Rotator Cuff Repair Momweb starts recovery

@SaraK you know it's funny. During the day I find that heat is wonderful, but at night when I'm hurting, ice is the only thing that seems to settle things down. I forgot to ask the surgeon if it was ok to start taking NSAIDs again. I have arthritis in my spine and sometimes that's what keeps me awake at night. I was getting injections but they'll have to wait until this virus is over. Aleve would help a lot. I'll have to give him a call. In the meantime, ice it is at 2AM.

PT went well today. Added in the pulley which I had absolutely no problem with. We'll see if anything else gets added on Friday.

I asked today when the PT thought I'd be able to lift my hand all of the way over my head, actively or passively. He said probably another week or two. that would be a good step forward towards normalcy!

At first I couldn't sleep without the ice. Now I can't sleep with it! I use my rice sock after PT exercises, if I'm sore (not too often) and sometimes at bedtime. It lasts about 20-30 minutes and then I'm ok for the night (not to say I sleep through - the bladder won't let me, especially when I'm not sleeping as deeply on the recliner).

I hope they let you start back on NSAIDs for your back. Have you tried a lidocaine patch in the interim?

Well, today I made one of many mistakes. @SaraK you said you had a hard time being moderate. Well, I was tired of not being able to go to the Y and participate in my fitness classes, especially the pool. So, I looked online for some good workout videos I could do at home. Being of the over 65 age, I looked up Silver Sneakers and found a great dance video. Steps were simple but you got a great workout. So, what's the problem, you say? A lot of aerobic activities require a lot of arm work. I felt pretty good and used my arms quite a bit. I was sweaty when done and felt great!!

Well, by mid-afternoon, my upper arm and shoulder were yelling loudly at me. Too much, too soon. I used some heat earlier, but I think I'll be icing after we take the dogs out for their nightly walk. Bad enough we have to stay home, it's even harder not moving like we want. OK, enough crying and whining. Tomorrow's another day. I'll work out again, but I don't think I'll be raising my arms as high or as often as I did today.

So sorry to hear about the setback @momweb . Try to look at it as showing that you CAN do it (just that maybe you need to do less in your first outing and build up to more). I'm not sure about your PT routine but it takes about 45 minutes to do mine and I do it twice a day. With that and work, it doesn't leave much time for other things!

The weather here has finally gotten better, so getting outside is now possible. Not sure why, but there's a muscle connected to my shoulder that is shouting loudly at me today. I applied heat to it earlier and now I'm trying some ice. It's hard to turn my head to the left. When I do not only does my neck hurt, but so does my shoulder. Has anyone had anything like this? @SaraK ? Sure hope it is better tomorrow. I have PT so at least she'll be able to work on it there.

Did you wake up like that? Did you maybe just sleep on it wrong? Is the pain facing towards or away from op shoulder? My PT has me doing stretches tilting head away from op shoulder and down and away to stretch things out. I usually do that before exercises.

About to post over on my thread. New exercises yesterday sent me to heat and Tylenol last night. Better today but more soreness after exercises tonight. Not bad and most likely DOMS and just need to work thru it. I see PT in am and will discuss with him.

@SaraK, I am much better today. I think I may have pulled a muscle while working in the garden. I was careful pulling weeds using a shovel to loosen things, but I did reach under a tree to get some weeds. That may have been where it happened, not sure. But, boy did my neck and shoulder hurt yesterday afternoon into the night. I stretched a lot after and I think that helped. Today I'm much looser. My shoulder is still a little sore, but not too bad.

I've started a few new exercises at PT as well as you. The hardest is an isometric one where my arm is kept at 90degrees. I then take the band and take 2 steps away and back sideways, arm towards the outside. Then I turn and take 2 steps away and back with the arm on the side. That's the one that really hurts. You can tell how weak the arm still is. The others are getting pretty easy, but put them all together and its a good workout.

I have PT this afternoon, so we'll see how things go.

It's interesting to see the different exercises and progression from our PTs. Mine just now introducing internal rotation and behind the back movements. Does your PT have you continue if something is hurting at the time (more than just the "over-stretch" feeling)? Mine will usually say we should wait and come back to that movement later - and use exercises that will build to that motion.

I'm glad your shoulder is better today. It's hard sometimes to figure out exactly what you did - sometimes the work you do for PT can almost seem like it temporarily weakens the shoulder and makes a normal motion more likely to hurt or loosens the shoulder and makes it more likely that you move the shoulder too far.

Good luck with PT!

SaraK is right.....be cautious with any exercise that gives you more than just mild discomfort. You can do more damage than good by trying to push before you're ready.

Hi all, especially @SaraK. I saw my surgeon this morning. I'll meet the 3-month mark this Thursday. When I think of where I was, I'm doing great! When I think of where I want to be, I'm getting there. He said most folks are pain-free by 3 months but people like me might take as much as 6 months. The shoulder is very complicated.

I can lift my arm straight up and down without an issue. He asked me to touch my lower back, which I can do with a little discomfort. But he then asked me to move my arm out and away from my back. I tried, but it just wouldn't go. No problem he said, I would get there.

We talked about the continued discomfort in my elbow and down to my thumb. That is all cervical and also related to the trapezius muscle, so he has asked PT to work on those issues. I now need to work on power and continue everything else I've been doing to maintain. He was basically pleased but as he said he works towards getting things 110% better than I was. But it's hard work and takes time.

I'm still at PT but down to twice a week. I just need to fit in my arm exercises at home in addition to my spine exercises and my cardio. I've gained some weight through all this which doesn't help my mood. Hopefully I'll feel better after I get my hair cut and colored. A couple more weeks for that. In the meantime, long walks with the dog!! Hope all is well with everyone!
Sue

@momweb - great news! Yes, we're both at the "not quite" stage of range of motion, aren't we. It's also the point where it seems like there isn't much progress (until you compare over a longer period). Curiosity - was he having you move the hand backwards from your back or to the side with the palm staying facing back?

