Revision THR MoM hips

Blankie12

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi, Has anyone had adverse effects from a metal on metal hip?

I had a revision in Oct 2009 and was given a MoM hip. The hip had caused problems over the years and resulted in complex surgery in June 2018. The MoM had caused a very large pseudo tumour which has destroyed muscle and soft tissue and had damaged the bone which resulted in a break in the femur, another THR and removal of the tumour.

The tumour had been compressing the main vein and was also wrapped around a major nerve in the leg and all this also caused an ulcer in the leg which has now got MRSA infection so I have also now been referred to Tissue Viability Assessment Unit.

I am still on crutches and due to see my surgeon again next week to see if I can start to apply more weight to the leg and then begin to work more closely with my physio, hoping to get back to walking to enable me to return to work.

Has anyone else been through this and what was the outcome ?

@Blankie12 Welcome to BoneSmart. You are a sad testament to the MoM hip issue. So sorry you had to go through this!

There are several members who have gone through revisions of MoM hips. But most are no longer posting as they are back to living life again.

I hope you get the all clear to start weight bearing at your appointment! If you could please give me the exact dates of your original THR and your revision I'll pop them in your signature for you. Oh - and which hip is it?

What a journey you've been on. I'm so sorry.
Prayers for your comfort and healing.
Please stay in touch. We'd love to support and encourage you on the journey.
Wishing you peace.
@Blankie12

I agree with Jaycey - very sad. And there is no way to assess how quickly you will recover as you've had quite a bit of soft tissue excised.

But there are our recovery articles

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Has anyone else been through this and what was the outcome ?
We've actually not had any members like you at present, so can't help there. Sorry

I'd also like to ask you which hospital and which surgeon are dealing with your case? Just out of interest, of course!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom