TKR MoragsMum's Recovery

A question about pain medication – I’m pretty much off painkillers by now (9 weeks post-op) and only take something when the pain is worse than usual. I don’t have any instructions on the subject from the OS or any other medical figure. From what I read here, at this stage it’s reasonable – or actually strongly recommended? – to take a low dose of Tylenol twice a day to keep the pain at bay. Have I got this right? I know it’s all individual, no one-size-fits-all, but still..MTIA

@MoragsMum Many of our members take Tylenol after weaning off their post op pain medication. You can take 1000mg up to 4 times per day.

If you use this schedule, do check to make sure you're not taking any other drugs that contain Tylenol (Acetaminophen). You need to stay within the safe limit of no more than 4,000 mg of Tylenol in a 24 hr period. If any other medications you're taking contain Tylenol, add their amount into your daily calculations and reduce another of your doses, so you stay within those limits.

I think I know the answer to this question, but still ... is there any good alternative to heel slides? They really are the heel slides from hell, as someone here called them.

Reactions: WFD
You could put a piece of cloth or something you can roll on the floor under your foot, sit down in a chair and kind of just slide you foot back and forth under the chair and extend it. Or lie on your stomach (if you are comfortable) and bend your leg to try to bring your heel close to your butt. I have been doing those in addition to heel slides.

As for your pain relief questions... I think that's a very individual thing. I'm about 5 weeks post op and I take one Tylenol in the morning and one before bed. But I think I'd be fine without it.

It might be a weather but also the stiff feeling is normal. It might linger for weeks but it will go away eventually.

If you have access to a gym you can also try working on a stationary bike. For me it helps "loosen" up my knee as well.

Tomorrow I'm meeting the PT, which will help, fingers crossed. It's that feeling of having a wooden leg, like a movie pirate. And I'll ask her about a bike, there is one in our building that I can use. Just need her thumbs up.

@MoragsMum
When you see PT tomorrow they can help you find a way to address your stiffness that will work for you, including the use of an Exercycle.
Also ask them to help with the swelling in your knee, it takes very little swelling in your joint capsule to make your knee feel stiff.
Am wondering if the cold weather here contributes to knee stiffening and a knee that refuses to bend...and balks at heel slides
The weather can effect your knee, and cause the stiffness you are experiencing. A piece of fleece that covered the front of my knee pinned in my pants helped a lot after my knee surgeries.

@Pumpkin - oh that piece of fleece sounds like a great idea! I gave my knee a nice (if not really professional) massage just now, and hope the PT will do the same tomorrow, it was very effective for swelling at our previous session.

WoW. I’m glad I stumbled across this thread! The energy drain even applies to knee revision surgery five years post TKR. I’m exhausted, doing heel slides and gentle pedaling, not going to PT torture sessions, and in less pain and acquiring more flexibility without trying much. The illustrations posted that explain energy drain are genius!

I had to wear compression stockings on BOTH legs after TKR on the left knee. And it was summer in the desert Southwest US.
Had a revision this winter but no compression stocking. My OS said further research indicated that they don’t help to prevent blood clots. What he didn’t address is that they can add some security post-surgery.

I think I know the answer to this question, but still ... is there any good alternative to heel slides? They really are the heel slides from hell, as someone here called them.
I am now really quite mobile and can cycle with no tension on static bike but heel slides are still my nemesis. I found out at about week 3 that I struggled to do these so I stopped doing them. It is still uncomfortable now so I just don't do them well not as an excercise anyway. I do of course move my leg if necessary sliding the heel but generally I help it by lifting it with my hand at the knee. I am certain that it will just come as everything else has without putting myself under any pressure.

After reading that I need to buy new shoes after TKR, I set out on Monday for the mall to buy a pair of trainers. All in all it was a walk of 3300 steps (not sure how much that is in miles). The next day my knee was angry, swollen etc. Then the day after, I got this feeling that my knee was buckling, which I recall members have reported here. Seems like half psychological/half physiological. At my latest physio this morning, she said I’m avoiding straightening my leg, which I’m now making an effort to do. She thinks that because my PT was initially aggressive, it affected my progress, and in fact I do feel as if I’m starting from scratch, right after surgery, with her. Couldn’t help wondering (a) if I’d found BoneSmart sooner and (b) found her sooner, would I be in a better place? Anyway she suggested visiting the OS, bring new x-rays, and see what he says. The thought of going back to the ‘scene of the crime’ (the hospital) lol is really a turn-off but it’s gotta be done. Hoping for the best, and much cheered by members’ kindness and encouraging stories!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie