THR Min's Super Slow Confusing "Recovery"

I worry about you on these trips. The activities that may take a lot of walking especially, like ballgames, walks from your parking spot, up stairs or ramps. Wondering if the concert venue includes the same. I think we all envision our self in these places, not always considering the time or the energy it takes to get to where we’ll sit / rest.

Out of country flight…while you’re able to get up and walk about the cabin, the seat itself is confining, even if business class. Wondering if you’ll be comfortable for hours in a confined space, after navigating an airport. Hopefully you can arrange for a courtesy transport cart to get you to your gate.

I also want to share something to be mindful of if you’re considering beach walking
(in the sand) Beach sand provides an unpredictable and uneven walking surface. This can place increased stress / strain and loading on your joints. Walking in the softer sand requires increased energy expenditure, forcing you to work harder, compared to walking on an even, firm surface. The foot will sink slightly into the sand. This will provide the least amount of stability, which forces you to use muscles throughout your legs more.

I don’t want to be a Debbie Downer, just hoping you’ll have an enjoyable time, avoiding discomfort / pain / fatigue as much as possible. It’s good to hear you’ll have a home base where you can rest or stay behind if you’re not feeling up to the activity of the day.
@MinnieV
It never dawned on me to ask for surgical notes
The office visit notes also. If interested, like I was.
I am hoping for grace! Train will allow me to walk about as long as I'm careful to hold on as I go. Switching cars may be daunting, I'd love to know if hip patients have tried it and any suggestions. Will have a rental car and will wait for someone else to retrieve it and pick me up. Somewhat less worried about ball parks since son has connections to make things happen there if needed plus he has had many ortho surgeries so knows the issues and is fierce advocate for old mom. Sand is a worry but I can sit under a picnic pavilion if I decide I'm not up to it while the family scuffles through it. Sand actually got me in this fix in the first place so I don't love it.

Concert is a smaller arena and I'm hoping I can settle in and stay sat. I am worried about my husband's desire to do complex nature hikes along the 6 hour car route, as he thinks since surgeon has released restrictions, that means I am well and can do anything. I'm convincing him to go to PT with me tomorrow so she can talk to him realistically. A 2 mile hike through mountains climbing tree roots and rocks does not sound like a good idea. Last year I could do these things.

Plane trip out of country is the least concerning (except for plane ride itself) since the other couple traveling with us have various health issues too and will also need a transport cart, accommodations etc. We won't be very ambitious.

Appreciate your ideas!

It sounds as though you’ve given these trips a lot of thought, envisioning how you’ll handle each new challenge. I do hope hubby will attend the PT session with you so the therapist can bolster your concerns, and hubs leaves these decisions up to you with no pressure to do anything you’re uncomfortable with.
Please let us know how all goes once you’re finally back home. Those following behind us learn from our experiences and we often point members to other members threads when they’re seeking advice, or opinions on matters such as travel early on.
Stay safe and enjoy!
@MinnieV

Update on the PT front: PT was distressed that the perching-flamingo test Monday has left me with extra pain and popping, so instead of continuing in the strengthening routine right now, she did some muscle exploration and says that four key muscles are stuck together at the top of my thigh so that they aren't moving across each other as they should but sort of cemented together like a tangled chain. She did what she called "manual therapy" but seemed like some kind of deep massage, and used a stim machine of some kind after. I knew this was a tender area but I hadn't thought to mention it since it is some distance from the incision area.

Hi @MinnieV I had a hip accident and ended up with three pins holding the fracture together so not a THR like you. I was 7 weeks post op when I went to Portugal to see my daughter who goes to Uni in Europe. Just a couple of pointers on traveling by air:

Ice the whole way (I brought two ziplocks and had them filled on the plane)

If at all possible book a seat in the very front so you have ample leg room to stretch. Not sure how long your flight is but I'm assuming at least a 6 hour trip. I had my carry on in front of me and put my leg on it. Our flight on the way back was 9 and half hours so that was a bit brutal.

Definitely wheel chair service! Both going and coming.
And of course your pain meds on schedule!

I tried to get up and walk the isle but it was difficult as it felt I was walking uphill. Definitely your walking aid for sure.

I hope that helps! Good luck!

