• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

Minimal Invasive Knee Replacement

CapeCodder

Country
United States United States
I am scheduled for surgery in January. Has anybody has the minimal invasive replacement? Not sure if I believe my doctor that since I have a desk job I could be back to work in two weeks? Is it less painful than the traditional knee replacement?

Also, general question concerning knee replacement. Does the replacement actually feel like a real knee? I have read some articles that say that you will always have some sort of tightness or the knee will click every time you walk and will never feel like a real knee. Comments?

I keep going back and forth on if I should go thru with it. I have taken the test on this site but some of the answers it really depends on the day. Sometimes it hurts walking up stairs other days it does night. I always do walk with a limp and sometimes it hurts and other days it does not. I am bone to bone so maybe I will do more damage by not getting it done.

Thanks for listening!

Roy Gardiner

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
back to work in two weeks?
No way; please think about 12 weeks. That's a bit ot a big thing, but that's what BoneSmart recommends.
Does the replacement actually feel like a real knee?
100% Yes. It takes about a year, but it's sooooo much better than the arthritic or damaged thing it replaces.

InkedMarie

graduate
Country
I’d be very leery of minimally invasive especially the work part. I just read in a fb group of a 50 something yr old man who’s surgeon said he’d be home that day and back to work in two weeks. Neither happened.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
Just about all knee replacements done these days are "minimally invasive." Please don't get hung up on a term like that which is primarily used as a marketing tool. The most important thing is to have a surgeon who does at least 150 knee replacements each year. Experience counts more than anything.
I cannot imagine why your surgeon would say you'd be back to work in 2 weeks. Your gut feelings are correct. No matter what the length of your incision, there is a certain amount of tissue manipulation, bone cutting, hammering and manipulation of your leg that takes place to get the implant into your knee. A good surgeon will minimize the soft tissue manipulation, which oftentimes can make recovery a bit easier. But recovery takes time for your body to heal.

I suggest you read our article on Wound Healing (tab at the top of the page) to learn more about what takes place once the surgery is complete. Your body will not be rushed in this process.

That said, if you are bone on bone, please know that your knee will not get any better - only worse. And you actually can damage your bones from the wear of that bone-on-bone motion and make your eventual knee replacement surgery and recovery more difficult. Damage is not a given, of course, but it can happen. Only you can decide when it's time to have your knee replaced. But you describe some fairly significant pain issues and it does sound like it could be time now.

We do recommend taking 10-12 weeks off to recover if you can. Many people cannot do that and I would say you possibly could phase back into some jobs at the 6-8 week point. Most surgeons won't even let you drive until 6 weeks.

This is major surgery. Even when you have a knee replaced as outpatient surgery, that doesn't mean your recovery is any less....just your hospital time. It will likely be several weeks before you have the beginnings of your stamina back. Some people have difficulty focusing on tasks like reading or using a computer for weeks. These are just typical things that happen when you have any surgical trauma to your body.

My suggestion would be to meet again with your surgeon and talk about how many knee replacements he does and why he thinks you'd be well enough to go to work in a mere 2 weeks. If he tells you it's because he's doing "minimally invasive surgery," ask him why he feels that way since you'll still have the same trauma to your body as any other knee replacement patient. You have a right to understand the entire process he's intending to perform on your body. So don't feel like you're imposing to ask these detailed questions.

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I never even think about my left knee as being "artificial." It may take several months to get there but mostly we all get there.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Lucy1980
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom