TKR Mom2Lucy's Recovery Thread

Josephine will be the one to help pinpoint your pain.
I can only tell you what happened to me. Yes, my IT band is tight. On both sides. But, I haven't experienced the bursitis as I have pre op. Ice and massage help me with that. That may have been a part of my problem, but not the main part.

I pulled muscles at the top of my calf. The pain...wow! Lost my extension. Got in to see my pt quickly and he diagnosed it. When he touched the area I saw stars. Mine was behind the knee at top of calf. The pain radiated everywhere.
Lots of icing, staying off it and tens. I re-started pt and it's mostly gone. PT does deep massage, ultrasound, gentle stretching, tens, ice. I do stretching at home and have started some gentle strengthening. So, yes, in a little more than a week I have seen great improvement.

I hope yours improves quickly.

I wish you could, too.
That pain had me in tears and a bit scared. Couldn't walk. Couldn't bend. I now have a knee support sleeve that I wear when I'm going to be on my feet a bit. It has helped stabilize the knee. Or feels like it.

That’s not a good start for the new year for you @Mom2Lucy . Haven’t got any answers just a few hugs:console2:

Thank you @Newboots, I swear it’s one step forward and about four back:gaah:
Hugs and best wishes for a happy and healthy new year!

Good morning all, today I have a dull ache that runs from knee to ankle. The tens unit yesterday evening brought no relief, although it seemed to be helpful the day before. I’m still continuously icing and elevating, but unfortunately I do have to go out today, and I’m dreading getting in and out of my car. At least I’ll be only a few blocks from my home, unlike the horrible drive a couple days ago.
I’m wondering if a dull ache is consistent with IT Band?
I’m at a loss as to understand all this recent pain, as I have not changed my lifestyle. And my Christmas and New Years were very quiet times.

unlike the horrible drive a couple days ago
I believe your knee is still recouping from that awful drive. It can take weeks to snap back from a set back, so just continue to do as much resting, icing, and elevating as you can.

Hi all, I decided today that next week I’m going to try a few hours at work. I talked with my bosses, who have been great all through this, and next week I’m going to try Monday, Wednesday and Friday Three hours each day. I still have some worries about the IT band , but maybe going back will be a good distraction

I don’t see my surgeon until Jan 17 , so I’m hoping this will be a good test of the knee, and I’ll have more information to relay in my visit with him.

@Mom2Lucy did I read on another thread that you enjoyed physio in the water? I got cleared for the hospital pool today and have an appointment tomorrow. Do you have any hints on what kind of exercises are okay and not in the water?

Hi @grandma chris , yes I love being in the water for exercise. I just go in and do my own thing, as I don’t live where there’s a hospital pool. I make sure I move very carefully and quite slowly to keep a good form. Walking forward, backwards and sideways, hamstring curl, calf raises, lifting my leg out to the side(no bend), and lifting my leg straight up [forward). I’ve looked at the exercises on you tube and stay with the simple ones. Oh, and I’ll do that bicycle motion gently once I’ve warmed up the leg. There’s one lady on you tube, Dr. Jo. Her exercises are straightforward and simple, although they’re not specific to post surgery.

It is easy to overdo it in the water, I’ve learned that myself. Let me know how you get on. :)

Wow, today is my three month anniversary! Pre- surgery, that seemed like such a long break, turns out it’s not long at all.:rotfl:
For all the research I did before the surgery, I now realize there is nothing that can really prepare you for the actual experience.
Thank you to Bone Smart and everyone on the forum, the real help comes from everyone who’s walked this path:thankyou:

Yay well done for getting there and staying the course with good humour and resilience. I have a ‘pain buddy’ ( not recovering from a tkr) and she always says we need resilience and endurance. Have a good day.

At three months, I’m still struggling with getting a decent sleep. Most nights I cannot get to sleep, and when I finally do, I’m awake every hour or two. Anyone else still struggling to sleep well?

Have you tried Tylenol PM? Many find that helps them to sleep.

I really “understand” and can identify with sleepless nights. In fact, I get a bit sad when bedtime nears. I am grateful for this forum..because many have shared the challenge of an “inability to get comfortable” and sleep through the night. I try to accept that - this too shall pass. Tomorrow makes my six weeks post op. This recovery has been a roller coaster ride.
This new baby knee dictates my thoughts and daily actions. Thankfully, I have this forum to read throughout the night and into the early morning hours. My best to all!!!!

I rarely sleep more than three hours straight. I take melatonin at night and I have a prescription for Trazodone to take as needed. These help me fall asleep but they don't keep me asleep. I just roll with it when I wake up. Sometimes I turn on the lights and strangely enough that helps me get sleepy again. My husband doesn't like it but bless him, he puts up with it,

Yup - member in good standing of the little to no sleep club. While I am getting 5/7 hrs a night it is generally in 1-3 hour chunks. Each week it gets a little better but still quite annoying.

@sistersinhim , yes I just tried the Tylenol PM over the weekend with no success. I wouldn’t even care except for starting back to work. My morning and /or afternoon naps will not be as available to me soon, lol.

At over 3 months I’m taking a Tramadol before bed cus my knee is still a bit painful . I get sleepy but then find it difficult to actually get to sleep. When I get to sleep I do wake up but usually can get back to sleep again. Luckily I’m not getting up for work. Occasionally have a nap in the day.
So you are not alone @ Mom2Lucy but can’t offer constructive help. Maybe when you are at work you’ll be so tired that sleep comes more naturally.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom