TKR Pain 2 years after TKR

@Mollymax. I apologize ahead of time if all the suggestions are bothering you.I think we are trying to help because we don't want you to be in such pain and it also could very easily be one of us.

What about asking the Doctor about a cortisone injection or a nerve block?

I hope you get relief soon.:console2:

Thanks everyone. I did manage to get some sleep on the sofa from about 5am. Today I have done nothing again. Just sat with legs up and iced. Knee is very stiff. Piriformis hasn't been too bad today. Had a couple of bad bouts of it and typical it's flared up just as bed time comes round. My knee doesn't seem to like being in bed. After and hour or two it starts to ache and just keeps getting worse until I am forced up. I am not doing any of the exercises I was given as I don't want to cause either the knee or the bum to hurt more than it does.
If by end of week I can sit long enough we may try go to caravan. @ Celle our caravan has full central heating and double glazing and insulation and is really cosy once you get the heating going. The site is closed all February so it would only be a week visit.
A chiropractor sounds a good idea if this keeps up.
Hubby is thinking on booking a holiday for March to cheer me up. Not sure if we will but the thought is there which is nice.
One day I know I will get up and think 'hey I am not in pain today' it's just waiting for that day. Can I roll back to the last knee op and just have a duplicate of that recovery please. . Lol.

Not too bad a night last night. It was more a night of just not being able to sleep. Had a couple of hours between 3am and 5am then a little bit of pain and uncomfort woke me up. Funnily enough I find I can sleep a little better on the sofa as I came down stairs and dozed for another couple of hours. Knee feels really tight and stiff today though. I notice other knee is a bit sore but that's only to be expected being only 6 months old.

Last edited:
I notice other knee is a bit sore but that's only to be expected being only 6 has old.
You are so right that it's to be expected. Your 'old' knee is still a preteen and only halfway of being healed. It is taking on most of the responsibility now and isn't very happy about it!

4 week post op today. Didn't have a good night. Had to get up at 2.30am as my knee was just too sore to stay in bed. Took the last of the morphine to get me through the rest of the night. Had some tears. Read my book and eventually dozed on the sofa. This is a hard recovery.
Now no matter how I curse my husband for showing no sympathy or consideration he said he was feeling sorry for me so has booked a holiday to Cyprus for March. He checked it was OK with the dates. Same time span as when I went on holiday after first knee so that is OK. So that is giving me something to look forward to throughout all this awful pain. Hopefully it will cheer me up.

I’m glad you have a holiday to look forward to @Mollymax .

This has probably come up before, but is it possible that morphine is just not the best med for you? When I left the hospital, I was sent home with tramadol, it did nothing for me and I was in agony.

Five days later,(because of a long weekend , Canadian Thanksgiving) my surgeon switched me over to Percocet and the improvement was immediate.

Just wondering if some other med might give you more relief? :what:

@Mom2Lucy I don't think the morphine really worked. I would lie awake in pain after taking it just waiting for it to kick in but it never seemed to. Tonight it's only dihydrocodeine and paracetamol. I have taken the paracetamol regularly throughout the day to try not allow the pain to build up. Fingers crossed I might get a sleep tonight. Feeling happier but I think a lot of that is to do with hubby booking a holiday to take me away.

Glad to see your feeling a little better. It helps to have something to look forward to. Hope you get some sleep!

Hope things are improving even slightly. It's the little things that I only noticed looking back that showed me that I was getting better. I didn't have to X or Y any more or I could suddenly do Z which I hadn't been able to do for ages.
The holiday is something to work towards. Have you booked extra leg room seats on the plane? Och you know the drill from last time. Let 'airport assistance' do their thing!

@Celle for that info. I made sure it was the same length of time between surgery and the last time I flew on holiday. I checked with OS and that timescale is fine.
Getting so fed up being in pain, not sleeping, being stuck in the house. In other words I am going stir crazy. I have read 6 books so far mostly during the night. Daytime TV is so bad I don't even put it on. I see physio on Monday so I will how she thinks I am doing. I am comfort eating big style. That needs to stop or when I go back into work trousers or my jeans they ain't going to fit.

Netflix? I gave up on jeans after the first TKR. They were a bit too rough on my scar. M&S yoga pants for me. I have about 10 pairs. They go with everything and are always soft and comfortable.
Sorry the nights are so bad. Bet you're stir crazy. Any chance of a chum taking you out for coffee /lunch?

Well it was back to a night of tears and no sleep. The pain behind my knee going down into foot was awful during the night. It had been sore all day and I had been pretty miserable. I managed to get a couple of hours sleep but woke at 3am in pain. Took paracetamol - no relief. After tears got up and had a cuppa and finished another book. Went back to bed. Loads more tears. Didn't matter how I lay whether on my back, pillow under knee, on my side pillow between legs - it all hurt big style. I can't be any lazier than I am being. I haven't been out, not doing any housework as hubby doing it all. All I am doing is walking between sitting room and kitchen and up stairs to toilet. I can't stand this pain much longer. It's really getting me down. Only slight good thing is the bum pain has been a little bit easier - it's not away but it's not as bad.

:console2::console2:Maybe call your doctor again?

@Jockette I did that to hubby this morning that I need to see doctor. I have the physio tomorrow morning so will hold off till Tuesday to try see doctor. Getting an appointment is a nightmare though. Keeping up with the painkillers today but I will eventually run out of dihydrocodeine and when doctor gave me the last prescription he had hoped I wouldn't need any more and be able to stop them as I have been on them years because of the arthritis.

:console2:I feel it’s more vital to see the doctor asap. Have they done anything to check for a torn muscle or ligament, etc. There’s so much that Xrays don’t reveal. Having physio while you’re in this much pain seems counterproductive.

As to stopping an arthritis med, you may need it. (For instance , I know from Xrays taken for other issues, that I definitely have arthritis in one ankle and throughout my neck. , C1 to C6 are affected. Other joints haven’t been xrayed yet, lol, nor has the rest of my spine.) But my point being that you likely have more arthritis than the knees. Medication may still be needed.
Don’t let the doctor take you off anything until you get this pain under better control.

Just my two cents worth....

It's good the piriformis pain has receded. Hard to know what a doc could do other than prescribe more meds which I suspect he'd be unhappy to do.

@Jockette I did that to hubby this morning that I need to see doctor. I have the physio tomorrow morning so will hold off till Tuesday to try see doctor. Getting an appointment is a nightmare though. Keeping up with the painkillers today but I will eventually run out of dihydrocodeine and when doctor gave me the last prescription he had hoped I wouldn't need any more and be able to stop them as I have been on them years because of the arthritis.
Molly, it's more important to get your pain relief medication sorted out than it is to go to PT. You shouldn't be spending your nights in tears.

Right from the start this time, your pain medication regime seems to have been ineffective.
I don't think it's very common for someone to be given oral Morphine. Maybe other meds would be more effective?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie