TKR Pain 2 years after TKR

That's great to hear. If I got through this one I can get through the next.

Now getting ready for holiday. I don't usually use sun screen very much but as I will be in shorts or a swimsuit beside the pool what precautions do I need to take with the scar and with the knee? It's a 5hr flight and I will be 12 weeks by time I fly so I know I need to get up and walk up and down the plane several times. Anything else I need to be aware of?

I'm one who keeps out of the sun so not an ideal adviser. However, I think you maybe need to keep bright sun off your scar. Mine is still pretty sensitive anyway and not a sight I'd want to flaunt in hot pants anyway!

I’m in California and we only wear shorts for months and months. I’d put sunscreen on it but just the sun shining on it at the pool or driving would hurt. Sunscreen doesn’t help that. I keep a little towel in the car to drape over my knee when driving as the sun always seems to shine right on that spot and out at the pool I cover just my knee with a towel too. Sometimes when I’m out to garden for awhile I tie a handkerchief around the knee to keep the sun off. My TKR was early May but it still doesn’t like direct sunlight. I call it my vampire knee

20180902_183754.jpg Lol to the the hot pants. Long shorts for me. My scar is not too bad I don't think. I will put sunscreen on it and as you suggest will cover knee with a towel when sitting at pool. I am lucky I have a decent tan just now otherwise I would come home from holiday with a white knee and the rest brown. Mind you we are now heading into the cooler weather so no shorts here now.

Did a 2.25 mile walk today. It was slow and tiring. Don't think it's my operated knee that held me back. I think it's the pain in other knee. I am just not walking right at all. Not sure I even know how to walk correctly after years of pain.

The sun makes my knees really hot. Perhaps it's psychological but my husband is always surprised at how much hotter they feel than his. When we're in the car for any period of time, I take one of his sun protection shirts to drape over my knees. Can't imagine wearing shorts in the hot sun now.....

Your scar is looking great @Mollymax. Mine is very neat but it's a raised red line with dots down the side where the staples went.

Thanks @Spex10. I am pleased with it. It's very flat and quite pale and off course no staple marks. That was one of the things OS mentioned on Friday as she remembered I had asked for no staples. She is really very good so am happy that it is her that I got for my operation. Just wish the swelling would go down as my knee is quite stiff because of it but maybe once wearing my stocking reduces the lymphodema the knee might go down.

Wow! Your scar looks great! My first one is wide and a bit raised and my latest is starting to spread a bit too. Not a happy scar maker.

I‘ve been told to really keep my scars out of the sun to promote healing. So i‘d Think sunscreen and a good physical cover when possible is in order.

Just a comment about scars...my cousins daughter had a large birthmark removed from her thigh...the plastic surgeon who did it said if they could keep sun off the scar for a year it would be virtually invisible. They did by having her wear board shorts swimming and you would have to know it was there to see the scar

Your scar looks great. I have read comments from surgeons who say scarring depends on the patient's genetics rather than the surgeon's skill, but I'm not sure. My quad repair scar is virtually invisible, but 5 weeks out, my TKR scar is angry red and raised.

@Mollymax finally read your thread from the first page. I’m glad some things have gotten better. I will pass on taking your husband. My TKR was a week ago today (had my second hip replaced 8 weeks before that) and my husband has been a saint through both. He wants me to ice & elevate, says he knows that’s my job. I wish all spouses were like him.

Hope your holiday is great!

Enjoy your holiday Mollymax!!! I'm sure sunshine is good for our recoveries! I use a light cotton sarong (It's about 6'x3') to cover up when I am poolside - doubles as a towel, pillow, blanket, sunshade, carry sling..... one of my most useful bits of travel kit!

Oh well seeing as I have been off work 10 weeks now I have to have a formal meeting to decide if they are going to dismiss me despite telling them I will be back at work in 2 weeks but am taking my booked holiday before I come back. So looks like I am losing my job now

No date for it yet but will be before my holiday. It's not just procedure. They are dismissing right left and centre. They sack just about everyone who goes to formal decision.

Am I confused or were you going to retire in January? Perhaps this is one of those situations where things happen for a good reason and honestly, they may have some idea you want another replacement soon. In situations like this, I try to put myself in the other person's shoes so I can try to see it from their perspective and plan what they may say or do so I'll be ready for it.

@Laurenkate I had kind off decided to work until end April and I had informed them i would be back in 2 weeks. They n have a bad reputation for dismissing people. I will take them to tribunal if they dismiss me. I will cite unfair dismissal under the disability discrimination act.

After several weeks of being kinda pain free I have a lot of pain tonight in both knees. It started last night when I couldn't get comfy in bed because I was sore and it's just got worse as the day went on. I was standing peeling and chopping apples and realised I couldn't stand any longer. And my work thinks I should be back there by now!!

Love your hair colour Mollymax.
Boy you’re only a couple of months out. Don’t try doing too much. Standing for lengths of time is not ideal. I had to do the ironing in small amounts -still do if there’s quite a bit! Do the apples in a bowl at the table or get a stool at the sink. Be inventive.
Thought people didn’t even think about going back to work till about 12 weeks and then only if a sitting job. Get the GP on your side and signed off officially or does that not happen these days.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back