THR MoM resurfacing converted to ceramic dual mobility.

Thought I would give a quick update. Doing good, just have a lot of residual swelling in my rectus femoris. Its visible all the way from the insertion to about 4 inches down. You can feel a large amount of swelling almost like I am holding liquid in that spot.

I have been going to PT twice a week, mostly manual therapy. The therapist was able to move the lump of swelling around. This makes sense as I am still having trouble lifting my leg. I thought it was the psoas, but its to the left of it on the anatomy chart. I was reading the rectus femoris is also a primary hip flexor.

May reach out to HSS and see if they want me to come in. Hopefully they can drain it or give me a cortisone shot.

Thanks,

Larry

@ljpviper

What made you decide on the dual mobility implant? Do you like it?

I had never heard of such a thing until I realized recently that my shiny new hip won't do some of the things the old one did. (I've practiced yoga all my life and the new hip is severely limiting).

I'm looking at having my other hip replaced and am looking into the dual mobility option.

Hello,

After my hip resurfacing failed I researched what type of hip replacement device to go with. The reason I got the hip resurfacing was that the dislocation rates are very low and we’re able to return to most types of excersises.

I had a long discussion with my surgeon at HSS prior to replacing the femoral component of my bad resurfacing. He suggested the dual mobility as its very hard to dislocate and seems to have better range of motion.

I can tell you that the dual mobility feels way more natural than the resurfacing and I cant tell the difference between my left hip that is natural. I am still working through some soft tissue issues but overall I can’t complain as I have had 3 surgeries on that right hip.

Regards,

Larry

Went to doctor and he was able reproduce the pain, he also noted the swelling. I got a shot of cortisone into my tendon sheath of the rectus femoris.

Wow he must have hit the spot I had to lift my leg into the truck. I always thought psoas was your primary hip flexor. The doctor stated the rectus femoris is just as important as a hip flexor. Hopefully the shot will relieve the symptoms.

Thanks,

Larry

:mcoffee: Good morning @ljpviper
Just wondering how you were doing?
Hope things have improved.

Good morning, seems the swelling is down a bit in the rectus femoris area. Definitely less pain. I was not expecting to be swollen 7 months after the surgery.

I guess it shows that while they tout anterior hip replacement as less evasive than the posterior approach, your body still goes through substantial trauma.

thanks for checking up

Larry

Last edited:
I guess is shows that while they tout anterior hip replacement as less evasive than the posterior approach, your body still goes through substantial trauma.

Yes! You have that right. Good to read the swelling is down and pain is easing. Give yourself some TLC and let your body continue to do it’s thing.
Happy healing and Happy Wednesday! :SUNsmile:

Well thought I would give another quick update as it’s been almost 9 months. I started riding my dirt bike again in some easy trails. I checked with my surgeon early on and he said that should not be a problem.

I noticed some new pains on my thigh kinda where the stem should be. Not sure if it’s just muscular as your hips to take some of the shock when riding. At this point the femoral component should have solid bone in growth. Might just take a visit up to HSS and get an xray if the pain does not go away.

It stinks giving up activities you like as I just turned 50.

Thanks,

Larry

Thanks for the update, Larry. It seems you’re doing well. At 50, you’re as young as you’ll ever be, so enjoy those rides on your dirt bike and whatever else you’re comfortable engaging in.

As for the pain you described, for a couple years after my THR, I’d notice a pain near where I believe is the end of the stem of the prosthetic. I’d mainly notice it if I outstretched my legs onto an ottoman, or onto the coffee table as I watched tv while on the sofa. It wasn’t super painful, just twinges, or faint throbbing that seemed to go away if I changed position. Is what you’ve described at all similar? Never hurts to question your surgeon or a member of his care team. I won’t underestimate the feeling reassurance and the resulting peace of mind brings.
Have a great week!
@ljpviper

Hello Layla,

Yes = It wasn’t super painful, just twinges, or faint throbbing that seemed to go away if I changed position. Is what you’ve described at all similar.

This is what I feel as well. A faint throbbing and maybe a 1 pain level. The surgeon gave me no restrictions even jogging. I guess it makes sense you do have a stem down your bone so any impact may cause these additional pains.

I will keep an eye on it, I appreciate the quick response.

Thanks,

Larry

Yes, that sounds the same. Please don’t hesitate to touch base with your surgeons office if you have concerns though. I’m sure through conversation they’ll be able to reassure you, or suggest you make an appt. if they feel it’s necessary. :)
@ljpviper

I noticed some new pains on my thigh kinda where the stem should be. Not sure if it’s just muscular as your hips to take some of the shock when riding. At this point the femoral component should have solid bone in growth. Might just take a visit up to HSS and get an xray if the pain does not go away.
Sounds similar to what I felt for a while during my 90 minute commute (I was glad to leave that behind) but it did fade with time. I agree with Layla though, it it continues to bother you it couldn't hurt to check with your OS.

Thanks got an appointment for next Thursday. Also, I am still getting a lot of swelling in the psoas/rectus femoris area. At nine months out I find this strange. This was prior to pushing my hip with new activities.

The posterior approach for my prior hip resurfacing, I did not have this amount of swelling. It went away in weeks after the surgery. Not sure if its that hip has been through 3 surgeries in 10 years.

Thanks,

Larry

Last edited:
I wish you the best with your appointment next Thursday, Larry. I hope you get answers that lead to resolving the issue. Three surgeries / recoveries within 10 yrs, is no picnic. My OS mentioned to me once that some people deal with swelling up to a year, so….who knows? Please stay in touch and let us know what you hear next Thursday.
I hope you enjoy the weekend.
@ljpviper

Hi Larry
I have not been active on here for some time. I had such a horrendous hip replacement and revision journey I didn’t really want to scare anyone.

However, I have been following your messages. Firstly I have just 3 weeks ago had some components in my hip changed. I had developed some metallosis.
Like yourself it was discovered early but it’s still a big surgery to go through.

You mentioned that you had previously suffered with glute pain. Well same here. My gluteus medius was very weak and I had a very thorough assessment which demonstrated clearly that my TFL and Rec Fem were compensating. The result of course was Rectus Femoris Tendonitis and I can sympathise because yes it’s very painful and feels horribly tight.

My consultant suggested a cortisone injection into the tendon and it really helped.

These recoveries are so tough especially if you suffer with anxiety ( I understand what you mean about benzo , hell to get off !)
I literally go into meltdown if any new pain appears and it’s not helpful but I can hear just how determined you are and how badly you want to get back to doing the things you love. Having unwanted restrictions placed upon you is hard to bear and I can’t tell you how much I want to be back on my horse again.

Of course I am not medical but from what you are explaining it does seem to point to some disruption of your hip flexor tendons. The good news is they do settle down but I still have some days I feel the tightness which is quite painful.

I am sure you will feel better for seeing your consultant and your pain settles quickly.

Hello Beackford,

Great post, I agree I believe I have a lot of imbalances between my different hip flexors and glutes,etc. When the flexors tighten it just causes so many issues. I had psoas tendonitis issues way back in 2011 after my first hip scope. Its funny my left hip is also scoped but never really had any major psoas issues. I have pain there upon deep flexion, but its bearable. I don't think I will look at replacing it any time soon.

I have been icing everyday and working laying back on my bed as I work remote. Recovery is just so tricky, you think your good for new activities and bam, you go backwards.

I see you have had so many dislocations based on your signature. You must be a very strong person to deal with that. Thanks again for the helpful post.

Regards,

Larry

To be honest yes a dislocation hurts like the devil but each time it was popped back in and I was right back on my feet walking.
This recovery is what is doing me in! I have become so impatient I rest for about ten minutes and then up again trying to walk , I literally never listen to my own advice. The urge to walk unaided has become so strong it’s like an itch I can’t leave alone!
I can so tell the leg isn’t up to walking unaided but because I can do just a bit I obsessively do this all day .
Anyone reading this please note this is not the right way to get your mobility back . Keep using the crutches which is exactly what I should be doing.
I am of course allowed full weight bearing so I am not going against instructions but I know I am really pushing myself!
Larry , keep on keeping on , you will get all these niggles smoothed out and life will be better than ever without pain!

Went for my appointment yesterday at HSS. Components all look good on the X-ray. He was not too concerned about the swelling. He stated he has seen it up to a year after utilizing the anterior approach.

My hip feels better than 2 weeks ago, so I imagine I got all the soft tissues angry. At this point he said I have no restrictions even jogging. I don’t plan to jog as my left hip has minor arthritis and don’t want to degrade it. Hopefully science comes up with some type of cartilage regeneration in the next 10 years.

I think I will start trying to live a more normal life and just deal with the pain cycles as they come. HSS has pretty good database of hip replacement results so I am confident on the surgeons advice.

thanks

Larry

Thanks for updating, Larry. I hope the reassurance you received has eased your mind. My OS also mentioned that swelling can last up to a full year post op for some. Since you have several months until your one year anniversary, your idea of trying to live a normal life sounds like a good one. I hope you have a nice weekend! :SUNsmile:
@ljpviper

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back