TKR More pain on inside of knee than other areas after TKR

robg

Country
United States United States
Hello,
I had TKR on left knee a week ago and noticed yesterday (day 5) that I had significantly more pain on the inside of my knee than other parts. Is this typical, are areas just "healing" at different levels?

@robg Welcome to BoneSmart! Please confirm the date of your TKR so that we can update your signature for you.

Yes, all this discomfort is totally normal. You have just had some very major surgery. Every area around the joint is going to complain.

Are you icing and elevating (see article below)? Taking your pain medication as prescribed, around the clock?

Please note that you are only days into a process that can take up to one year or more. Take the slow and steady approach and you will be delighted with the result.

Here are your recovery guidelines:

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a very general week-by-week guide. Activity progression for TKRs

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

I suggest you read a lot of threads on here, especially those that have had surgery around the time you did. This will give you a good idea of what is normal and what to expect. So many of us weren't told what would happen after this surgery. Many expected to be back to normal in 6 weeks or so. That doesn't happen except for a very small amount of people. The vast majority of healing takes at least a year or more. Patience is the main thing you need to exercise!

Hi robg,

If by "inside of the knee" you mean the side that is closest to your other leg, I have this too. My surgeon's nurse told me that this is the area where most of my OA was and where they did the most work, so it's the most angry right now. For me, it's only terribly painful (9 or 10/10)when I am doing certain motions: lowering my leg from recliner or bed to floor; moving my leg to get into bed (which someone still has to help me with); and when the PT tried to flex it too much (like putting a bolster behind it).

I'm at a 1-3/10 when sitting and doing easy exercises. I think only time is going to relieve this, as medication doesn't.

Hoping yours progresses quickly.

Hi robg,

If by "inside of the knee" you mean the side that is closest to your other leg, I have this too. My surgeon's nurse told me that this is the area where most of my OA was and where they did the most work, so it's the most angry right now. For me, it's only terribly painful (9 or 10/10)when I am doing certain motions: lowering my leg from recliner or bed to floor; moving my leg to get into bed (which someone still has to help me with); and when the PT tried to flex it too much (like putting a bolster behind it).

I'm at a 1-3/10 when sitting and doing easy exercises. I think only time is going to relieve this, as medication doesn't.

Hoping yours progresses quickly.
Yes and thankyou for the info!

@robg

Great advise given here. When I think about why I am hurting so much at points I remember that I've just had major reconstructive surgery. DUH - I say to self!

We must not be too hard on ourselves.

This time for example around I have more pain at the back of knee. Every surgery is different. Wishing you the best as you continue :)

Last edited:
Again, thankyou, I needed to hear that from someone, anxiety can get the best of me!
Anytime you're feeling anxious this is the place to come! There are people on the forum 24 hours a day and during my recoveries BoneSmart saved me from freaking out a number of times. Sistersinhim's advise to follow threads of those that had surgery near the time you did will help you a lot. You can find people that had december surgery here:

I have very little pain any more, but when I do it's on the inside of the knee. I'm assuming it will get better with time.

4 weeks out and trying to ween off the Oxycodone. How long does one typically take Oxycodone after knee replacement surgery?

Also, is it better to take same dosage but stretch out the time in between each dose or reduce dosage and take in same time increments?

Everyone is different on how long they need narcotics. I started weaning off the oxy at around 3ish weeks post-op and did it very slowly per my doc's instructions. First down to one tablet every 4 hours then stretching it out to every 6 hours, then every 8 then 12 hours. My doc instructed me to add in Tylenol and Advil, alternating every 3 hours. 500 mg of Tylenol every 6 hours for a total of 4,000 per day and two 200 milligram (mg) Advil/Ibuprofen tablets every 6 hours, not exceeding 800 mg at once or 3,200 mg per day.

Always check with your doctor first! Also, be careful with the Ibuprofen. Always make sure to eat something when taking it.

Thankyou for the info!
Will do.

Also, is it better to take same dosage but stretch out the time in between each dose or reduce dosage and take in same time increments?
That's what I did last time (stretched out the time). And ended up with some Oxy's left over, trailing off just using Tylenol. Not sure how it's going to go this time.

Glad to have meds all set should I need.

4 weeks out and trying to ween off the Oxycodone. How long does one typically take Oxycodone after knee replacement surgery?
I took myself off Oxycodone after a week because i Ihated how it made me feel ... jittery, shaky, restless and anxious. I used a combo of Tylenol, Visteral and Meloxican and did ok. I think everyone is different.

@robg , I did the opposite. I kept the same times and just started skipping doses, and it worked fine for me. Do whatever works for you and you will be fine. In my case it was easier to deal with the same times each day rather than shifting times.

Hi there :wave:
One month down...Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope all is well and your healing journey is coming along nicely. Many blessings to you in 2023!
@robg

I stretched out the time between doses gradually.

Hi there :wave:
One month down...Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope all is well and your healing journey is coming along nicely. Many blessings to you in 2023!
@robg
Hello!
All is going very well! Got to 110 degrees today. PT very helpful from the start. They have been doing a great job getting me stronger. Went to cane after 2 weeks and without anything after 3 weeks all because of my PT's great guidance 3x a week. Days I don't go im up and walking, stretching, bending etc. I would say by pushing thru every day I have gotten this far and will continue going forward.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JoeyRamone
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom