PKR Minnesota recovery

L2consult

Country
United States United States
I had my partial knee replacement on July 2nd at Mayo Rochester. My surgical team and post op instructions are very much in sync with the recommendations on this site.

My concerns are with no formal PT and wondering if I am progressing as I should

Can you give us any more information? I hope you are doing well....

Welcome to BoneSmart! I'm going to leave you some articles to read. They're short articles, and very helpful. Would you please give us the specifics of your surgery so we can add it to your signature? I see you had a partial on July 2nd, but which knee? Please feel free to ask any questions you have; we're here to help!

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Last edited:
Many of us here have had no formal PT and did well; and you will do fine without it. Just make sure to move around as in the article I attached here (it's also in the above list) plus ice and elevate a lot. This article was my favorite during recovery and I read it daily to help remind me not to do too much, or too little, at any given point in my recovery.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-tkrs.14334/

I slept all night last night. Took oxy at bed time. Trying to only use Advil during the day. I am icing and elevating. I am doing ROM AS WELL AS WALKING IN THE HOUSE DAILY
I am not using a walker or cane

I SO appreciate your reassuring words

@L2consult Thanks for the info and kind words. Would you please give us the specifics of your surgery date, type of surgery and which knee so we can add it to your signature? It helps us know what you've had, and when, when we answer questions, etc. Thanks!

@L2consul feels so much better when you sleep well!

I am two weeks out after my left lateral partial knee replacement. I am reducing my pain meds to only taking tramadol at bedtime and Advil and Tylenol during the day. I am moving about well and doing stairs in my home. Not using a walker but wondering if i should use my walking poles as I venture for walks outside. Still icing with swelling over the outside of my quad. Wondering if I am doin enough or too much

I used a cane outdoors and in public for a while. At first because I still needed it, then as time passed I used it for balance over rough ground and for public places to keep people a little away from me so they would be less likely to bump into me as they rushed around doing their things. When I was fully steady on my feet it was put away for good. Here's one of the recovery articles that is very helpful to read often as a reminder.

Am I stressing my knee if I don't use a cane or walking pole. I am 14 days post op

I’m 10 weeks PO and I still use a cane in public, the reason is 1 people give you more room, and 2 my balance is all there yet. It doesn’t hurt

Am I stressing my knee if I don't use a cane or walking pole. I am 14 days post op
You won't do any harm to the implant itself, but you're asking rather a lot of your muscles and tendons that support your knee.

They were pulled about during your surgery and they're probably still a bit bruised and inflamed, as well as feeling rather weak.
Using a cane , or other means of support, at this stage seems like a wise precaution against your knee suddenly giving way when you're tired - and possibly could prevent a fall.

Even when I didn't need a cane around the house, I felt it was a sensible precaution to use it outdoors - at least it was good for warding off rushing children and dogs. :dogwalk:

Had to take an Oxycodone last night...had pain that kept me from being able to sleep. I have been doing so well but ice, elevation, and Advil didn't cut it. I was active yesterday but I think I twisted my leg with an awkward movement doing my stairs...or perhaps the 3000 steps i walked. I am discouraged as I am 3 weeks pos op today and feel I should be past this kind of pain.

or perhaps the 3000 steps i walked. I am discouraged as I am 3 weeks pos op today and feel I should be past this kind of pain.
In this year long, on average, recovery, 3 weeks is a drop in the bucket. 3000 steps is a lot for this early stage.

Reread the Activity Progression article to see how much you should or should not be doing at this stage. Overdoing your activities will increase your pain level.

Hi there, I had a partial nearly 5 weeks ago, and I still have pain. I've tried to reduce my hydrocodone (my oxycodone ran out at around 3 weeks sadly), and I'm aiming for 5 mg every 8 hours.
I've had to adjust my expectations of recovery time as well. I try to focus on the small victories and improvements instead of what I can't do. I try, anyway.

A recovering knee is very sensitive to little jars and tweaks--not to mention too much activity. Activity is all relative. I wasn't counting steps, but at 3 weeks I'm sure I wasn't doing 3,000. For me it was all about slow and steady wins the race.
Listen to the knee. It generally won't steer you wrong. If it gets "angry" when you do something it's telling you to scale back a bit.

Thanks I will try to be more patient.

How are you doing this weekend?

I am 4 weeks post op today. Still icing and elevating. Adding walking up to 3000 steps. Feel like I have a more normal gait without my Alki game poles. Wearing an ace bandage if I am up and about outside the home to control swelling. ROM good but operative leg feels week. Pain is manageable with Advil and Tylenol.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom