THR Moosehead's Recovery

Moosehead

Country
United States United States
Cut me Mick. I’m ready. THR left side on 1/31/22. Will post up when able. Expected outpatient same day.

Much appreciate all the experience and support from this board, you guys are tremendous.

Cheers.

Hey there,
We’ll update your signature and leave our Recovery Guidelines for you to read with a clear head before surgery, if you have the time. Wishing you comfort as you wait, an uneventful surgery and easy recovery. Until next time….:wave:

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Here is a week-by-week guide

6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Good luck on Monday! It is good that you found this forum before your recovery starts. Best advice ever!

Blessings for a smooth, uneventful surgery and the start of a good, pain controlled recovery. We’ll look forward to seeing you on the healing side when you’re ready.

Thanks all above. You guys are the best.

Woke up this AM with a toothache, so unfortunately had to postpone THR until dental check. Disappointed but no real option.

Sorry for letdown, but wanted to post this for others as most hippy vets know that dental work 8 weeks before or after a joint replacement/heart surgery is a no-no due to potential infection.

Will update when I’m back on the launch pad.

@Moosehead What a bummer! So sorry your surgery is postponed. But you are right, any major work with a tooth that may be infected should be done well in advance of joint replacement.

Do you have a dental appointment already? Hope you can get in soon!

Bummer but better to delay a couple weeks than have a complication that sets you back months. Best of luck.

Oh, dear. That’s too bad. I hope it’s nothing major and you can get your THR back on the schedule soon. Keep us posted.

That is a let down. I’m so sorry. I hope you’re able to reschedule soon.
Stay in touch and let us know once it’s rescheduled. We’ll be here for support.
@Moosehead

That is a bummer! you know what tho it's not worth the risk. All the best while you wait for the new date.

Sorry for late update but did want to close this thread before starting recovery.

Short version is got proper dental work done winter, delayed THR spring and summer to be able to wakesurf with the family this season.

Went in this morning for left anterior THR @ 1000AM, hospital PT had me walking on crutches and up and down a flight of stars at 200PM, home by 430pm. No oxy yet, just ice, Tylenol, Aspirin.

Much appreciate this board, it’s support/knowledge/care, and other stories which motivate and touch us all.

Best wishes to the rest of you in treatment and recovery. Cheers.

Don't be a hero, take it from someone who made the mistake. I felt great post-op did all of the tricks so everyone thought I was the greatest THR patient ever. Then the sweats and pain started and it took quite a bit to knock it back and teach me a lesson.

Gonna get a scolding, but here it is, 3 days post-op.

987684F3-C361-4F00-8964-E2C8081FA892.jpeg

Wow I could barely get 50ft down the sidewalk at 3 days. You go!

Congrats on the new hip! I'm not going to scold, just hope you're icing.
Would you like your thread title changed as it doesn't really apply? if so, leave the new title below and we'll get it changed for you.
Best Wishes and lots of comfort as you begin the healing journey once again.
@Moosehead

No scold here. I was walking immediately after my surgery. At first with a walker ... and in a week or less than a week with a cane. Eighteen minutes sounds sane.

The trick is to be aware that the pain of overdoing it often doesn't occur during the walk--it often appears a day or two later. If and when you get that (it's almost impossible not to overdo it at some point) then immediately take some chill days. And be aware that the overdoing it pain can be vicious, nasty. So take your time.

And yes, tons of icing.

Thank you @Layla. Much appreciated. Please change title as you would like for the forum.

Icing every 1-2 hours with elevated leg a majority of the day, only Tylenol and Aspirin thus far. Pain and discomfort is thus far less than pre-surgery. A bad back had me worried with no stretching or inactivity but just moving about carefully has helped tremendously using safety and pain as a guide. Candidly, only big challenges thus far are lack of sleep and little to no strength in operated hip flexor. Incision is clean and dry with just a bit of tautness and some minor heat.

Above walk is no crutches and a lesser limp than pre THR. Left knee no longer juts outboard, and no longer duck toed. A bit of a miracle.

How about Moosehead's Recovery? Unless you prefer to choose something more catchy... its up to you.
@Moosehead

It's my understanding that you don't want to walk with a limp. That's a sign that you still need the aid. The leg will be gaining strength with a cane or crutch.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88