TKR Pain 2 years after TKR

Hey @Mollymax , I think you should stay on and rant away too. We are your sympathetic and empathetic ears as we’re all on this journey together. It’s awful to have little support at home, and you do need to be able to vent and express your feelings.
And whether you have a low threshold of pain or not is subjective. It’s your pain, and you’re in the midst of it.
It’s physically, emotionally, and mentally exhausting to be in pain.
Stay on the forum! We can’t be there with you in person to help you, but we are there with you in spirit!
:console2::console2:

Thanks everyone. Really bad night. Terrible pain in knee and thigh. Awake from 4am in tears. In so much pain. So unhappy.

Oh dear. What's the plan? More meds? Dr's appointment tomorrow?

I've suggested just about everything I can think of to take your mind off the pain. Its a bit too late today but you did say you felt the benefit of a short walk the other day.
Also, you mentioned that it was the pain in your knee and thigh that bothered you. No mention of your hip. Was it a bit better then?
Everything seems worse in the small hours.

@Spex10 my knee was agony during the night but the pain from under the bum is horrendous. I can press exactly where it is under my bum and feel the pain when I press on it. It's not in my actual.hip but then it shoots of down my entire leg. Today has been particularly bad. I have no idea what to do. Morphine is now finished and I don't want anymore but the dihydrocodeine doesn't seem to do anything for the pain. Have done nothing for the last 2 days except watch TV and read. I notice left knee been a bit sore and wobbly too. Just fed up and miserable.

How about acupuncture, the traditional Chinese type? I find that helpful.

I have tried to do the exercises physio gave me just out of interest to see if they would help the bum pain but decided against them as not going to cause my knee any problems because of doing them. What I did notice on the small squats I tried (barely squatted btw) my right knee was ok with it but the left one rea

When I told my PT I wasn't going to do squats, she figured out some other exercises for me. :)

You may have already said whether you've tried this, but have you tried alternating ice and heat for the piriformis issue? :console2:

@kneeper yes I have tried that.

Its 3.25am. Now been awake since 2am. Tonight the pain is in and behind my knee. It is really bad. Surely this pain can't be right. I am thinking back to 4 weeks with last knee and although it was sore it wasn't this bad. Yes I didn't sleep but it wasn't excruciating pain that kept me awake. I have had to come get up and am now having a cup of tea. Maybe if I had the bed to myself I could cope better but I am disturbing hubby all night. Unfortunately we don't have a spare bed here at home. He slept on a blow up bed the first two weeks. That's one of his the reasons we stayed in our static caravan last time as we had spare rooms and beds.
Do I go back to the doctor but I doubt he can do any thing else for me.
Sorry I said I was going to stay away instead of moaning but I don't know what to do.

@Mollymax
Hey hun :console2:

Not sure why but I got no alerts that there were some posts on your thread or would have hobbled over here immediately for you.

I am there with you. The 3-5week time was terrifying for me with the tears. I couldn’t control it and it scared me to death because I thought I was so strong. And remember I have the piriformis issue as well so I am right there about that pain in the :censored: issue.

People can be incredibly cruel and insensitive because they don’t see a cast and we aren’t barking coughing so we aren’t sick. We can’t change others so we need to protect ourselves.

Please please please reach out to us here 24/7 when you need someone. We all struggle with demons and lack of sleep so someone will be around just to listen. It’s not whining. It’s putting the load on others to share and carry it for you. Your time will come months down the road when you will be hugging someone else who’s where you are right now.

We got you. :roseshwr:

I am right in the same post op period. While I have pain it's nowhere near what you suffer with. I'm so sorry for you enduring this. My emotions can be all over the place for no reason at all from one day to the next. I stopped trying to figure out why and just go with it as it seems to be a temporary part of my life for the time being. Hands down this is the absolute hardest thing I have ever been through and I have had previous major surgeries. This recovery would be so much harder without everyone here. While I have wonderful support from my fiance the ones who truly get it are here. I pray you get some relief and grateful we are not alone.

@Mollymax Had my knee replaced a few days after you. Stay strong, we're in this together! Like the advisors say, don't do too much that causes plain, no rushing! Stay calm and firstly, worry about that BP!
I'll be having you in my thoughts and prayers!
:idea::prayer:

Oh @Mollymax I'm so sorry you had another bad night. If there's one time you're out of pain it's when you're asleep. Also, everything seems better after a decent night's sleep. Is there any way you could get to the caravan? Even the bathroom is on the same level. I know you planned to go there but were put off by the journey. Might it be worth a try?

@Mollymax i have been watching your thread as my 2nd TKR is coming up. I had piriformis problems and back issues with my first TKR 5 months ago. Do you have access to a good chiropractor? Mine helped with that pain so much using simple adjustments, he was very gentle and protective of my knees. I also used a pt who did muscle massage and dry needle acupuncture together the pain released quickly.
Don’t worry about being real here, people are supportive in the forum, we are all battling through the journey together and it is hard work.

Molly, I've been wondering if a chiropractor could help with your piriformis pain?
As the article, Piriformis syndrome - a pain in the butt! , explains, the pain is caused by muscles cramping up and compressing your sciatic nerve.
A skilled chiropractor will know how to massage that muscle, to help it to relax.

I see that the journey to your caravan is a problem and in any case a caravan in mid-winter sounds rather cold, so is there any other way that you could try sleeping without disturbing your husband?

Do you have a couch, a recliner, or a comfortable armchair with a footstool? I remember that I moved into a spare bedroom for at least a couple of months each time I had a knee replacement. I alternated between the spare bed and an armchair. We both slept better that way.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562