Mind numbing boredom due to hip related limitations. How to deal with it?

BruceH

senior
Country
United States United States
I'm a believer in letting it all hang out. So here goes:

How does everyone deal with the boredom of not being able to engage in activities? It's been about two months since my hip suddenly went into full pain mode. Prior to that I was still able to golf, hike, do home improvement projects, etc.

I'm still doing house work (cooking, cleaning, laundry, groceries, yard, etc.) and walking dogs (I just accept the fact that it's going to hurt during and after) but that's about it. I've streamed everything I have interest in, watched a whole lot of golf, and spent far too much time on the couch and internet.

I keep telling myself that this is temporary, just part of a process I have to go through. It's just so incredibly boring!

I know there are folks who have it far worse than I do and they still manage but how?

Hi - I totally understand where you're coming from and it sounds like you've done everything you can so far to pass time. I'm not sure if there are any answers of how to make things less boring, I used to crave space and time to catch up with everything I felt I needed to catch up with, and the obvious difficulty is the restrictions of mobility and pain still means that one can't catch up with the things that I had planned. !
Personally I set myself a few goals whilst recovering from my first Op and waiting for my second which amused me. I got myself a keyboard and learnt how to play the first few opening bars of moonlight sonata. It took me awhile but I got there in the end. My second goal is to play a Billy Joel tune. Have to say I have very limited keyboard skills prior to me practising.
I wrote letters - real proper letters on paper and sent them to people ,about things in general or a memory we shared about a time we spent together.
People like getting real letters - mostly things that come in envelopes these days are bills.!
I use apps such as Duolingo to learn a new language and Headspace to learn and practice meditation.
I've got an SLR camera and have practised different manual settings and new photography techniques - editing using an edit App called Snapseed.
These are just a few things that are gentle and not necessarily stressful but just a way of passing time .
I hope you don't mind me sharing and I hope you find some comfort and relief from the pain .
( And I have to say that this is one of the most amazing forums and places for information.
I have 'virtually' met some wonderful people and feel that there is masses of support to help me get through all sorts of days . )

Unfortunately this is the worst part of this whole process - waiting with a sore hip! And yes, most of us were very active before our hips failed. In my case I just worked more. I had a job that I did from a desk. I also started posting here to try and get a better idea of what was in my future. By the time my surgery date arrived I had absolutely no fear. Knowledge is power. When you know what you are facing it's a lot less scary.

Hi - I totally understand where you're coming from and it sounds like you've done everything you can so far to pass time. I'm not sure if there are any answers of how to make things less boring, I used to crave space and time to catch up with everything I felt I needed to catch up with, and the obvious difficulty is the restrictions of mobility and pain still means that one can't catch up with the things that I had planned. !
Personally I set myself a few goals whilst recovering from my first Op and waiting for my second which amused me. I got myself a keyboard and learnt how to play the first few opening bars of moonlight sonata. It took me awhile but I got there in the end. My second goal is to play a Billy Joel tune. Have to say I have very limited keyboard skills prior to me practising.
I wrote letters - real proper letters on paper and sent them to people ,about things in general or a memory we shared about a time we spent together.
People like getting real letters - mostly things that come in envelopes these days are bills.!
I use apps such as Duolingo to learn a new language and Headspace to learn and practice meditation.
I've got an SLR camera and have practised different manual settings and new photography techniques - editing using an edit App called Snapseed.
These are just a few things that are gentle and not necessarily stressful but just a way of passing time .
I hope you don't mind me sharing and I hope you find some comfort and relief from the pain .
( And I have to say that this is one of the most amazing forums and places for information.
I have 'virtually' met some wonderful people and feel that there is masses of support to help me get through all sorts of days . )

You have touched on things I can do! I can further my German language speaking with an online course or start Spanish again, I have an acoustic guitar that I haven't touched for over 20 years.

I've gotten so used to the convenience of on demand tv and the internet that I've forgotten about how we used to pass the time when stuck indoors. Actually doing and learning things.

Thank you for posting,

Bruce

Ahh...there’s the rub. All the things we always imagined we’d do one day with some extra time on our hands...and now we have a chunk of enforced inactivity, but we don’t have the physical wherewithal to do the things we hoped to do...

My dad was an incredible example of someone who adapted to physical limitation (a mountaineer of significant achievement, who developed rheumatoid arthritis in his 20’s and was forced to stop climbing), by developing more sedentary interests. He went on to achieve a similar level of accomplishment as a duplicate bridge player.

So, I think this time presents an opportunity to try new things. In fact, it’s a perfect time to dabble, and see if you can discover a more indoor/sedentary hobby/interest that will enrich your life long after your hip is healed and you are back enjoying your current pastimes. It’s tempting to view this chapter as temporary, and shy away from completely new things - to just rely on the distractions that got us through a bad bout of the flu or other short term illnesses - but I personally think there are more interesting choices to be made.

So: I have been active on an obscure reddit forum, making digital friends and helping to solve a problem where I have some expertise to offer. I have phone banked for political candidates and issues I care about. I have started work on a book I’ve wanted to write for some time. I have planned out a new social media marketing strategy for the business I own with my husband. I have volunteered some hours as a kitten cuddler in a local pet shelter. I have helped my daughter research MFA programs. I organized neighborhood donations for a teen homeless shelter nearby.

I am an otherwise very healthy 62-year-old, and still I believe there is wisdom in developing a broad range of interests that can adapt to the realities of aging. A time will come, long after my hip has healed, when I will be delighted to have a variety of interests and pastimes to brighten my days - and finding a few new ones is a way to create something of long term value from these temporary hip limitations.

Hi Bruce. This part is the most horrible bit but it will pass. I am a big fan of the 'duo lingo' website? It's a great way to pass the time and to brush up on your language skills and is a free site. I haven't missed a day since I started using it and even managed a practice session while I was in hospital following my hip op. I loved looking at crafting videos on You Tube, while I was waiting for my op. It passed many a happy hour for me. Have you got a good sharp pen knife that you could maybe use while you sit and whittle some wood? Again their are some great videos on you tube.. some clever people carve golf balls. Hopefully you will soon be pain free and back to normal.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
007Knee
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom