PKR Moffie’s PKR Recovery

Moffie

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi
i had a PKR on the 13th of June.. I have consistent pain in the front of my
knee,it feels quite localised .it’s a pulling stabbing pain which is consistent.
I am taking my meds and not doing very much other than making some food and walking up down the stairs.. I was doing a bit of exercise but have now stopped.. I feel insanely worried that something has gone wrong and
I will need reversional treatment that I don’t think I can face. I want to hear
this is just normal and it will all be better soon..if it’s just time then I can cope. I’ve written to my surgeon and am awaiting a reply. i have this at night and find it hard to get comfiortable. any Suggestions welcome.
Thank you

@Moffie Hi and Welcome!

Please don’t worry that something is wrong because you still have pain at 3 weeks post op. A PKR is not all that different from a TKR, in spite of what we read to the contrary. I also had a PKR and I was shocked at the amount of pain, swelling, and the length of time my recovery took. SO not what I read about beforehand!

Even with a partial you had bone sawed and drilled and an implant forced into your bone. Your body is upset from all that trauma. All you are feeling is normal.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Hello @Moffie. :flwrysmile: Please let us know which partial you had and which knee it was on. We will add it to your signature for you.

Hi sistersinhim

i had a left medial meniscus PKR.

Thank you

Thank you. I'll add it for you.

Hi

I’m beginning to worry more..I’m thinking my pain which is still
bad is due to nerve damage! My knee is quite numb in certain
areas and the pain comes in shooting quick spurts at times which
is really painful.. I’m not able to get on with my life . I’ve seen my
Dr and she’s not concerned.. my consultant says give it time.
at the same time nobody really knows and I’m in pain….help!

You are very early in this year long recovery. (Yes, even partials take an average of a year to recover.) What you are feeling is perfectly normal.

Numbness is normal. My first TKR is almost four years old and parts of it is still numb. As for the sharp pains that come in shooting quick spurts may be what we call “zingers”, also normal!

Marie

Last edited:
My knee is quite numb in certain
areas and the pain comes in shooting quick spurts at times which
is really painful.
During this surgery, many soft tissues are damaged. Nerves are included in those tissues. Numb spots are completely normal. I've had 12 knee surgeries and have numb areas here and there. The lightning bolts feeling pains are what we call zingers. These are some of those nerves reattaching or rerouting. I still get very mind ones occasionally. So your sharp pains are also normal.

Thank you all so much for your comforting and reassuring replies.
You are all so supportive and this journey would be so hard without
Your help..

Thank you

Welcome to the world of "zingers." They can be a little freaky :flabber:the first time they happen. Hang in there and keep us posted on how things are going for you.

Hi
i had a PKR on the 13th of June.. I have consistent pain in the front of my
knee,it feels quite localised .it’s a pulling stabbing pain which is consistent.
I am taking my meds and not doing very much other than making some food and walking up down the stairs.. I was doing a bit of exercise but have now stopped.. I feel insanely worried that something has gone wrong and
I will need reversional treatment that I don’t think I can face. I want to hear
this is just normal and it will all be better soon..if it’s just time then I can cope. I’ve written to my surgeon and am awaiting a reply. i have this at night and find it hard to get comfiortable. any Suggestions welcome.
Thank you
I empathise with your worries. I only had my TKR on 8th July but so many times since then I’ve been concerned with my body’s reactions to the surgery. The hospital didn’t give me any advice on what to expect in recovery. It then comes as a shock when something feels wrong. I’m no expert but from reading this forum it seems that most people have set backs along the way but do recover with time.

This recovery is a rollercoaster ride, up and down, for months and sometimes even years. It will teach you patience in one way or the other. Not a fun way to learn it! If you listen to your knee and watch its reactions to what you are doing, you'll learn what angers it and to not do it again for at least a few weeks. It's a learning process because your knee is unique, unlike anyone else's, and will heal on its own timetable.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
TATTVASPA800000
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom