THR MNLady67 Recovery Thread

I am now on Hydrocodone 1 tablet every 6 hours 5-325.
Occasionally, I have been taking a couple tylenol but it doesn't seem to do anything.

I had a similar issue and my doctor told me that often, those meds don't well on their own, but as a "team," they seem to work brilliantly. So I did as others have said and took Tylenol around the clock. It seems to boost the other pain killers. Just be careful that your hydrocodone doesn't already contain Tylenol. My husband had a prescription that contained both. Ask your doctor about adding in the Tylenol round the clock.
Hydrocodone 5/325 contains 5 mg of Hydrocodone and 325 mg of Tylenol in each tablet.
If you're taking that 6-hourly, that means you are taking 1300 mg of Tylenol in each 24 hours.

The safe daily limit for Tylenol is 4,000 mg, taking into account any Tylenol/Acetaminophen/Paracetamol that is in other medications, such as cold cures. That means that, on a 6-hourly regime, you could safely take another 2,700 mg of Tylenol, divided into doses of no more than 1,000 mg each time, including the 325 mg in the Hydrocodone.

It may be that you need to take the Hydrocodone 4-hourly, instead of 6-hourly, so do discuss this with your doctor.
If he/she is unwilling to let you do that, then ask for a review of you pain relief, since what you are currently taking doesn't seem tobe working very well.

Also, do look at how much activity you are getting, because doing too much can increase your pain. Check your activity against what is recommended here:
Activity progression for THRs

So sorry you are still in a lot of pain - I also felt terrible for at least 2 weeks post-op, and then ridiculously tired for the next 2 weeks. I thought I’d be able to do desk-work after a few days but couldn’t really get productive until 3 or 4 weeks. You def need to get better pain control, and carry on with that longer than you think you need. Things will improve once you get the pain to behave, but the process will be slower than you hoped. I am like you - the outdoors, activity, and my very physical job are everything to me. So it’s tough for us to feel like this is all receding rather than getting closer to reality. But we’ll get there - I am 6 weeks post op and it is a very different place than weeks 1 and 2. I can easily walk 5 or 6 miles per day (though I usually just do 3-4 miles as I’m being cautious), rough ground and trails are no problem, starting to be able to squat down to the ground, can dress normally, put on shoes, etc. So all you need to do is SURVIVE the present as best you can - trust us that your life is waiting for you in just a few more weeks. Hugs!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hydrocodone 5/325 contains 5 mg of Hydrocodone and 325 mg of Tylenol in each tablet.
If you're taking that 6-hourly, that means you are taking 1300 mg of Tylenol in each 24 hours
The person I talked to said that my hydrocodone has not Tylenol on it. So, they must not have realized my updated medication. Thanks for this, I have 500 mg Tylenol I am taking so now I can only take a few of those a day. Not that they do anything really...

I am still having quite a bit of pain. I did have some good periods yesterday so I am hoping that I am on the other side of the curve. Today will tell a lot I think. Again, I appreciate everyone's support!

So sorry you are still in a lot of pain - I also felt terrible for at least 2 weeks post-op, and then ridiculously tired for the next 2 weeks. I thought I’d be able to do desk-work after a few days but couldn’t really get productive until 3 or 4 weeks. You def need to get better pain control, and carry on with that longer than you think you need. Things will improve once you get the pain to behave, but the process will be slower than you hoped. I am like you - the outdoors, activity, and my very physical job are everything to me. So it’s tough for us to feel like this is all receding rather than getting closer to reality. But we’ll get there - I am 6 weeks post op and it is a very different place than weeks 1 and 2. I can easily walk 5 or 6 miles per day (though I usually just do 3-4 miles as I’m being cautious), rough ground and trails are no problem, starting to be able to squat down to the ground, can dress normally, put on shoes, etc. So all you need to do is SURVIVE the present as best you can - trust us that your life is waiting for you in just a few more weeks. Hugs!
Yes, I was hoping to Work From Home after a couple weeks. With all this pain I cannot think straight and it looks like maybe after 3 weeks might be a better option.

Hello and a Happy Thursday to you!
I hope you slept better last night.

I did have some good periods yesterday so I am hoping that I am on the other side of the curve

Not to dash your hopes, but you can’t count on this 100%. A mere nine days ago your body experienced an assault through major surgery. It was basically a "controlled" trauma. Your leg may have been manipulated aggressively in an effort to dislocate your hip, your flesh was sliced open muscles and ligaments separated, soft tissue disturbed. Then power tools were used to saw your bone and router it out so a prosthetic could be hammered in place. Your body is trying to heal and it is slowly healing. This takes time and it includes many ups and downs.

If at all possible, work shouldn’t even be on your radar at this point. Unfortunately you can’t rush this recovery. Your body will heal at its own rate, on its own time. So try as hard as you can to sit back and enjoy the ride. The end result is a beautiful thing but it takes a little patience to get there.

Wishing you comfort and a peaceful day! :)

rps20171117_054543-jpg.71434

Any sleep is wonderful. I was happy to see you had a better day. It is always nice to get a sample of what is to come and get even better.

You are eager to get back to work but right now your job is to let your body and hip heal. Pain is a drain and even after you get that under control the surgery does drain our bodies as does the healing that has to happen. It is a major surgery for the body even if our heads don't quite get it since we are up and walking so quickly. For now try to concentrate on your primary job of healing with lots of ice, elevation and rest. It does come but when we try to rush it we sometimes extend the recovery time.

I hope you have another good day.

Today went better! In fact, I laid down for a short second nap and didn't wake up for 3 hours! Pain is much better whew! It seems like the swelling is finally going down and walking is much easier as well.

Wonderful. I bet that nap felt heavenly. I had never been much of a napper except when in recovery and than it was a regular thing. Very glad to hear your pain is better controlled and your swelling decreasing. Keep listening to your body and your hip. Have a peaceful night.

12 days in now and the pain is much, much better. I think I could get by without pain meds at this point. I do wish I would have been afforded much stronger, better medications earlier. I think a lot of the pain was due to the swelling, which is considerably improved. I was able to do a short walk (with my walker) around the block. Walking tires me out but isn't really painful. I am not quite sure how much I should make myself do a this point. I am seeing the doctor on Wednesday and am hoping for some guidance there.

Happy to hear the pain is getting better. At 12 days in you don't really need to be doing a lot of walking, just going to the bathroom, to the kitchen for a snack, little trips you would do in your day to day activities. Exercises aren't really needed at this point either, the walking is good enough, you can always work on building back up much later down the road. And being tired is pretty normal at this point as well. Try to nap whenever you can, you do your best healing when you're sleeping.

Has anyone developed severe insomnia after their surgery? I have barely slept for like 4 nights in a row now! I have reached out to my doctor to see if there is something they can prescribe. I've used melatonin, benadryl, nyquil etc., and nothing helps. I literally will sleep less than an hour each night. One would think I would be able to take a nap to recover but I can't even sleep from that.

Hello @MNLady67
I’m sorry you’re struggling with lack of sleep. I believe it will regulate with time and patience. Easy to say, but understandably difficult and miserable while in the midst of it.
Yes, some are more sleepy post surgery and some suffer with insomnia. Magnesium may be an option to consider -

Magnesium supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

Additionally you can also try a few of the methods often used below.

Avoid caffeine in the evenings

Listen to relaxing music

Tense and relax your muscles. Begin with your feet and work your way up to your shoulders.

Take a relaxing shower (or bath, if permitted).

I hope you’re able to catch some Z’s soon. :yawn: :sleeep:

PS
In regard to Magnesium, Magnesium Glycinate is often suggested as the preferred form to avoid intestinal issues. It’s the form I use without issue.

Besides all the wise advice from Layla above, I listened to books on my phone - what used to be books on tape in the olden days. I would pick a light book that I either started reading already or listening to so the characters were familiar and just put in the ear buds and listen to the story. It was relaxing to listen to someone else's voice with my eyes shut and usually could drift off. If I missed part of the story no problem and the story was light enough that I would not get too involved or have to think "who done it". It helped me to focus on the story and not how I could not sleep. I hope some or all of the above ideas work for you.

@MNLady67 oh ugh no sleep-- I am so sorry!!!!
I have "secondary insomnia" anyway, and have a prescription that helps with that, but was unable to take it along with my percocet. I didn't sleep "my normal" for a good while with both hips, but I sure had some good nap attacks! You are bereft of even that.

Something I've tried to use for 30 years, since my youngest learned how to start crying at the very second I'd fallen back asleep after the previous cry, is, don't worry that I am awake. My watchword while lying quietly in bed after a rough night (they were all rough for about nine years) 45 minutes before the actual alarm clock went off was, I would kill to be resting like this during the day, so shut up and be thankful (said to myself!!!).

I personally disagree with the experts who say that if you can't sleep you should get up and turn a light on, to distinguish that the bed is for sleeping. My response to that is, since the bed is for sleeping, and lying down in bed with eyes closed is an excellent way to be asleep, let's just stay in bed and pretend to be asleep. Who knows! I may fool myself into actually being asleep!

Something else that just occurred to me-- check the side effects on any of your meds, call pharmacist/dr to see if they have a helpful clue?

@MNLady67 oh ugh no sleep-- I am so sorry!!!!
I have "secondary insomnia" anyway, and have a prescription that helps with that, but was unable to take it along with my percocet. I didn't sleep "my normal" for a good while with both hips, but I sure had some good nap attacks! You are bereft of even that.

Something I've tried to use for 30 years, since my youngest learned how to start crying at the very second I'd fallen back asleep after the previous cry, is, don't worry that I am awake. My watchword while lying quietly in bed after a rough night (they were all rough for about nine years) 45 minutes before the actual alarm clock went off was, I would kill to be resting like this during the day, so shut up and be thankful (said to myself!!!).

I personally disagree with the experts who say that if you can't sleep you should get up and turn a light on, to distinguish that the bed is for sleeping. My response to that is, since the bed is for sleeping, and lying down in bed with eyes closed is an excellent way to be asleep, let's just stay in bed and pretend to be asleep. Who knows! I may fool myself into actually being asleep!

Something else that just occurred to me-- check the side effects on any of your meds, call pharmacist/dr to see if they have a helpful clue?
Yes, I've always had an issue with insomnia- but never for this many days. I will literally not sleep at all some nights. I can even tell when I go to bed that I will not sleep that night. I do lay in bed anyhow, with my eyes closed, trying to rhythmically breathe etc., but I still don't sleep.

I asked my orthopedic for some sleeping pills but they said I have to see my primary for that...

Anyhow, I finally slept last night so I feel so much better!

So glad to hear you finally were able to sleep. I hope today is much brighter with that needed rest.

That’s unfortunate that your OS turned you away. Good news, usually PCP providers are good about picking up the reins. First, I’m not advocating anything here except to be your own advocate. However, after trying all the above things, sleep was so elusive that my energy and mood (and family) were suffering. I did talk to my OS at my 6 week appointment and after making sure pain was not causing my issue, he did prescribe a common sleep medicine. It worked immediately and did wonders to “reset” my sleep in about a week. And that was it. I had no side effects and I felt human again. I know it’s another one of those post op things that can take some time but it’s nice to have so many options on this common issue. I wish you the best in its resolution. ❤️

4 weeks today. I can walk without aid, although I still have a slight limp when I walk as my thigh still needs a bit of healing. I can do the exercises they wanted me to do all along pretty easily, so I don't see why they wanted me to do them right away- it seems to me the only reason I couldn't do them was because of swelling and such. I haven't tried to walk a mile or anything but I am sure I could walk around a short block lol. The pain is much better although I still wake up in the middle of the night with an achy leg. Last night I took an Alieve and slept most of the night so I am going to try that again tonight. I can almost cut my toenails, but for right now I could only cut my big toenail lol. I can lift my leg pretty easily and I can go up the stairs one foot per step as I used, going down I am still more cautious. I have a much better attitude about having had this surgery done, in the first couple weeks I felt a lot of regret because of the pain. That's all I can think of for now.

Great update. Sounds like your recovery is slow and steady. My only suggestion would be that you use a cane or other walking aid so that you do not limp. We advise using an aid in walking till we stop limping so that we do not get a bad habit of limping.

Try heel-toe walking when/if you're limping. Let your heel hit the ground first followed by toes.Give it a try. It really helped me to overcome the limping that had become a habit from before surgery. Have a peaceful night.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom