Rotator Cuff Repair Momweb starts recovery

I was going to post my exercises but I wasn't sure if was allowed. i will tell you that basically its bending the arm at the elbow to the shoulder and down, bending the wrist, forward back and side to side. the pendulum is initiated by the entire body kind of like a ragdoll. I went again today and she stretched my arm and moved it up and out. It hurt but the pain was not excruciating. I'm being bothered by muscle spasms especially at night. Are you?

Last edited:
It's fine to let others know what exercises you are doing. The muscle spasms can indicate that you might be working your shoulder muscles just a bit too much for now. Do they calm down if you take 1000mg of Tylenol or a pain pill to sleep better?

No, no muscle spasms - just getting tired of being in the same position 24/7. I can tell there's improvement when I'm out of the sling to shower and dress, but also know there's a lot of healing yet to come.

Well, I guess I'll be joining others unable to go to Physical therapy. They just called to tell me that the office will be closed for the next 2 weeks. Continue with my exercises and on Thursday add the cane to stretch the arm gently to the side. I see the surgeon next Tuesday so we'll see where we go from there. unreal times we are in.

I've heard of some PT being done thru Zoom or other remote possibilities. Doesn't provide massage or assisted stretching but helps to make sure you're doing things correctly. Wonder if that might be an option

How is PT at home going @momweb ? Is it hard to hold yourself accountable and committed? Have the muscle spasms stopped?

I won't start PT for 4 more weeks but checked in this week with my PT person. They've reduced hours but still in the office. He said they're also starting to do telehealth but recognizes that the first few weeks really need to be hands on. He did suggest I get the overdose pulley to use when I can start PT.

I'm about to try a different form of "PT" for the wrist - crocheting. We'll see how it goes - going to do baby blankets so that they're not too heavy and won't violate the 2 lb rule.

Hi @SaraK,
Even though this is a crazy world and can't do a whole lot today was a great day! I actually went in and saw my surgeon for my 4 week check. He was pleased with my progress. He gave me a few more exercises to do at home. I have another appointment to see him in 4 weeks. The best part is I no longer need to wear the sling unless I'm out in public and worry about someone bumping me. (Fat chance of that happening any day soon. LOL)

Anyway, I'm icing right now because I' ve been out of the sling all day and I'm a little sore. The doctor wants me to concentrate on gaining motion. When I see him next he wants me to be able to put my hand on the top of my head, put my arm behind my back and be able to lift my arm out to the side. Those are my goals.

My physical therapist will FaceTime with me again on Thursday. It's been a little strange doing my exercises without anyone telling me if I'm doing them right. The office is supposed to open again on the 13th. I still get muscle spasms usually around 3-4AM. I then go get some ice and try to fall back to sleep. Most nights it doesn't work and I get a little sleep and wake up and repeat! I'm hoping that without the sling things will be better. We'll see tonight. If all goes well, I'm going back to sleep with my husband. I've needed so much space with all my pillows and I'm up so much I didn't want to disturb him so I've been sleeping in my daughter's old room.

But, I'm feeling really hopeful today and typing with 2 hands is great!!Hope you are well.
Sue

Wow! The protocols are so different! It will be interesting to compare later. My guess is that, like different hip replacement approaches) we'll be at roughly the same spot at 6 months. I'm so glad you're getting rid of the sling now, though. Are you going to transition and go back to it when it's hurting for the next few days or just cold turkey?

Sleeping in a regular bed will be a while for me. I can't sleep on my back and I tend to roll from one side to another. Not happening for a while! I am sleeping fairly well in my recliner, though, so not complaining.

Best to you!

Hi there @SaraK, I wasn't able to sleep in our recliner because the control was on the right. It's also not comfortable for my back. I built my own sleeping recliner, so to speak, in bed. I had 3 pillows under my head and upper back, one pillow on my left side and a small pillow on my right. For the most part, it worked. Now, that I'm out of the sling, I'm pretty much laying flat with a pillow under my right arm to support it. I still get the muscle spasms and my neck muscles are sore, but I think things are getting better.

Tomorrow I work with my therapist via FaceTime. She'll show me some new exercises to do and make sure I do them right.

We're doing a really small Easter dinner with just my husband and son who is living with us since he's out of work. It's also his birthday. With everyone's help, it should work out. How about you?
Sue

My recliner also has the mechanism on the right. My son convinced me to get a reclining couch a few years ago, though, so I'm sleeping on the left side of that. I cannot sleep flat on the back because of apnea issues (and even when awake have trouble breathing - makes MRIs fun) so I'll be in the recliner for a while even after I get out of the sling.

We haven't done a large Easter dinner in a few years. I do plan to have my older son and his fiancee over for dinner this weekend, though. I don't have a ham and don't want to try to fix anything fancy, so I'm planning chicken and dumplings (frozen noodles). I'll have to make 2 batches since I don't subject others to my less tasty gluten free alternatives.

Happy Saturday, @momweb and Happy Easter tomorrow! How are things going now that you don't have to wear the sling? Has the initial soreness gone away? Are you still having muscle spasms? 3 more weeks before I get mine off and start PT - I'm almost looking forward to the pain because it will mean I'm moving forward!

Hi everyone,
Happy Easter! What a strange day today was. We still had an Easter dinner but just for my son, husband and me. No one else was able to come. It was surreal!

I think I overdid it with all the preparations. I used my right hand more than I should have. Even peeling potatoes slowly was an effort. @SaraK yesterday and today showed me that I need to slow it down. I don't have the muscle spasms as often but they are still there from time to time. Now it's much more of a soreness. And you are right when I was in the sling, I actually felt almost pain-free except for my wrist and elbow. Now, my upper arm is showing its head whenever I do something I shouldn't. I've cut the exercises to once a day and I'm trying to not use my right hand as much. It's hard.

Tomorrow I return to physical therapy. I'm hoping that with their massage and stretching things will feel better. I want them to massage my neck as well. I actually felt tightness right up to my jaw. Today that feels better, thank goodness.

If I do my math correctly, your surgeon has you in the sling for what 6 weeks? I'm glad mine came out at 4. Hope you had a good weekend. Talk to you all soon.
Sue

Yes, 6 weeks in the sling - less than 3 weeks to go. I see the surgeon (first post op visit since I skipped the 2 week) on Thurs. We'll see what he says but I think things are going well.

Happy Monday, @momweb ! You're almost at 6 weeks! How did the return to PT go? Are you able to build up more strength and stamina in the arm? I know that when I first started typing, I couldnt do it too long without it starting to get sore. If I took a break, I could get some more in. Gradually, I've been able to increase the amount of time I can do it iin one go. What exercises are you doing now?

Congrats! You are now at the magic 6 week mark (although it means less under your regimen. How are the exercises going? Are you ready to pat your head and rub your tummy? Have the spasms ever lessened or gone away?

I start PT on Monday. I'm trying to decide what to do about my hair before I go out in public. Do I go with the quarantine "don't you love my white hair" look, attempt to color one-handed or figure out the logistics of a friend or my future DIL helping (where I'll likely still need to rinse out on my own. I may even try to shave - oh, my!

The nerves run from the spine to the fingertips, I was told, and I had that same feeling.

Today I saw the surgeon for my 8 week check-up. It will be 8 weeks on Thursday. Looking back time went really quickly. The first thing I asked him was how he was doing with this whole Covid thing. He's a surgeon and unable to do what he does. He thanked me for asking and said that as of last night at 9 pm Connecticut was authorizing the return to elective surgeries. His problem is he has 80 patients waiting for surgery. He has to go through those records and pick and choose who gets surgery now and who doesn't. What an emotional process for even the docs!! I felt for him.

Anyways I'm doing great. I can almost put my hand on my head without bending it. I have no issue moving my arm to the side while bent. Lifting my arm to the side is almost 90 degrees and I can just about touch my bottom while reaching behind. Tomorrow I start advanced protocol at PT, whatever that is. I'll let you know after tomorrow.

In the meantime, I can garden and do anything else I want with moderation. Return in 4 weeks.

I was pleased.

Wonderful visit! I'll need more specificity with my visit next week. Some of the others on here can attest that I don't know the meaning of the word "moderation" (or at least that my definition is not necessarily the same as others').

You're right, we are fairly close on our recovery timelines. Probably to be expected. I'd think the one week difference wouldnt matter as much the further we get from surgery. It's not a race, but that doesn't mean we can push/pull each other along!

Take care!

@SaraK well, I think I overdid my "moderation" today. I had an area rug that my son's dog used as her pee pad when she first came to live with us (my son is here while he's out of work and so is his cute little dog). So, I wanted to use the sunny windy weather to wash the rug. I used the electric washer I have then used a brush to further clean.

THEN -- I decided I could cut down an overgrown and halfway dead rose bush. Not only did the prickers get to me, but when I was finished, I realized how I'd overdone. I'm guessing I'll be icing a bit more tonight. Moderation? What's that?:heehee:

I've actually gotten to the point where heat works better than ice - I have my tubesock filled with rice that I zap in the microwave and the just lay across my shoulder. Perfect for warming up the muscles before pt and relaxing them after.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back