How often had you been going to PT? I was only prescribed 2x per week (which is actually all my PT is available for anyway). I do exercises at home the other days (usually taking Sunday off to rest before PT the next day). Of course, our issues are different, though, so therapy will be different.

I have my 12 week check next Wed - hard to believe it's been that long! It may take a bit longer but we're both going to come out of this as a "new and improved" version. If nothing else, I've been learning to exercise my patience muscle (I do have one, despite popular opinion). :heehee:

Happy Tuesday! Take care,

Sara

@SaraK you are so funny!! He had me put the back of my hand on my mid back which is at my waist. He then wanted me to move my entire arm toward him (he was standing behind me). Like I said it was like being in a frozen state, the arm did not move. I don't think I can put my palm behind my back. That would entail turning the arm which, for me, is still an issue.

I started PT 3 times a week and have been doing that until this week. Now, that I'm on the strengthening part (my surgeon calls it power) I'm down to twice a week which is fine with me.

I know, it seems like yesterday when we had the surgery and of course, the world quickly fell apart right after. Normal will never be normal again! But, I'm ok with that, I think.

Now you've given me a new skill to try! It's getting a little easier to get the hand to waist level across the spine. I can move it back an inch or two from there but not much. You intrigued me with thought of putting the hand on the back with palm facing the back. I can do it (definitely not comfortable) but can't get it to waist level.

One of the movements that frustrates me still is crossing the arm over to touch the other shoulder. I can get there (still a "stretch" ) and can walk the fingers to the top of the shoulder but banks reach the other side of the arm/shoulder. Of course, this is always where I get an itch! I've tried using a pen in right hand and left hand but often still can't reach the spot. I often resort to either begging my son to scratch it or imitating a bear (works for upper Center of the back, too!). Maybe I need to change my screen name to Ursa!

So glad to hear you both are moving along. Well done. I finally got the call to get my shoulder replacement on the 23rd. Then I can join you all on the recovery side. Keep up the good work. Take care,stay safe.

Happy Wednesday @momweb ! I thought I'd say hello today instead of tomorrow because I wasn't sure whether hitting the 13th weekiversary was good luck or not. Do we skip 13 and go straight to 14 (like they skip the 13th Floor of buildings)?

I'm starting to plan my mischief for the weekend now that I've had more stuff greenlighted and have a session with my trainer planned for Saturday.

How is the garden doing? Are you able to do more and more of that now? That's something I just never could get into but understand others find it relaxing. Just like playing cards was for me, I'll bet that is some good PT with stretching and pulling!

Take care and have a great evening!

Hi everyone, especially @SaraK and @tazzy13.

It'll be 13 weeks on Thursday. I'm doing really well. I had PT today. The strength training with straps is going well. I've discovered (finally) the part of my shoulder that still plaques me. I have just one incision at the top of my shoulder. On the left side, closest to my neck, is where the tendons were connected. That section of bone is still quite painful. I don't get as many spasms, but every so often --- ugh! I will feel and hear a catch when I move the shoulder a certain way. My PT said that was normal and will go away. Most of the pain is caused by lateral moves away from the body. It's just taking me a little longer to heal, I guess.

@SaraK I think I might have misspoke about the hand placement on the back of my waist. I cannot touch anything back there with my palm....what was I thinking? It's the back of my hand that touches. With the strap I can actually get it higher than the waist. Without the strap I can touch my waist and I can now move it out a little but not much. I worked really hard to achieve this. Why? I have no idea.

Anyway, today was a depressing day for me. I am now walking the dog between 1-3 miles every morning. I'm also doing some aerobic videos when I walk a mile or less. I meet the 10,000 steps or more daily and I've watched what I eat since January. I haven't lost a single pound. I go shopping for my Mother of the Bride dress in 2 weeks. Between the surgery and Covid it's been a crazy year. I was so hoping to be down a few by then. I guess it's not going to happen and I need to get over my pity party.

So, tomorrow's another day. I promise to smile and have a better day. In the meantime, talk to you all soon.

Consider it an accomplishment to not have gained the Quarantine 15 or COVID-19. I lost some weight at the beginning but feel like it was the muscle weight wasting away. I'll be happy if I can just hold now as I try to rebuild the muscle.

At some point this fall I'll be searching for the mother of the groom outfit myself. I HATE shopping for clothes!

I haven't been doing my steps and really felt it when I did a 4 mile hike around the lake Sunday. My trainer is going to kick my tail Saturday!

You're going to do great with the trainer. You may feel it that night or the next, but just the fact that you worked with the trainer is a great accomplishment.

I had gained 10 pounds during the year after my knee replacement and haven't been able to lose it. I also have hypothyroidism after having Grave's in 2017. My thyroid was irradiated by radioactive iodine after the drugs didn't work. I went from my metabolism going haywire fast to it not moving at all. I lost 14 pounds in about 3 weeks. Once my thyroid was gone I gained it all back and then some. It was not a fun time. I struggle with weight loss ever since. I have to admit, I do feel great now that I can get back into working out. With the gyms being closed it hasn't been easy.

When do your gyms reopen? Ours open Monday but I'm meeting the trainer somewhere else Saturday.

Ours open on the 20th. But, masks have to be worn. People will be limited. Most classes won't be held. Haven't heard officially from the Y (that's where we go), but those are the rules from the Governor. I can't imagine working out with a mask. Luckily we have a treadmill and elliptical here at the house and the Internet works well. We'll see when the actual requirements come out. I used to take aerobic classes at the pool. I'm guessing those will be canceled.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back