THR Minifab - 30M - LTHR Recovery Thread

So glad you are back to life.
New hips rock! :happydance:

Does anyone know if it is safe to use massage guns, theragun for example, on my hip muscles after replacement? Don’t want to do any damage to the prosthetic. Thanks!

I’ve been getting weekly massages, and they feel great. But was looking at the theragun to supplement foam rolling when I do weights or cardio at home.

Hello @minifab
Sorry its taken a few days for a response. I think your question was accidentally overlooked. I wasn’t familiar with massage guns and had to look it up and inquire within staff about the use of one. It’s not recommended for personal use. I’d suggest you ask your surgeon if he’d recommend the use of one through a trained therapist. Hope this helps. A great week to you!

Does anyone know if it is safe to use massage guns, theragun for example, on my hip muscles after replacement?
I would question using a massage gun on surgically traumatized tissue, they seem to be mostly for sore muscles after sports activities.

In any case check with your surgeon and PT before attempting to use a massage gun on your new hip.

Happy Four Month Anniversary! I hope you’re doing well.
Wishing you a Merry Christmas and all things good in the New Year.
@minifab :carols: :plugging-in-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:

Thank you for the feedback and well wishes all, this board has been so nice to have through the process! I did speak with my surgeon on using the Theragun and he said it was perfectly safe to do, so I’ve been using it after some heavy workout and it feels good!

The worst part of the surgery is for my poor dog, she’s so exhausted all the time from all the walking we do now :rotfl: I love walking, going for strolls around the neighbourhood to hikes through the forest, it just feels so good.

Ive got full ROM and zero pain, still building up muscle mass a bit - by summer should be all good!

The Holidays were a bit different this year, first year without seeing extended family in person. We did a lot of zoom calls and playing games on the zoom, so we did the best we could - vaccine roll out can’t come soon enough.

The hip handles everything I’ve been throwing at it and just asks for more, feels good to feel good!

happy New Year to all!

feels good to feel good!

Music to our ears!
So glad you’re feeling good and doing so well. Thanks so much for taking the time to share such an uplifting progress report. May it only get better.
Have a wonderful week!

Amazing what it feels like to get your mobility back isn't it @minifab :happydance: Great to hear you are doing so well.

@minifab It's lovely to hear you are enjoying your new hip :yay: Your dog may be tired but I'll bet he's very glad to have his human back to walking fitness :)

Well team it's closing in on 7 months post-op and I think about my hip exactly 0 times a week now :) Looking back the amount of mental energy I spent thinking about it, or the anxiety of how much it would limit me - all gone. It's amazing, I've been crushing my exercise goals and feeling great about it.

Last couple weeks I've been on the golf course / driving range, outside of frustration on my swing due to being able to rotate my hips better, it's been great! But I am sure I'll figure my swing out again in no time.

Wife and I are expecting our first child early summer, so I am super excited for that! And can't wait to play all the sports with them, and go on all the adventures. The new hip helps make it all possible!

Great news Mini congratulations, nice to hear you’re contemplating Golf ️‍♀️ never mind becoming the next ( was gunna say Tiger but swerve that ) Justin Thomas.
On the sporting front ,there is nothing better than playing in a team inc you’re own sons ,which I managed on several occasions, or indeed competing against them , one of the reasons i,m holed up with a new hip

:cheers:
Congratulations on both the hip recovery and new baby.
2021 will definitely be a great year.:yahoo:

Great to hear how well you are doing. I had surgery 10 days after you and you've reminded me to post an update, as well. Isn't it glorious to be golfing without pain? I'm going to start walking nine holes next and leaving the electric cart behind for the shorter courses! Enjoy that new baby - glad this is all behind you.

Hi @minifab

How have you been going with your golf game / swing since returning? I am off for THR on my right side in three weeks and am a keen golfer. Have you noticed any change in your swing dynamics and ability to trek around the golf course?

@BigDon no complaints! have walked 18 a few times so far this season (only open less than a month) and it feels good, including a very hilly course.

swing is better more rom, and much smoother. No issues with high swing speeds

Figured I'd post an update, as I enjoyed reading the longer term updates when I was pre-op.

What hip replacement?! Biggest inconvenience is when I trip metal detectors at the airport, otherwise I'd have no idea I had the surgery.

Been working out 4+ times a week in the gym, including setting P/R's on the Peloton bike. Golfed all last summer including walking quite a few rounders - excited for courses to open up this week to get back out golfing.

Little one is crawling all over the house now, and I can chase him around on my feet or knees.

Dog still getting exhausted from all the walking I am able to do.

It just doesn't cross my mind to think about what I can and cannot do. Best decision I had was getting the hip replaced, gave me everything back.

@minifab
Thanks for the great update, happy to hear you are doing well and have your life back.
New and future members will appreciate you sharing your positive experience with THR.

:wave:@minifab

:happydance::egypdance::happydance:

Great to hear you are doing so well!
New hips rock!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks