THR MoM resurfacing converted to ceramic dual mobility.

Quick question for all you anterior method replacement members. I just dropped the crutches this week. Not doing a ton of walking, just enough daily to keep good form without limping.

I did notice some upper glute pain surface this week, not sure if thats normal. I have read through others posts and it appears some get it. My swelling went down, still have some numbness on the side of my hip down the quad.

Sorry for all the questions. I am paranoid about glute pain as the failed resurfacing caused chronic really bad glute pain for three years.

Thanks,

Larry

Hi Larry.
The numbness you describe stuck around so long in my case I had begun to believe it may be collateral damage from my anterior BTHR.
The area that was numb got smaller and smaller with each passing month until finally at almost a year out, I noticed all was back to normal.

Regarding the upper glute pain, I was reminded, while in my recovery, that not only was I recovering from the surgical procedure, but also the effects or issues created by my years of bad gait/ posture, etc from wrecked hips.
Perfectly understandable that this would make you anxious.

Keep doing what you are doing...conscious walking heel/toe and hopefully you have acquired new shoes because the old wear pattern on old ones can be bad on recovering soft tissue too.

My surgeon is Dr Bong from Orthopedic Associates in the Milwaukee WI area. I was originally referred to him by my PT when she informed me that there was nothing more she could do for me. She recommended Dr Bong because of the hip resurfacing procedure he performed. During the initial consult he informed me that he stopped doing the M on M resurfacing and only performed the anterior total replacement. He explained the problem with the M on M. I was originally disappointed, but upon further study I began to see why. I’m happy that everything went well for you. My hip is ceramic in a polymer cup. I could’ve be happier with the result.

I did notice some upper glute pain surface this week
Without crutches you are putting more weight on that new joint. You might want to transition to a cane for now until that pain eases. As your muscles strengthen you will naturally start leaving any walking aids behind.

:wave:Sending belated anniversary wishes. Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re enjoying the weekend and have a wonderful week to come!
@ljpviper

Thanks Layla. So far so good. The glute pain is gone, the only pain I have is in the front by the incision and down the the quads. It's very manigible.

Tuesday makes week six, so now it's finding the balance of adding new excersises without overdoing. My surgeon said its ok to start riding bike outside, the weather is nice in Miami.

Thanks,

Larry

Hi, Larry.
Glad to hear your glute pain is gone.
Please be careful if you decide to start doing some biking next week... cycling definitely works on the rules as they are responsible for initiation of the downward phase of the pedal stroke.
And of course, no falling down and going boom.:bicycle2:

Bit jealous...The weather is always nice in Miami, unless there is a hurricane of course.:heehee:

Yeah living in Miami all my life hurricane season is always nerve wracking.

I plan on seeing my old PT therapist today. He is very knowledgeable and not one of those push threw pain,etc. He actually helped me alot with ART sessions and basic hip strength excersises prior to surgery. I am fine with just walking, I think I can benefit with some light stretching of my left hip(non replaced). I still have decent joint space, It only hurts when I go into deep flexion. I definitely want to extend the life of the natural hip. The scope failed on that side as well, but I dont have chronic pain. I will leave it alone for now.

Thanks

Larry

Seems like my new hips at three months were ready for anything...and while in motion they were.
Seems like it only became obvious I had overdone it when I stopped.
Can be a bit tricky to find the lines.:umm:
Sound like you have a good PT so Slow and Mindful will get you back to Healthy and Strong.

So glad you were able to get this done before metalosis could cause any significant damage to your health.
Hope this week is a good week.:SUNsmile:

Thanks for all the support, this board is so helpful in recovery. Sleep is still hit or miss. Unfortunately I suffer from insomnia and anxiety. Mix that all in with the chronic pain prior to the replacement for the faulty resurfacing, I was a mess.

Hopefully when I can start on a normal excersise routine, it will help with my anxiety. Those benzo medications prescribed for anxiety are the devil. They are very difficult to get off of them, but that entirely different story. I am just happy I am progressing nicely on my recovery.

Thanks,

Larry

All night sleep was the last piece of my recovery puzzle to fall into place.
Like you, chronic pain pre-op for years had my sleep cycle So Messed Up. Then, post-op, positions were difficult and I slept best in my recliner.
Finally, all settled out....again seems like the 3 month mark.

Keep the faith.... More improvements are coming.:tada:

Does anyone know why the anterior method of surgery seems to cause so much swelling? I am six weeks on Tuesday and was moving something in the garage earlier in the week, bam my hip swelled up again. I remember in my posterior hip resurfacing I had very little swelling.

thanks

Larry

Hi @ljpviper
Sorry you've apparently angered your new hip... Not sure that it is the anterior approach that can be blamed.

Constant reminders on the forum not to compare recoveries with procedures ....even folks who have done closely staged replacements with same approach...posterior or anterior...seem confused at the differences in the amount of swelling or pain, etc.

Not sure what you moved but twists, turns, and additional weight loads can anger still healing soft tissue.
6 weeks out makes us anxious to be more mobile, but increased swelling tells us to take a step back....or rather take some days for icing and elevating again.

Booooring:bored: I know!
But with a little extra babying I bet you'll be back on track in no time.
Toes above nose:ice::ice:

Yeah thanks, I backed the car out of the garage. It sits low didn't think much of it. I guess twisting to get in and out of it was all it took to bring on a new round of swelling. I think being able to walk pain free gives you that false sense of security.

I have been back to icing and elevating since Tuesday. These recoveries are definitely not linear no matter what surgical technique is involved.

Thanks,

Larry

Yes, moving the car would seem to be rather benign ..

I just had to remind myself often -
Tightness is a normal occurrence after this kind of major surgery. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area. You aren't tight because your muscle is underused and needs to be stretched and rehabbed. You're tight because your tissue is healing... If a long full step right now is causing pain and limping, don't take long full steps. Take smaller steps. Take a short walk several times a day, instead of longer walks. Use your cane. Use ice. Rest a lot.

This isn't the time to do anything to excess. Baby steps now, and lots of patience, pays off big time later. Recovering from self-induced tendinitis can end up taking weeks or months. Consider yourself as still recovering from surgery and structure your return to your life as a slow, gradual process where you introduce very small increments in activity, and then give yourself time to see how you react to it.
All temporary, and worth the patience. I am certainly glad I am able to get back to a full happy life.

Oops, forgot to attach
Screenshot_20210123-091249.png

Sleep is still hit or miss. Unfortunately I suffer from insomnia and anxiety.

Not a pleasant combo. I’m sorry you struggle with each, Larry.
I have a suggestion, consider Magnesium as it may help ease both insomnia and anxiety. It’s definitely worth researching yourself to see what you think. It doesn’t list anxiety below but if you do an online search in regard to Magnesium and anxiety, you’ll find plenty of information.

Magnesium supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

I hope this helps and you find relief soon. Wishing you peace of mind and restorative rest.
Hope today is a good one! :)

Larry I hope your swelling goes back down. I developed swelling again at about the three month mark and I still have it now at five months. My doctor tells me that it is not normal but so far he does not know why the swelling came back. Hopefully your swelling is still from the surgery and not an indication of something wrong and it will go away. If I could go back and have my surgery again I would find a doctor that does the mini posterior approach instead of the anterior approach. I wish I had done a bit more research before my surgery.

I think being able to walk pain free gives you that false sense of security.

It certainly did for me at about 5-6 weeks, right about where you are. Felt great, did more than I realized until I thought about it the next day while sitting with my toes above nose on my ice pack in pain. The Over Did It Club (ODIC) is really easy to join at you stage of recovery @ljpviper.The trick is to not be a frequent member!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Tallguy51
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom