TKR More scared of needles than op

Nickel-free

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi there, I’m new to all this and just want to know what your spinal anaesthetic was like. I had a GA before and even with numbing cream found a local anaesthetic really painful before cannulation. I’m now really worried about the one for the spinal as well.

Hi, :welome: to BoneSmart.

I never felt the needle go in; one moment in pre-op, the next in the recovery room with a total blank in between. Don't worry!

@Nickel-free this was me 10 years ago! I was more afraid of the spinal than the LTHR. But honestly - it was a non-event.

They will either have you lying on your side or ask you to sit on the table and hug a pillow. Then the spray your back with an antiseptic that is very cold. All I felt was the cold. And I was out for the count. My RTHR was the same.

I found the spinal way better than GA. No groggy feeling and no nausea. You wake up quickly and can enjoy a light meal with an hour.

Hello @Nickel-free - and :welome:

Do you have a date for your surgery yet? If so, please will you tell us the full date and which knee it is, so we can make a signature for you? Knowing the exact date will help us to advise you appropriately in the future.
Thank you.:flwrysmile:

Here is some reading to help you prepare for your surgery:
If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

My surgery is on January 5th on my right knee.

Thank you for your surgery date. I've done your signature and added your name to the January Jackpots surgery team thread.

Nickel-Free Hi Our thoughts will be with you. I ll look for your threads. :happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
corvettejanie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom