• REGISTER for Joint Replacement Awareness Day on May 9th, 2020!

Surgeons, patients, and other medical professionals will talk about topics you've told are important to you. You can ask questions LIVE of the participants. Please "like" and "share" our JRAD notice on your Facebook page too!

Register and learn more in this announcement:

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

THR MItzi107's Recovery Thread

Mitzi107

Country
United States United States
Well surgery went well but recovery seems to be going a bit slow for me. Im at 4 weeks post THR tomorrow and still having trouble with my balance.
I have very weak muscles in the front of my leg and am not able to do some of the leg lift exercises the PT wants me to be able to do. Still not able to sleep on my side and not getting good sleep at all on my back. UGH. Still have some groin pain/pinching that I was hoping would have gone away post surgery. Not able to walk more then about 5 mins before pain and balance become an issue. Hopefully this will all work out in time.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello @Mitzi107 - and :welome: to Recovery.

I've moved your post from someone else's thread and started a recovery thread for you.
Please continue to post how you're getting on, or ask questions about your recovery in this thread from now on.

Here are the recovery guidelines we give to everyone with a new hip:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello and a Happy Tuesday to you!
I'm sorry you're struggling and disappointed in your progress. We all recover at different rates so please don't compare yourself to others if you're tempted to do so. I'm assuming you're still using an assistive device if you're experiencing muscle weakness and balance issues. If you're not, please do.

If back sleeping is your only option, try surrounding yourself with pillows. I found it helpful. I am not much a fan of back sleeping myself, but I stopped short of encircling myself with pillows in my recliner and felt swaddled like a baby. I surprised myself and slept quite comfortably that way. I've kind of turned into a pillow hoarder since my surgery. I like one here, one there, one everywhere! Just a suggestion....whatever works for you.

Not sure whether you're icing for the groin pain, but if you're not, consider it. It should help. Ice for 45-60 minutes, no less, several times daily. I'm leaving the Activity Progression for THR from the Recovery Guidelines in case you haven't read it yet. Use it loosely as a gauge to keep yourself safely active for this period of time.

I hope you have a nice week!
@Mitzi107

Eman85

post-grad
Country
Time and patience is what it takes, doing any PT in early weeks would hurt my muscles much more than help them. I couldn't do any leg raises at all in the early weeks but over time it's now no big deal to do 20.

ForumUser

senior
Country
I used a pillow between my knees/legs to assist in maintaining alignment .... slept on non-op side from the 2nd night on. Once the incision site began to heal, I was able to roll that way - always woke a bit when I rolled, but after a couple of weeks even that became more comfortable. After a month I was not able to tell much difference and sleep became a bit better.

I could not have slept on back unless I was utterly exhausted ... really really utterly exhausted ... I'm a curl up and sleep person.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Happy One Month Anniversary! I hope you've had a good week so far.
Take it slow...you'll get there.
Wishing you a nice weekend! :)
@Mitzi107

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @Mitzi107
I hope all is well with you?
One month out was my prime time for cabin fever and the post op duldrums.
:unsure:
With any luck, you are dodging this.

Happy Friday :flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Doxiemome
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom