THR Minifab - 30M - LTHR Recovery Thread

Questions for the group:
1. Any way to improve healing on the incision?

I used Active Skin Repair on both my knee and hip incisions. I thought it helped and at around 18 months my knee scar was very feint.

Oh, goody! You are 10 days ahead of me so I need to follow you to know what to expect. Well, sort of as we know everyone is different. But, I'm delighted you are doing so well - my surgery was Aug 31 so I've one week of recovery behind me. Glad you are doing so very well!

Happy Sunday, hope everyone is relaxing!

Steps: Mon - 1944; Tue 2470; Wed 2457; thurs1641; fri 2495; sat 3575

Overall things have continued to progress well. I’ve caught myself rolling onto my op side when I sleep - which my OS said was fine...

I feel like I may not be pushing myself enough some days and that I could do more - but want to make sure I do this right so I have the best chance of long term success.

Tuesday - First day back at work, started off in my home office chair and bounced around between that, my recliner, and bed. Would take a break after most of my calls for some ice time, and to relax a bit. Most of the calls were catching up with my team and letting them know how I was doing.

Wednesday - Similar to Tuesday.

Thursday - took picture of incision and sent to OS as requested. I was 99% sure the bandage they had me using (it had a sticky pad that touched the incision) was ripping off the scab every time I replaced it. OS said no signs of infection; and since the middle of the incision is closed and healing well to just use a standard bandaid over the top / bottom of incision and replace when I shower. Work was busy today! Spent the whole day working in my home office, didn’t feel sore at the end of the day - so that was good. I’ve got a nice ergonomic chair up there, so happy with that.

Friday - 24 hours later the incision already looks better, no longer open and it’s scabbing well at the top and bottom. Work went well, and made some home made pizza for dinner... yum. Happy 3 weeks post OP to me!

Saturday - Went for my longest continual walk yet (1.25 km) and it felt really good, no pain or soreness at all. Best part the incision held up for the whole walk, normally it has a little spotting; incision looking really good! Also drove to pick up a cake in the afternoon, so was driving for about an hour - and it was worth it!

So far today, a little bit more sore - but nothing unbearable, some ice will fix that right up (mostly my opposite hip + lower back). Things are straightening out in my pelvis, so it’s expected.

I’ve also finished taking Celebrex + pantoprazole on Thursday; so just taking aspirin 2x daily now for another 2 weeks.

My HR has really started to come back down to pre-op level now; looking the best yet last night while I slept and off to a good start so far this morning. Looks to be related to some of the meds I was taking.

Definitely getting back to how I was pre-injury 3 years ago. I am standing taller (few people commented), and walking straighter. Starting to lift myself out of chairs with both legs instead of just 1.

Plan to continue working this week + have physio on Wednesday (have 1 session every other week). It’s raining today, so I’ll be staying inside - but targeting to get in the 4000-4500 peak day steps this week. Trying my best not to join the ODIC. I figure if I stay in the 1000’s corresponding to the week since surgery it’s pretty safe (2000 week 2, 3000 week 3, 4000 week 4, 10,000 week 10), and allows adequate healing.

Have a good week everyone!

Last edited:
:hi: Happy Sunday! Thanks for the update. Continue allowing your body to be your guide. It will let you know when you’ve done too much so you can rest / ice and scale back.
I hope you have a good week!
@minifab

Happy One Month Anniversary!
Best wishes for a beautiful Autumn as you continue on your healing journey. :walking:
A great week to you!
@minifab

Thanks @Layla. Hard to believe how quickly time goes and it’s already been a month, feels like yesterday I was nervous for the surgery.

Last week progressed well + had a good weekend, outside of my dog getting sprayed by a skunk and bringing the stink inside... :eeeuw:

Walking straighter and didn’t use my cane at all yesterday - including up and down stairs many times. A little sore today, so using the cane to help. I found myself getting into and out of the car as I would have pre-injury (One leg in then shift weight in) versus sitting down on the seat and swinging my legs in - that put a smile on my face.

Steps since last update: Sun 2987; Mon 2,353; Tue 3,062; Wed 4,149 (Physio this day); Thurs 1,752; Fri 1,650; Sat 5268; Sun 4385

A few bigger step days in there which was good to see, especially as it’s getting cooler out there. Already feeling better than pre-surgery, I expect in another 2-3 weeks I’ll be forgetting about things completely and fully on with my life.

Physio had me doing a couple exercises with ankle weights, which didn’t feel bad at the time - but made me a little sore the next two days.

The incision has continued to improve most of the scab has fallen off at this point, just a little bit at either end of the incision. Sending weekly pictures to my OS to make sure there’s no infection, and all good so far.

Apologizes my updates are less frequent - there’s just not as much to update the team on! Improvements aren’t quite day-to-day as they were the first 2 weeks. I’ll continue to post updates periodically so they’re here for future people to read, especially as there aren’t too many younger people.

Happy Autumn all!

Hello again,
Thanks for the update. You’re doing great!
We appreciate you taking the time to share, and it is an encouragement to those following behind to see what a difference a month can make.
Wishing you all the best and a beautiful Autumn as you continue healing. Please stay in touch as time allows. :)
@minifab

Glad to hear you are doing so well and progressing. It is so great when we can do things like get in and out of the car without pain. It does make one smile. I stopped having to move the seat back so I had lots of room to get legs in and that was such a win. Keep enjoying.

Hit the 6 week window last Friday!

After week 4 I noticed a big increase in overall energy levels, and week 5 I gained full independence back (meaning no walking aid).

Two weekends ago, I went out with some friends for a picnic + a couple of ciders - nice to get out of the house (I used my cane as I was out on the grass in a field, so wanted the stability).

Last week I got fully off my cane and am no longer walking around with a limp (what a feeling that is), and really feeling my range of motion coming back can almost mimic all the same movements as my non-op leg.

This past saturday my wife and I took our dog for a 5km trail walk - I didn’t bring any walking aid with me and I felt really good even up and down the hills. No discomfort at all, but I pre-emptively iced that evening even though I probably could have done without like most other evenings.

Still following my step progression 1000 steps per week I set out in the beginning, so even with the 5km walk I was in the 7000‘s, which given I am into my 7th week is right where I wanted to be. I typically do a “push” on a Saturday, take it easy a few days, then a few maintenance walks to prep for the next week “push” walk. Always listening to my body and not doing too much back to back to stay out of the ODIC.

I’ve progressed to using an upright stationary bike in my basement, with minimal resistance for 15-20 minutes every couple of days - all feels good so far.

TBH - it’s kind of weird now, that I don’t always have my hip on my mind - I catch myself forgetting about it at times already. And to think it’ll only continue getting better from here.

I never had any real restrictions outside of don’t push it until week 6; so now that week 6 has past I’ll probably try gently swinging a golf wedge outside and work up my swing over the coming months so I can be ready for next golf season. I am excited to be able to walk an entire golf course instead of needing a cart!

Hope everyone is doing well - and to my fellow Canadians happy early Thanksgiving (next weekend)!

Last edited:
What an awesome update and happy 6 weeks! That's great that you are able to walk without assistance, also smart that you took your cane as a precaution to the picnic, and good for you to preemptively ice!

It is really kind of weird, in a good way, when you kind of get to the point that the hip isn't always on your mind! It will continue to get better and better as long as you continue to listen to your body, ice when you think you may need it, have the cane handy and back off once in a while. You're doing great, keep up the good work! :egypdance:

This past saturday my wife and I took our dog for a 5km trail walk - I didn’t bring any walking aid with me and I felt really good even up and down the hills. No discomfort at all, but I pre-emptively iced that evening even though I probably could have done without like most other evenings.
I still ice on occasion if I have kind of pushed it that day, cheap insurance against waking up in the ODIC.

Hi @minifab. I have just read through your recovery thread, and you give me hope of returning to an active lifestyle without overdoing it during recovery. I like the idea of # of weeks lining up with # of steps, all while listening to my hip! Best of luck to you for a continued recovery.

:happydance: so happy to hear you are doing so well.

New hips rock!!!!

You are doing so well! Monday will be six weeks for me and I'm nowhere near where you are (I know, don't compare!) but I know I'll get there. Looking back about 10 days I see no improvement at all with the pain level, BUT I'm doing more so there's that. Backing off a bit today, hoping I can chip and putt with my lady friends tomorrow, but honestly, that's a little iffy.

If I'm where you are in another couple of weeks I'll be thrilled. Let us know how golf goes!

Well team, I've hit 8 weeks officially on Friday and two months in a few days since my surgery and I couldn't be happier at this point.

My goal was always by Canadian Thanksgiving (7 week post op) I wanted to be in better shape than pre-op and I am happy to report that's the case.

I took a week of vacation last week, as my work is making us use up our vacation time before the end of the year instead of carrying it over to make sure we're getting adequate rest and helping mental health. Unfortunately, my wife doesn't have as much vacation time, + covid, so it was a stay cation.

Over the week I picked up my exercising significantly. I rode my bike for 45-60 minutes each day and by the end of the week was dripping in sweat as I was able to push myself hard each session with high cadence + resistance. Felt good to get the heart rate up and be competitive in the online classes. I also used my indoor rower some, and my ROM + form felt good. Never felt sore or discomfort before, during, or after - so must be doing something right.

Was swinging some wedge's + iron's in the backyard to test out my golf swing, and must say it feels nice + loose, hopefully it'll help my game :rotfl:

I got my first post surgery haircut which was much needed, and learned one of the stylist (mid-30 male) also had a THR previously, and was fully on with life - so happy to hear that.

Had a massage on Friday as per my physio at their office, definitely not a deep tissue but my IT band tightened up a little in the evening.

Saturday we took the dog for a 5km trail walk to see all the fall leaves; I was a little nervous as it wasn't paved (uneven terrain) and very hilly (lots of up and down). But happy to report felt no pain or discomfort during or after the walk! Wouldn't of been able to do that pre-surgery.

Spent today cleaning up work emails, riding the bike, and now nestled in watching football as it's getting colder outside + more covid lock downs are going back into effect.

Thank you all for the support and encouraging words!

You are definitely having a speedy recovery. I look at yours and then at mine and all I can do is remind myself I'm more than twice your age, not in good shape to begin with and carry on. But you give me hope!

I'm 7 weeks post op tomorrow and finally felt it was okay to try a golf round today. I only brought my irons so I wouldn't be tempted to over do, took a cart, and sat out some hilly par fives and iced during those holes and only played three holes of the second nine, but it turned out okay. Provided there is no fall out overnight, I'll do the same tomorrow. I'm still needing Tylenol when I've active, too.

Hiking is next to tackle. Well, longer walks, first, but we have miles and miles of paved trails just outside our back yard. After that is mastered I'll bring our dog who failed leash training in a big way. But not for awhile.

My goal is to master the above at 4 -5 months out but I celebrate your progress whenever you update us! It's great to know you are so happy with your progress!

:egypdance:
You sound to be doing Fabulous. :yahoo:
It is still early days and, as inspired as you feel, these hopefully forever hips deserve to have incremental improvements and as happy as I am for your great recovery...hope you give them some tender loving care along with the 'reliability' testing.:) :-) (:

Had a massage on Friday as per my physio at their office, definitely not a deep tissue but my IT band tightened up a little in the evening.
:unsure: I am not surprised...still early days, my hippy pal.
There is alot of healing still happening, so be kind to your new hip.
Hope your week is happy.

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
What a great update. It sounds like you’re back to work and back to enjoying life.
Thanks for sharing all that you’re comfortably doing and how great your feeling. While recovery varies from person to person, I believe your progress will be an encouragement to many following behind.
All best wishes!
@minifab

Thanks @Layla.

I really don't have an update, I should have done this a couple years ago. Living life, walking a lot, and just overall enjoying my new lifetime hip! Hardly think about it anymore, just feels natural.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom