TKR mimi2011's Pre - op Thread

mimi2011

Country
United States United States
I'm having my 2nd total knee replacement on 5/26/2020 (THIS Tuesday...yikes!). My first was done on 6/4/2019. Same hospital (St. Mary's in Richmond, VA) and same doctor. While he has me under, he's going to manipulate my right knee because I've had trouble extending it and bending it back (getting to 90 degrees or at least to 100+). Not looking forward to the thigh pain, though, from the tourniquet. Thanks for the add so I can be a May Marvel too! Now I don't have to be alone while I recuperate. Although first week will probably be the roughest for me so I probably won't be posting anything right away. Can hope this time around, I'll have a better experience dealing with being in so much pain can't I? Guess I'll find out Tues once the pain meds wear off.

@mimi2011,
:welome: to BoneSmart, glad you joined us!
You will notice I have copied your post from the May Marvels Thread, you will receive helpful responses to your pre op thread here.
You have been added to the May Marvels along with adding your surgery dates to your signature.
If you would like a different title to your pre op thread let us know here, and we will change it for you.

After surgery you will want to start a post op thread in the Knee Recovery Forum.

Here is a copy of the post op information for you to read before your surgery, keep us posted on how you are doing.

Here is your copy of the Knee Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Welcome! You can do this, it'll be over soon and then you'll be on your way to recovery! I still got a month to go but I am so ready to be done!

Pumpkin...the title to my pre-op thread is fine only you need to change the dates around... I had total knee replacement on my right knee on 6/4/2019. Now having total knee replacement on my left knee tomorrow, 5/26/20. Thanks!

Good luck today hope it all goes smoothly xx

As I read this, @mimi2011 , you are probably relieved it is all over and still enjoying the femoral block! We are here to support you throughout your recovery!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom