BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs.

Read more about this in this announcement:>

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] Mollymax second recovery<

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Mollymax, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Mollymax

Mollymax graduate

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi all. Well here I am on the other side. Major meltdown with surgeon and anesthetist this morning. More tears than I have shed in a long time. Listed all my fears and they listened well. Was offered to postpone, go for GA and to even change leg. Was given a tablet for sedation while still on ward. Then taken down. Cannula put in elbow joint rather than hand and she was so good I didn't feel it. Local given to back and freeze spray. Unfortunately she couldn't find the right spot and took nearly 20 mins. She was about to give up and go for GA but I said I would try brave it for another try before doing that. Luckily she got it. So once it was kicked in I was given sedation and they put my headphones on with my ipod and Bon Jovi played away. I came too a little later. Felt pulling and shoving and heard lots of banging and other weird noises. Have a little wave and then fell asleep again.

A little later woke again to same noises and tried to look around to see what was going on. Spoke with nurse and asked the time.. . Then I thought I fell asleep again but it appears I decided to sing along to my ipod belting out Bon Jovi songs. Fell asleep again then was woken to say it was over.

Surgeon had agreed no staples so I have stitches instead. Another fear dispelled thank goodness.

Now back on ward. Tea and toast consumed. Toes starting to wiggle and a bit of sensation returning to leg. Phone calls made to my daughters and husband.

Now back 2hrs. What has to come I don't know. I will shout for pain relief as much as I need it rest assured.

Will keep you updated as much as I am able. Feels good to be able to talk and let you know how I am. So far so good but I am not taking things for granted.

• Like Like x 7
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  2. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Nice to see you again, @Mollymax and :welome: to recovery! Sounds like you are a secret karaoke star!

You now get the reading list we give all members who visit here on the other side. The articles will give you lots of really useful information!

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
    don't overwork.
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The Recovery articles:
    The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
    Myth busting: no pain, no gain
    Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

3. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

WELL DONE.

Now, the easy bit :rotfl:. Because that awful fear of the unknown is gone and you can concentrate on recovery. Which means (see above) not doing a great deal, what's not to like :)

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  4. babette12

babette12 junior member

Wow! You stood up to your fears! That's awesome and you're an inspiration. I *love* the iPod idea and am going to make a playlist, mostly Led Zeppelin for me. Hope I don't sing along. The things OR staff must see and hear in the course of their work! Well done, Molly.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mollymax

Mollymax graduate

Thanks folks. Had my tea and just had tea and toast. Eating well. However I haven't been allowed up. Having to lie back in bed and drink lots of fluids. Blood pressure too low. Been on iv fluids to try raise it but that was fine because cannula in from this morning. Bit light headed from the low BP.
    Still no pain which is totally fab. Just been given 2 morphine slow release tablets for over night and told if pain kicks in even a little they will give me a small doze morphine every hour. I have decided I will take everything they can give me as I think I will heal better if I am not stressed out with pain. That's not to say the pain won't kick in shortly.
    Hopefully BP up tomorrow so I can get up. Just to do the ankle pumps tonight so I have been doing them since the feeling returned earlier today.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    You did it, Molly! Well done. :yes!: :yay: :flwrysmile:
    You're over the biggest hurdle.

Yes, ask for your pain medications on a regular schedule, because it is important to keep your pain well-controlled.

Recovery will take a lot of patience, but you're going to get there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. beachy

beachy post-grad

Atta Girl Mollymax!!!!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

You did it! Yay!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. pacosmom

pacosmom member

Great to hear it's over! I love that you were singing along :loll:At least you were signing along to an actual song, when my daughter had a knee surgery at 16 yrs old, she awoke to the man in the next recovery area singing a song he made up, about his girlfriend that cheated on him and the song included a lot of 4 letter words :shocked:

Make sure you take the pain meds on schedule, even if you are not in a ton of pain, if you don't, you will be! Here's to a great recovery :happydance:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Mollymax

Mollymax graduate

I dread to think what I sounded like singing away. Can't sing in tune for toffee:rotfl:.
    Its now midnight here. Ward is quiet. Everyone sleeping bar me. I have tried but it's evading me. Calf is a bit annoying but it's not painful. I think it is this right dressing they have on. I believe it has to come off tomorrow. Thigh tender to touch. I didn't get a tourniquet on due to my lymphodema. I must say they have looked after me so far. Not sure if ready for pain killers as not in pain really.
    Wish I could sleep but I am not a good sleeper at the best of times.
    A bit uncomfortable lying on my back. Not able yet to move operated leg very well. Reminds me of the first day when I have cellulitis when leg just feels too heavy to move.
    Oh well I better try shut my eyes and try sleep. Or maybe read a little more of my book.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  11. Mollymax

Mollymax graduate

OK it's now 2.25am and just had BP taken. Sadley it has dropped even further. About to get a bag of fluid put in but as its 84/64 they say its way too low. Getting worried now.

12. lovetocookandsew

lovetocookandsew supremo

@Mollymax I hope everything settles down for you. But I'm glad you got through it all.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    It will be OK, Molly. That IV fluid will help.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Txmomgmom3

Txmomgmom3 senior

I'm so sorry your having such bp issues. :console2:I hope the fluids help you quickly!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Mollymax

Mollymax graduate

Surgeon just been . She loved my singing yesterday..
    She said one had no movement before she operated but after the op it has fab movement. She tried to get me to bend it sitting here in bed but it wouldn't bend and was sore. Have got ice on it just now. She wants me to bend it when sitting on the chair today though. Hopefully BP will settle enough for me to be allowed up. Had the slow release morphine tablets plus get a small amount of oral morphine every hour. Pain is certainly being felt now. So second part of being terrified is now happening. I don't do pain at any level.
    So how much do I bend the knee when sitting on the seat? How much do I push it and push through the pain?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Not at all. If it hurts, stop. This is not athletic training, where you do push on; this is healing. Pain is the body saying 'I am damaged, leave me alone'. Causing more pain just would compound that damage.

Bend the knee to the point of discomfort, hold for 10-15sec, relax. Repeat a few times.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Mollymax

Mollymax graduate

Thanks Roy. Physio had me doing the exercises and she was amazed with the leg raises as she said everyone finds that hard. I didn't luckily as legs strong with all the walking I do. It's the knee slide that is tough. So not being allowed up as bp not coming up. Waiting for another bag of fluid and being told to drink loads.

• Like Like x 1
  18. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I also never had trouble with leg lifts. You’ll find that useful! The heel slides and any bending will hurt right now because of the surgery. Just do the best you can and, like Roy said, don’t force through pain! Your knee will tell you, in bold letters, when to stop. Listen and do lots of elevating and icing to bring down the swelling.

Hope your blood pressure is better today!

19. JamesN

JamesN junior member

Hang in there, Molly! I'm so happy for you. There will be challenges ahead, but you can do it!

20. Mollymax

Mollymax graduate

Thanks all. BP went up to 101 so they got me up and 6 steps with the walker. Immediately went dizzy and light headed. Pain in putting foot in ground was awful. They decided they needed to get me back in bed then took bp again. Back down to 84 so back on fluids. More icing too. Let feels like a dead weight and can't lift it much.
    Really really want to use the toilet but have to still use bed pan for now. Still on top of pain at the moment although I really feel it. Away to all for toilet and my break through morphine. Not sure if it's having the effect on my but I am sure it is making me hyper...

• Friendly Friendly x 1