THR Minifab - 30M - LTHR Recovery Thread

Here is some reading for you while you’re still clear headed :wink: if you have the time.
See you back here soon. :wave: All the best!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Blessings for an uneventful surgery and good pain control post-op. Looking forward to your update from the healing recovery side.

Surgery went well, no issues with the surgery itself. Quite a few delays heading into the surgery, which I’ll post about tomorrow - almost got cancelled!

long day, but glad to be on the healing side and back home in my own bed!

Congratulations on your new hip and welcome to the recovery side. There is no place like home. I hope you have a peaceful night.

Sounds like you had some issues leading into your surgery and I'm glad it wasn't canceled!
Hopefully you are home and getting control of your recovery routine.

Little bit more background on yesterday.

Showed up for my scheduled time, and despite them telling me it wouldn’t be an issue, they didn’t allow my wife into the hospital so we had to say our goodbyes in the parking lot which was unfortunate.

went inside to pre-op doctor was running ahead of schedule and I was next to go into the OR with my surgeon. All of a sudden alarms started going off and they lost vacuum and air to all the ORs. Needless to say they couldn’t proceed and didn’t know when they’d be back up. A few hours later it started getting busy in the pre-op area so figured they were good to go. There was 3 other people waiting for surgery (other surgeons) with me; two doctors came out and told 2/3 others their surgeries were cancelled because they didn’t have enough OR time left; and they’ve both been waiting since March when their surgeries were cancelled.

I was worried mine was going to be cancelled as well; but next thing you knew my team came out and brought me in for prep and surgery.

As I mentioned last night surgery went well; OS was very happy with the results. left the hospital 3.5 hours after surgery last night, once I did a floor walk + stairs.

slept okay last night, would wake up every 3ish hours and would take pain meds + apply ice for a bit than I’d be able to fall back asleep.

Oh my stars...what a start to your THR adventure.
Glad you see to have pain well managed and congrats on your shiny new hip.
Rest all you can.

Goals for today: shower (on a shower bench, with help), lay in my recliner and bed; and move around every once in awhile. Take my pain meds + ice; and hopefully a nap or two!

I don’t start Physio for a few weeks; need to let the joint heal from surgery itself. So happy the OS didn’t want me to start right away.

Thanks @Mojo333 looking forward too getting back to myself!
To be honest can’t complain with timing, normally I travel almost weekly with work but due to Covid it’s non-exist at and no person travel. So it is a good time to take off work and recover.

next potential trip isn’t until Christmas to visit family; and I am sure I’ll be doing alright by then

That was a stressful morning for both you and your wife! Thankfully your surgical team got you taken care of, good for them!
Glad you were able to go home and are Now resting.
You sound like you are off to a good start in your recovery. This is your full time job now, :ice:

Wow, what a day you had, and they let you go home 3.5 hours after surgery! :wow:

Happy you didn't get cancelled, can tell you from first hand experience what it's like being at the hospital and having that happen. :oyvey:

Good to see you're home resting comfortably.

Didn’t sleep great last night, couldn’t get comfy in bed - mostly pain in lower back. Think I’ll try sleeping in my recliner tonight as I’ve already fallen asleep a few times down here this morning.

My bandage is pulling hair on my leg I think where they stuck it on, as that’s the most pain I have!

@minifab You might be more comfortable in your recliner. Or try a small pillow under your knees if you are back sleeping in bed. It will ease the pressure on your lower back.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
007Knee
Recent bookmarks