Mireille's RTHR

Mireille

graduate
Country
United States United States
Hello, everyone. I'm a veteran of the Knee replacement forum and now am moving into hip replacement. Just found out today, I'm having surgery Tuesday, February 6th. I suffer from degenerative osteoarthritis and FAI. I had a right hip arthroscopy on October of 2016 for debridement, labral tear and cam and pincer impingemet. The hip started bothering me again just recently and I have another labral tear, approximately 2 cm of calcification as well as extreme narrowing of my joint space. Not really what I wanted to hear but will be glad to get rid of the excruciating hip pain. The knee forum was invaluable during my knee replacement recovery so here I am again. Great support tool! Thanks!

Welcome and wow! That is a lot of surgeries over six years. Apparently, except for 2013, you should stick to the odd years... :) I also had OA related to FAI and the surgery successfully addressed those issues. Hopefully you'll find the hip recovery easier than the knee.
D

Welcome @Mireille. I have my second thr the day before you. Don’t know if it’s true but I’ve heard hip recovery is a bit easier than knee-you’ll have to let us know.

Thanks all!

@dapplega too funny, hadn't even noticed the odd year thing, haha. I'm looking forward to a resolution. It hasn't been fun!

@MammaT best of luck on your surgery. We can compare notes ad keep each other on track. I heard that too and I certainly hope so. The knee was the most horrible experience I've had to date. I have to do the other one but not mentally ready yet. My OS says it's nothing like the Knee and he expects me to bounce back around 6 weeks. We'll see. :)

Hi @Mireille
Welcome to the Happy Hippy side!
Want to wish you luck on your upcoming surgery.
Hopefully it's a piece of cake compared to the knee recoveries you've experienced.
Not much time till your date.
Wishing you comfort and peace as you await the 6th!

:welome:to the hippest place to be.
You have certainly been through it...hope the recovery will be an easy one.
Yay for bye bye hip pain.:happydance:

Welcome to the hip side! We will be with you all the way.
My OS says it's nothing like the Knee and he expects me to bounce back around 6 weeks.
Hmmmm... If you have done any reading in the recovery area you will soon see that this is a bit unrealistic. Yes, you may be less restricted and moving around better at 6 weeks. But back to "normal" can take a bit longer. Unfortunately we see too many surgeons setting unrealistic expectations. All that results is disappointed patients.

My LTHR recovery took over one year. My RTHR recovery was a matter of weeks. You just can't predict.

Thanks all! :loll:

@Jaycey You are right. I should have been more specific, full recovery will take time. His expectation is that I'll be functional and able to return to my desk job in 6 weeks. I was out of work for 3 miserable months with the Knee. I probably could have used 1 more month. I have no illusions and will take it one day at a time.

I should mention that I'm having it dune via the anterior approach.

Thanks! :roseshwr:

@Mirielle
You have been through a lot! From what I understand you should find your hip surgery a little easier. Wishing you all the best for a quick recovery. :yahoo:

I'll be functional and able to return to my desk job in 6 weeks.
I'll just leave this article here for you to review. Phased return to work Mentally you might be able to return to work but physically is another matter. The Energy drain for THRs has a real impact.
I'm having it dune via the anterior approach.
These days approach really doesn't matter in terms of recovery. In the end the hip gets replaced no matter what approach is used.

I got the email from hr yesterday that my fmla is approved form February 5 through May 6: while I doubt I will need the full 12 weeks, since I have a ton of paid leave it is reassuring.

Whatever you do for work return, try to use the phased in approach if at all possible. I found myself exhausted but the time I got ready to leave for work. I went back to my desk job on a limited basis at about 4 weeks last time (due to guilt and boredom). Going to not push it so much this time.

Hope your weekend is peaceful.
Tuesday will be here before you know it and you know the drill.
Hopefully this recovery feels like a piece of cake by comparison.
A great day to you!
@Mireille

@Jaycey your comments on return to work are interesting to me. I have been searching and searching to find reasonable expectations on when I can reasonably expect to return to my desk job. My OS and his PA both gave super unrealistic timelines. The PA said 2 weeks back to work and the OS said 4. I knew both of those were outrageously optimistic. However, I've also been reading that the Anterior approach is supposed to result in quicker recovery. Your comment above suggest it doesn't really matter. I've cleared my calendar for 12 weeks, just in case. Other than the 2 posts mentioned above, are there other places to turn to gain some insight? While I have found this forum to be incredibly helpful in many ways, when it comes to recovery timelines, it has raised more questions than answers!

when it comes to recovery timelines, it has raised more questions than answers!
That's because literally every recovery is different - even on the same person.

Here are a couple of articles
are there other places to turn to gain some insight?
that give a guide to recovery. Approach used really does not factor into healing - everyone does this at a different rate. Then there is the energy drain to deal with:
Activity progression for THRs
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
are there other places to turn to gain some insight?
Spend some time reading recovery threads in the Hip Recovery area. There are plenty of real time experiences. Unfortunately too many members assuming that anterior approach means they will be back at it all too soon.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
corvettejanie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom