BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] Mollymax second recovery<

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Mollymax, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Newboots

Newboots member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Oh gosh you’re only at 3 weeks! Tell your family there are people like me who are still having pain at 3 months and according to my physio that’s perfectly normal for some patients.( The pain is not as bad as yours but it still means I’m not as active as I thought I’d be)
    I echo @Spex10 in her commiserations. You’re having a tough time no wonder you feel deflated.
    :unsure:

• Like Like x 1
  2. grandma chris

grandma chris graduate

Canada Canada
    @Mollymax I don't have anything to add to the conversation, I just want to give you a :console2:. I'm so sorry you're feeling the pain and that you're not getting more understanding from your loved ones. Hopefully this too shall pass - and sooner rather than later.

3. Mollymax

Mollymax graduate

I am just having a bad day folks. Took myself out a walk - 10 mins to the shop, bought some magazines and 10 mins back. Felt a bit better after that. My family just don't understand things. I have read them out bits, made them watch the operation that was on TV but they still think because you aren't in hospital then you aren't ill. I'm not ill which is right I am recovering from a major operation. Even my work doesn't understand because when I told my manager this was so much worse than the last knee she asked how could it be. It's everyone's perception. We are all different. I just don't cope with pain very well. I am frightened to overdo things and scared that things go wrong and I am not healing properly. The left knee which was done in June is still giving the occasional wobble which it did today. I am glad I had 2 walking sticks with me. That knee just isn't steady yet.

I did open the quality street by the way. Only trouble is I now can't stop delving in to them. Soon be done at this rate.. :heehee:

• Like Like x 1
  4. grandma chris

grandma chris graduate

Canada Canada
    Great! The chocolate will help enormously - gotta love those serotonins!

5. Mom2Lucy

Mom2Lucy senior

Canada Canada
    When I read posts of family and spouses being non compassionate, I ‘m extra happy that I’m single and am doing this process alone. Much easier.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    At three weeks out, that's way too much walking. No wonder you are having pain! Please baby that knee and cut back on your activities.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mollymax

Mollymax graduate

@sistersinhim I was in pain overnight and all morning before I went out. The guide the hospital gave me said I should be doing this amount of walking by this time. Physio told me the same when I saw her on Monday. I know the BS way isn't to do this much yet but I was so down today I just had to get out of the house

8. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

OK. You have to do what you think is right. You are in control of your recovery. I wish you the best.

9. Spex10

Spex10 post-grad

It feels so good to get out. Although it may have been difficult @Mollymax, I bet it was worth it. Nice to have a bit of independence.

10. Mollymax

Mollymax graduate

@Spex10 yes it was nice to get out. I had to do something to combat the depression that was setting in. Took it easy and remembered the heel to toe walk. Physio said I was walking with too a wooden leg and had to learn to bend the knee. Had a nice snooze on recliner when I got back. Eaten too many of the Quality Street. Dread to think of the weight gain when I go back to the Slimming Club.

11. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

You will automatically bend the knee more as the swelling goes down and you heal. At 3 weeks post op I didn’t worry about the heal to toe every time I walked, especially if I was in extra pain or really tired, and mine came along fine over time. At 3 weeks I was just trying to get through the day!

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Spex10

Spex10 post-grad

Forget the slimming club. Once your knees are settled (and they will be) you'll be able to get back to cycling and walking. Meanwhile fighting off the miseries matters most. Go out. Eat chocs. Do whatever little thing distracts you and keeps you going.
    Our local cinemas (Vue) have huge seats with lovely footrests. Could you possibly consider that? Mary Poppins or something gory? Just to take your mind off the discomfort. A big expedition no doubt but it could give your husband something to do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Newboots

Newboots member

Mary Poppins is a great idea. Went with my grandson who is also on crutches , my granddaughter who has Downs Syndrome and her mum. It suited from age 9 to 68 ! A winner! You are so right Spex10 cinemas are much more comfortable now. Ours is a little independent cinema and has fab ice cream . No dieting yet wait until I’m more active. !

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Mollymax

Mollymax graduate

Would love to go see Mary Poppins. That's a good idea. However the bum wouldn't let me sit long enough. The pain in my bum was bad during the night. Pain going from my bum right down to my ankle. This is proving more painful than my knee. Didn't sleep well and ended up getting up and trying to doze in the recliner. This morning I can't sit on that hip.

15. Spex10

Spex10 post-grad

Oh well. I hope you can manage a wee walk outside anyway. Just to keep you distracted from thinking about the pain. Do you play cards? Any chance of some chums coming round for a game of something? Monopoly? Scrabble? (I'm clutching at straws here!)

16. Mollymax

Mollymax graduate

I am climbing the walls in pain today. Going from bum right down back of knee down to foot. Tears not far away. Only people I have is my daughters and they are tied up with children all weekend. Its a case of cry and get on with it unfortunately

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  17. donnag1108

donnag1108 senior

My heart aches for you. I can't imagine the misery you are in. I know it doesn't help but I hope so much for you to find some relief and support.

18. Mollymax

Mollymax graduate

@donnag1108 thank you. Last time was so easy compared to this time. Don't get me wrong there was pain last time but it was manageable. This isn't. Doesn't help when you have a low pain threshold mind you. OK I am a bit of a wimp but that's me and I can't help it. I am trying to stretch out the thigh/bum to see if I can relieve the pain in any way but I can't. Sorry people I just want the pain to go away.
    Going to go off of here for a few days as you will be sick of hearing me moan. I have no one to talk to about how I am feeling and I guess that's why I come on here but its time for me to shut up.

• Like Like x 1
  19. donnag1108

donnag1108 senior

We can't do much but we can listen. Do let us know how you are doing. You are in my thoughts!

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Spex10

Spex10 post-grad

Don't worry @Mollymax. We all understand here. Rant away!

• Agree Agree x 1