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you have a nice weekend! :SUNsmile:
@MinnieV

Hi @MinnieV I had a hip accident and ended up with three pins holding the fracture together so not a THR like you. I was 7 weeks post op when I went to Portugal to see my daughter who goes to Uni in Europe. Just a couple of pointers on traveling by air:

Ice the whole way (I brought two ziplocks and had them filled on the plane)

If at all possible book a seat in the very front so you have ample leg room to stretch. Not sure how long your flight is but I'm assuming at least a 6 hour trip. I had my carry on in front of me and put my leg on it. Our flight on the way back was 9 and half hours so that was a bit brutal.

Definitely wheel chair service! Both going and coming.
And of course your pain meds on schedule!

I tried to get up and walk the isle but it was difficult as it felt I was walking uphill. Definitely your walking aid for sure.

I hope that helps! Good luck!
I'm a bit worried about how to walk on a moving thing - plane, train, bus etc. I have enough trouble on a stationary surface! Baggies sound good for icing, will pack a big handful. WC service I've never tried for, but will inquire. My trips are less ambitious than yours! I am impressed!

Of course what I really want most of all is to GET BETTER, but despite exercise, walking, PT, etc., I remain stuck, I got better on about the same schedule as others here and as doctors predicted for the first 3-4 weeks, but since then it is Groundhog Day with pain, popping and clicking, and weakness from hip to knee.

Now 9 weeks Post Op. Recovery remains slow but I can now hobble around the house without my cane. I still have grinding pain in my knee with every step, though I never had any trouble with this knee till 3-4 weeks after the hip replacement. PT continues to do manual therapy on IT band area which is very tight and sore, and that has helped with the thigh and groin pain, now diminished by about half what it was last week. I am still more handicapped than I was pre-surgery which is depressing. I completed one of my trips no worse for wear, as the pain is quite portable and travels happily with me wherever I go. Headed out for a more ambitious trip tomorrow.

I completed one of my trips no worse for wear, as the pain is quite portable and travels happily with me wherever I go. Headed out for a more ambitious trip tomorrow.
Hi Minnie I am glad you had your trip and it went well and hopefully your next one will be ok as well. I'm sure I echo everyone else on the forum that 9 weeks is still pretty early in your recovery and hopefully the knee pain will go away as well soon. Just take it easy on your trip but have fun!

The second trip went well also, and it was far more challenging - overnight train to Chicago, then a week of exploring the city, lots of walking, lots of stairs, huge museums, baseball stadiums, hiking the dunes, then train back. I shocked myself with how well it went. The most troublesome thing was the tiny train stairs where I couldn’t use my cane or do the toddler maneuver. Sore and tired but seemingly nothing is broken. I have finally reached a turning point where for the moment, I am better off in some aspects than I was before the surgery. I could not have walked that much 3 months ago. Still have a long way to go but I have hope.

I’ve read your story and I’m so happy for you that your second trip went better than expected! You are 3 days ahead of me and so far, I’ve stayed very close to home. Your trips sound so fun.

I’ve read your story and I’m so happy for you that your second trip went better than expected! You are 3 days ahead of me and so far, I’ve stayed very close to home. Your trips sound so fun.
I was pretty worried about the trips but all were booked before I even knew I had to have surgery, and all involved others who would be disappointed and out of money(!) if I had to back out. So I am wading through them one at a time. Each has its own unique challenges. The next is a photography trip which will involve planes, border crossings, challenging terrain, and using my camera which I have had trouble with since surgery. We shall see! I have two weeks to get stronger!

I finished my prescribed course of PT, and was evaluated. I had a score of 38 out of 80, which sounds terrible, but considering my score a month ago was 13, it is an improvement. (I will never score 80 because some numbers have to do with running full speed and changing direction, which I do not aspire to). I had another surgeon visit today and he was pleased to see me getting around without a cane, though it isn't smooth and pretty. He has me coming back in 3 months instead of the usual annual followup, and reinstated my PT. I'm still plagued with various pains in the OP hip/incision area/thigh/knee, and I still cannot do the flamingo thing, but the groin pain is improved and overall leg strength is much better. I still tire easily and don't sleep much, but I can do so much more than I could a month ago,

Next week I leave for a week in Maine and Canada. The third of my four ambitious trips. This one involves airports and considerable walking/car riding. Will see how I manage!

Hmm, interesting. I am not familiar with scoring in PT. I'm curious, what is the PT's projected timeline to be able to run at full speed, then change direction? Your PT sounds as aggressive as your recovery has been ambitious. I don't know how you're doing this less than three months post op at age 74! Honestly, it makes me worry about you.
I had another surgeon visit today and he was pleased to see me getting around without a cane, though it isn't smooth and pretty.
What does this mean exactly? If its not "smooth and pretty" I'm wondering if it means you're limping and if so, whether your surgeon advised using an assistive device until you appear more stable and steady on your feet?
Also, is there some concern with your progress if your OS has you coming back in three months as apposed to your one year anniversary. Did he express that I'm wondering?
I'm still plagued with various pains in the OP hip/incision area/thigh/knee
I believe this would ease if you'd allow yourself the TLC you so deserve. It feels like you've been
overly active and possibly not allowing yourself the rest / sleep your healing body needs to fully recover, without incident or set-back.

still tire easily and don't sleep much,
This is normal as you're recovering from major surgery. You're certainly not alone in experiencing this.
Our body's energy supply isn't limitless. So when we're in healing mode after major surgery
our energy will be used for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all the other activity of daily life. It is completely normal to feel tired for quite some time. How long....most likely relates to your body's rate of healing. Making our best effort to get adequate sleep and rest is beneficial. Our body does it's best healing while we're sleeping.

Safe travels on your upcoming adventures in a week to Maine and Canada. I certainly hope hubs and any other traveling companions are respectful of your present condition and accommodate your needs at each juncture.
Stay safe!

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope all went well on your vacation to Maine and Canada...if you're back.
Have a great rest of the week!
@MinnieV

I'd look at a diagram of the bodies muscles and try to see which one you think it is that hurts. Might help to figure out how to make it stop hurting. Not all muscles recover the same. I've had 2 THR's and each side is different and certain muscles didn't like having a THR and it was different on each side. Atypical pain pattern? I don't know what that could mean in the real world. If you read others threads about recovery there is no exact pattern, just generalizations. My right side has 1 muscle in the rear area that stayed sore for a long time. My left has 1 muscle that hurts in the frt. of my outer thigh that hurts occasionally still.
Thank you for your thoughts! The pain track best matches the location of the sartorious muscle BUT the muscle itself is not sore, I can press deeply everywhere along the track and nothing is sore, the pain is just invoked by weight bearing when standing with more weight placed on the operative side or during normal stride when weight is shifted to that side. It feels mechanical, very deep and full of pops and crackles.

Having puzzled overnight (since I no longer sleep, I have plenty of time for that) I am even more confused. With no restrictions after 8 weeks and being told to do whatever I want now, I find I don’t know HOW to do so many things like tie my shoes, sit on the floor or a low stool (or get up from such a thing), climb complex stairs, pick up stuff I drop, etc etc. Does anyone know of a guidebook for such things? I don’t know how much to force the stiff new joint to do stuff it doesn’t seem to want me to do, or what the workarounds are.
I'd look at a diagram of the bodies muscles and try to see which one you think it is that hurts. Might help to figure out how to make it stop hurting. Not all muscles recover the same. I've had 2 THR's and each side is different and certain muscles didn't like having a THR and it was different on each side. Atypical pain pattern? I don't know what that could mean in the real world. If you read others threads about recovery there is no exact pattern, just generalizations. My right side has 1 muscle in the rear area that stayed sore for a long time. My left has 1 muscle that hurts in the frt. of my outer thigh that hurts occasionally still.
Thank you for your thoughts! The pain track best matches the location of the sartorious muscle BUT the muscle itself is not sore, I can press deeply everywhere along the track and nothing is sore, the pain is just invoked by weight bearing when standing with more weight placed on the operative side or during normal stride when weight is shifted to that side. It feels mechanical, very deep and full of pops and crackles.

Having puzzled overnight (since I no longer sleep, I have plenty of time for that) I am even more confused. With no restrictions after 8 weeks and being told to do whatever I want now, I find I don’t know HOW to do so many things like tie my shoes, sit on the floor or a low stool (or get up from such a thing), climb complex stairs, pick up stuff I drop, etc etc. Does anyone know of a guidebook for such things? I don’t know how much to force the stiff new joint to do stuff it doesn’t seem to want me to do, or what the workarounds are.

Just got back from my 8 week followup with surgeon. He has no definitive answers as to why I have this deep pain running from upper thigh to below inner knee in my operative leg. He says it is unusual for his patients to be unable to walk without a cane at this point but told me to keep using it as I needed to. He said the X-rays look fine. He removed ALL restrictions which surprised me as I had a posterior approach and am not doing all that well in recovery. He renewed my PT prescription, prescribed medrol and mobic (I’m afraid to take the Mobic because I’m on eliquis).

I am glad he thought the hip X-rays looked ok but I’m still confused. My PT was hoping for more answers too as she does just hips and knees, and considers this an atypical pain pattern. The work she’s doing with me is successful in that I’m meeting goals for strength and flexibility but the pain is still the same. I’d appreciate any ideas from others.
Omg! Don't push it! I'm at 9 weeks & can't tie shoes or sit on the floor...you've got your whole life to live AFTER your body recovers from this...please be patient & give yourself some slack my dear. Slowly does it now

Update : I am almost 5 months post Rt hip replacement, and while I have made some progress, I'm still dealing with more pain/discomfort than I expected at this point. I concluded my allocated PT visits 3 weeks ago and was given simple exercises to do at home in addition to walking. I met therapy goals for flexibility and strengthening.

The Good News: I was able to walk without a cane and without a limp for almost 2 months (have sadly regressed this month so must bring back the cane). My incision looks good (but feels sore and lumpy). I can do all personal care and dress myself including socks/shoes without sticks, can drive, can do most household chores including bending to floor, can do stairs (toddler style), can sleep in 2 hr intervals.

The Bad News: I have constant discomfort in the operative hip that ranges from soreness to actual pain. I also have IT band pains that sometimes cripple me. I have sharp pains that come and go where my back joins my hip on the right side, seemingly invoked by certain positions. My left side, which has always been strong, is complaining about doing double duty.

This is all so frustrating and confusing. I don't know if my issues are outside the range of normal, so I don't call the surgeons office, and now that PT is over, I don't have anyone to ask advice of. I have a return appt with surgeon in November.

Hi @MinnieV , I have just had a quick read through your thread. Wow, you were brave to go on those trips! I’m glad that you were able to go, and come back in one piece (I assume!). Your good news sounds good indeed and worth celebrating. Your bad news sounds pretty normal to me. I had times with both my hip recoveries when things went backwards for a while, but they came good in the end. My first hip, Lefty, was still improving for about eighteen months, and played up again at age 3 after I had Righty done and gave Lefty extra work. I had a lot of soreness from tight muscles and IT band, but this eventually eased after liberal amounts of patience, rest, ice and gentle self massage. Righty is now 9 months and both hips are now good as gold, or even better, titanium.

I hope you will see some more progress soon.

Considering how much you have put your new hip through with your PT and travels, I'd say you are doing very well.
It may sound trite, but it's true, this post THR healing/recovery is a marathon, not a sprint.

I can't help but wonder if you could take it easy for a month, doing only ADL (activities of daily living) and some easy walking, that maybe you would be pleasantly surprised.

Wishing you the best, you should continue to see improvements well over a year post op.

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope all went well on your vacation to Maine and Canada...if you're back.
Have a great rest of the week!
@MinnieV
Thanks for your helpful replies earlier in the thread. This is my first time back on the forum since my travels. I did great on the trips, completed all the but the last one, which had to be cancelled due to my husband's unexpected health emergency, which resulted in a week in ICU and a lot of medical intervention. He is doing very well now, back at work and feeling good, but during that interval, I have been focused entirely on him. I'm now trying to pay some attention to this slow slog of a recovery, hoping to figure out why I'm going backwards and reverse my regression.

Hi @MinnieV , I have just had a quick read through your thread. Wow, you were brave to go on those trips! I’m glad that you were able to go, and come back in one piece (I assume!). Your good news sounds good indeed and worth celebrating. Your bad news sounds pretty normal to me. I had times with both my hip recoveries when things went backwards for a while, but they came good in the end. My first hip, Lefty, was still improving for about eighteen months, and played up again at age 3 after I had Righty done and gave Lefty extra work. I had a lot of soreness from tight muscles and IT band, but this eventually eased after liberal amounts of patience, rest, ice and gentle self massage. Righty is now 9 months and both hips are now good as gold, or even better, titanium.

I hope you will see some more progress soon.
Thanks for sharing. It is encouraging to hear that I may not be totally outside the norm. I did very well on the trips, and managed OK through my husband's unexpected health crisis/hospitalization/recovery. Now that's settled down, and my new hip decides that it hates me again. I haven't been able to figure out what makes it do better/worse, I just end up dealing with the aftermath. My neighbor, who had his hip replaced 3 weeks ago, is doing better than I am. I know we shouldn't compare, but this is a very confusing recovery.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom