at home - 2 to 3 times a day- okay
    Knee bends x10 reps - okay but I suggest you read this Heel slides and how to do them properly.
    Extended leg lifting x10 reps - these are the leg lifts you said you couldn't do? So you can do them now, is that right?
    Pressing down knee using strength to contract quad muscles x10 reps - okay

Sounds good to me! Go to it!
    Of course not! That's what moon boots are for, to be taken of whenever it suits!

9. Ocdtalus

Ocdtalus new member

Singapore Singapore
    @Josephine

Yup! I can do a bit of those now after the cast is removed! Feels like I have a bit of quads.

Just that I feel a bit lost for the next month before my next appointment as he only told me to flex my ankle and continue with my current exercise. But well healing takes time I guess.

10. Josephine

It do indeed! And to be perfectly honest, you can't beat oodles of rest to achieve it.

11. Ocdtalus

Ocdtalus new member

Singapore Singapore
    @Josephine
    Im on NWB status but just now when both of my foot were on the ground. I stood up on both legs on instinct and realised afterwards. Didnt feel pain at that moment and was in the moon boot.

Hope that didnt destroy my bone autograft...