TKR Moriah’s adventure in tkr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moriah

Country
United States United States
So I am 16 days out from surgery. Had my non-eventful pre-op today, worst part, Tetanus shot, my shingles shot site still hurts from over a month ago, so here we go again. Regarding covid: ortho: your pcp does it, pcp: no your ortho does it. hmmm.

So yesterday, my “good knee” gave out. No more walking through a store to get a couple things as my TKR knee gets worse. I was in a wheelchair to get the pre-op and felt like an 80 yo. I’m elevating my good knee and will stay off it for the weekend. It was scary though, I had a great deal of trouble sleeping because of the pain. Makes me wonder about how the home experience is going to be with the TKR knee.
My caregivers are going to have to start earlier than expected and we aren’t quite ready yet. Do any of you have info or suggestions for caregivers ?

My caregivers are going to have to start earlier than expected and we aren’t quite ready yet. Do any of you have info or suggestions for caregivers ?
When did you expect them to start and why do they have to come earlier? Does that mean they will also have to leave earlier? How long are you planning for them to stay?
Are they family who already know you?

You won't need a lot of help after your surgery. Before you're discharged from hospital,you will be able to got out of bed and back in again, be independent for toileting , and able to walk around your house, using an assistive device, such as a walker or crutches.

You will need help for preparing meals, getting groceries, doing housework, and driving you to and from doctor and PT appointments. It is helpful if they are close by when you have a shower, in case you need help, and when you navigate stairs.

Your caregivers should not have to be responsible for overseeing your medications or helping with your exercises.

Here are some articles for your caregivers to read, so that they know what's expected and so you are all on the same page about treatment and progress:

The Activity Progression Chart

The Chart of TKR Recovery

The BoneSmart Philosophy of Sensible Post-Op Therapy

Lose the Work Ethic

TKR surgery - WARNING: real life photos

Here is some pre-op reading for you as well - I gave you this on your other thread, but her it is again, just in case you missed it.

Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

Thanks for the info, helpful as my husband is a little nervous regarding how much pain I’ll be in, helping to the restroom etc. I’m a mom so “caregivers” are young adult live in children and my husband. If anyone might imagine, when mom isn’t moving around things gradually start to, well, get less organized you might say. I’m getting to the restroom and kitchen but probably down for the count at this point until after surgery. I have to make sure my “good” leg is in shape for this. That leg going out was a real wake up call.
A blessing that my family is around home due to COVID.

Nothing will be the same in the house with Mom down for the count but who cares - they will all learn some good lessons and appreciate you even more. Once recovered you can whip them all into shape to help get it organized again. Concentrate on you and your recovery once you have surgery. You actually have a lot of extra hands at home to help which can be good. Have them read some of the articles for recovery and they will know a bit of what you will be feeling and going through. Keep resting your "good" leg and have a good evening.

@Moriah my daughter came home do help me after surgery but other than being present and helping her dad prepare meals, I was mostly able to do most things on my own with the aid of arm crutches, getting to & from the bathroom /lounge ) you are usually only discharged from hospital once you prove you can walk, the next couple of weeks rest and elevation and ice is paramount and your family will need to respect this, you I'm sure like the rest of us have nurtured them, so now it's good that they look after you too. As Leejaa mentioned "who cares " if the house is a bit upside down soon you will be able to do it all again. Regarding keeping track of your medication, I wrote everything down on my notes on my phone that way if I was in doubt I just checked my notes, it's really important to take medication on time during the 1st few weeks, if they cause tummy upset I took a tummy liner called omprazole, this helped enormously.
Good luck with your forthcoming surgery xxx

Last edited:
Moriah; Can you tell me exactly when your surgery is? I thought the way it sounded on my recovery thread that you were already in recovery. I apologize for the misunderstanding. I left my pain management schedule on my recovery thread for you if you want to check it out. Prayers for you during your surgery; and I hope to talk to you soon on the other side; Doodlebug

@doodlebug60 and @Moriah -
We prefer that members do not give advice about medications to one another.

Medications should be prescribed for each individual by their own surgeons. You cannot follow another person's schedule because what suits one person may not be appropriate for another person.

@Celle so sorry about inappropriate question of doodlebug. I will be going home with the nerve block still working so I am trying to familiarize myself and be informed enough to ask questions before discharge instead of having to call them back in the middle of the night in pain and not knowing what to do.
Maybe a fall back from my only meeting with the surgeon who looked at the X-ray and said, it’s good you are having this replaced. Told me about the robot and then asked “do you have any questions” and I said “I don’t know what questions I should be asking”.

So I got a haircut and went out to dinner with my husband at an outdoor patio. I’m now officially staying in, I work from home, surgery is a week and a half away. I’ve learned that when I’m anxious I go and ride my stationary bike, it’s been getting quite the workout ! I want to take this time to thank everyone that has posted their journey and responded to questions. It’s helpful to read people’s recovery threads and see the day by day progress. the wealth of information from this site is amazing ! I’m a person that needs to process information (and process fear) in order for me to feel like I’m ready and prepared. And to have the proper equipment to make a positive recovery. I know I’ll be anxious and I’ve had a few tears but I feel prepared and ready to go through this. So again, thank you everyone for all this information and support. Now, I’m off to watch my husband build my shower seat...

@mariah, I'm scheduled 5 days before you. I'm at the no medication for pain stage and it's ok, but I'm using ice for pain. I could just sit and do nothing but it's kind of like pregnancy nesting for me. There are things I want done before surgery because I'll be unable to do them for awhile. My husband is not a cleaner.....at all. It bothers me a lot. With my first tkr my kids came and cleaned but they are 50 miles from my house, kinda feel bad asking them.
Good luck to you, I'll be watching for you, hoping our progress is positive.

@Starsfan22 I laughed at your post, no kidding, we have something in common, my husband is not a cleaner either. I am trying to get work in a place I can take 2 weeks off (I do telehealth) and next weekend we are seriously preparing. I think your surgery is the day before mine ! Looks like this is your second so any suggestions or funny stories are welcome. are you having OP procedure, staying overnight etc. do you get any sleep overnight ?

@Moriah my surgery is this Thurs. the 20th, they changed the date on me... the only thing funny about my first surgery was when I laughed at myself. I laughed at my clumsiness and my crying one moment and laughing the next, for no apparent reason. I also had anger, slight depression days which were all new to me. It's a marathon and honestly I can't believe I'm going to do it to myself again. I feel if I'm going to be in pain I may as well be healing.... I plan on checking in after the surgery and will be watching your progress and cheering you on!

Hi @Moriah ! I see you’re taking two weeks off. It’s great that you can work from home but please keep in mind that the chances are high that you’ll be on pain medication. Those can make you “foggy”.

Hey @Starsfan22 ! How did it go ? Sorry I have been trying to get work in a place where I don’t go in to the building until end of Oct. I missed your post that your surgery was moved up. I’m sending positive healing thoughts and some help from up above. Hope it’s as painfree as it can be ! See ya on the other side !

Thumbs up for outpatient!! I'm doing as well as can be expected. I've slept a lot, guess that's to expected from the meds..

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie