Standard Shoulder Replacement Mikem132 Recovery Thread

Mikem132

Country
United States United States
I am brand new...2 weeks post TSR. Doing OK but looking foward to progress and really, really don't want to screw this up. I am still at the passive rock around like an idiot to move th joint phase, and PT moves my arm around (which I find very hard to relax as I anticipate pain).
I was/am a gym guy and I'm sure I contributed to my shoulder issues with too much weight for too long. Shoulder press was told to me by many that DR said knock it off. Too late I ran into a PT in the gym who helped me lift much light weight and told me to go slo-mo. This seemed to really help strain on joints while still giving a workout.
I have a zillion questions but first, seemed you were OK for lawn mower around 6 weeks? It's Feb here in PA and grass cutting season is a couple months away. My mower is gas but not powered drive and I have to push uphilll part of the time. It's a good workout, but not at all sure if I am going to screw up my shoulder. Does this sound like a problem? Have been looking at an electric mower with powered wheels. Now may be the time. Thanks.

Welcome to BoneSmart and Recovery!
I started a recovery thread for you as a courtesy. I read several encouraging and supportive posts of yours to others and hope you'll give us a little update on your journey to TSR here on your thread. The post above was left on an inactive thread and in an effort to let others benefit and feel encouraged through your words and journey I moved it to a thread of your own. My guess is you'll receive responses here and I encourage you to document your progress on this thread as well as continue supporting others as you have been. Thanks for joining us and best wishes on your recovery journey!
@Mikem132

Hello and Happy Wednesday! I vote for the electric mower with powered wheels. You've earned it. :wink:
Hopefully PT is going well for you. Thankfully your surgeon reassured you that the swelling and bruising you mentioned on another thread is normal. With any luck it's slowly easing. I was happy to read that you understand shoulder replacement isn't a cure all. My surgeon's PA did remind me early on of this very thing, commenting that prosthetics do not match our natural parts, but thankfully get close. The best part is you eventually get back to life without the pain and limitations.

I sincerely hope you will note your progress here as well as sharing it elsewhere. I believe you will enjoy looking back at your thread one day and appreciate the notations on your healing journey all in one place as opposed to trying to recall where you mentioned a particular milestone. Thank you for being a part of the forum and for supporting others as they recover right along with you!
@Mikem132

I am about 2.5 weeks past surgery and it seems like I improve every day. I know I am probably the exception, but I really didn't have much pain to speak of. I got that "Exparel" nerve block and, as I was told (didn't believe it) it lasted about 5 days and covered the period most have the most pain. I can't recommend that block enough...apparently it's the regular drug inside some kind of fat that makes it slow release. Downside is they give you a needle that is huge. Upside is when you see the needle you may already be sedated.
I have had 3 sessions of PT, which has been all passive stuff. I start out with the lean-over-rock around thing they did before release in the hospital, which I do at least twice a day at home. Also some hand, wrist and even bicep curl (no weight). Nothing hurts. I was told I could ditch the sling in a week, then told the PT guy the PA I saw said 6 weeks and he quickly backtracked. So 6 weeks. I am pretty sure I could drive one-handed without the sling. One thing I was told at PT was that if you accidentally jerk or move wrong and it hurts a couple minutes, you probably didn't rip out anything. If it hurts over a day it may be a concern. I am paranoid about tearing something and starting over.
I never lost the use of my operative hand or fingers (although a couple were numb for a couple days). I have figured out how to shower (got a bath brush) and dress/undress myself. I've actually been doing all this since a few days after surgery. I can even tie my shoes, although that seems to put the bad arm right up against what hurts.
The biggest challenge remains sleeping. I got a wedge thing (WalMart- 66 bucks) and am beginning to get used to it. I can get about 6.5/7 hours max. Actually, that's a huge improvement. I can live with that.
I never took a single oxy, and had no need to. I did take a pile of Tylenol, but now just take my Aleve at bedtime. This is as much for other aches and pains that prevent sleep as my new shoulder.
When they move my arm around in PT it is very strange. There is no feeling of grinding, popping, clicking. Nothing.
Probably already mentioned but I was given a stemless implant. This, apparently, is less invasive in the OR and I'm guessing is why I had no pain. Not sure.
My staples are out, replaced with "steri-strips" which they said just let them fall off over time naturally. I can see the scar underneath, which is kind of a purple color at this point. Swelling is totally gone and has been gone for a few days.
At my post-op meeting with the PA she removed the "bolster" from the sling. Now the sling is much less obstrusive and I don't have the back issues I used to have. Not sure what that was about...think it held my arm in an awkward position and lower back got sore after a short time standing up. Now it's better (but without the sling there is no back issue) so it's better but not gone. Must be just me and the way I stand wearing the sling.
Hope I don't jinx myself, but so far this has gone much better than I expected. Pain is a non-issue, and I can do more than I thought I could.

Last edited:
@Mikem132 Thanks for the update. Sounds like you are doing really well! Still very early days so do take things slow and steady.
I am pretty sure I could drive one-handed without the sling.
Please don't try this. Your insurance may not be valid until you are officially released to drive. In any case, driving with one hand just isn't safe.
Pain is a non-issue, and I can do more than I thought I could.
Many of our shoulder forum members report this. So glad you are sailing through this recovery.

No, I'm not driving! I mention that because in the year or so leading up to surgery (longer, I think) there were plenty of times my right shoulder was so bad I had to pick it up and put it on the steering wheel. Once there, I was OK. Shifting (floor shift auto) I reached over with left hand. So I know I could do it now, but won't. Because soon enough I'll get better. Before I had no prospect of improvement.
That feeling of optimism about getting better rather than worse (or tension waiting for another impingement episode) is great.

Now I'm 3 weeks Post Op and yesterday at PT started to do some isometric stuff on the shoulder to rebuild strength. This is the danger zone for me. I am very familiar with isometrics and can push too hard very easily. The trainer talked to me about this and just wants me to push, basically, a little (although I know I can do much more).
Since the PA I saw last week said 6 weeks in the sling, the PT guy won't contradict (although it is obvious he'd like to). Anyway, started steeping flat in bed last night with just a folded towel under the operative arm. I can roll over and sleep on my good old left (non-operative) side without issues. Asked about this at training yesterday as my right arm tends to fall over my chest to my left side when I roll over. He was much more concerned with that arm going back (as in reaching back) than moving forward.
I feel very good. So good I think I'm getting a little impatient. I have to work on that.

Just over 3 weeks post op and I have begun isometric exercises to get some strength back. Thus is encouraging. My scar is still kind of purple but seems to be healing fine. I continue to fine tune sleeping in bed. Last attempt was two pillows under head, one under arm. This is good for 6 to 7 hours. Minimal to zero pain. Ordered a pulley from Amazon that is out for delivery today. Nobody ever had to tell me twice to exercise.

I am now just over 5 weeks post op. I feel a little better every day. Still in the sling until next Tuesday. I have been "cleared" to drive (with a totally legalese statement from the Dr saying it's an individual choice and I should practice in an empty parking lot first). I start active exercise in about a week. Two more sessions of PT with just passive.
My Amazon pulley (el cheapo) gets pretty hot when I use it. The PT version gets warm, but not actually hot. I do my exercises every day and feel some strength improvement in the isometric stuff so far. There is a "popping" in my shoulder like a knuckle cracking quite often in exercise. PT guy says this is "gas". I have no idea but I'm not really buying that. Doesn't hurt, though. Looking forward to driving and getting this sling off.

There is a "popping" in my shoulder like a knuckle cracking quite often in exercise.
It is more likely that muscles, tendons and soft tissues just have not firmed up around the new joint. Just give it time.

Sounds like you are doing really well!

6 weeks after surgery. Sling is off, and I'm driving again. These are two big restrictions gone and it feels great. My shoulder is doing real well. It is not strong yet, as I just began active therapy yesterday. I was cautioned (I warned the PT guy) not to overdo it. I like to exercise and he said you can easily do too much. The last thing he wants is me to injure it or worse, dislocate it. I am doing rubber band stuff that is pretty easy at this point. Still doing isometrics at home, plus some of the stretching stuff like table slide and overhead pulley (bought a cheap one). I am sleeping like a rock. No issue at all driving...can put my right hand on the top of the wheel and turn in any direction without any pain at all. Looking forward to re-gaining some strength. Now that I can drive, returning to gym today for cardio and greatly modified strength stuff....mostly left-handed.

@Mikem132 Excellent update! It is wonderful to see you recovering so well! :yay:
:yay:

Just a quick update. I am doing more active stuff every PT visit (2x a week). I can really notice that I am gaining strength almost daily. I can lift my arm higher (a little) all the time. I am really serious about doing the exercises at home. I also go to a local community gym and do vastly modified stuff, including a little on the right arm. From one session to the next I can do more reps with less fatigue. I know I am starting from a very, very low level with operative arm but I have never experienced progress this fast before. I am forced to do two sets of anything involving arms...left arm much more weight/resistance and right (operative) at very low weight/resistance. Little stuff like reaching back to put on a belt through loops I can do easily now. I am not sure this is normal, but this is where I am now. I did do a lot of exercise pre-op to get the rotator cuff stronger going in. I absolutely believe that is a good idea.

@Mikem132 Sounds like you are doing very well! Our shoulder members all report great results when there is focus on the prescribed physio. You are well on your way to a fully functioning shoulder. Well done!

Just checking in after 2 weeks of active motion. Getting stronger all the time. Bought a cheap set of resistance bands to do all that stuff at home, too. It seems every day I can reach just a little higher, lift a little bit more. PT is very happy with progress. Anybody thinking about getting a replacement...i will join in with most and say I'm glad I did it. I am not fully functional at this point, but I can easily do most things. There is zero pain at night, the only "pain" I get now is when I extend the joint in exercise and that's a different kind of "pain"...the kind related to stiffness and atrophy, not a bad joint.
One thing, though....apparently the way they re-attched some tendons I can no longer move my right (operative) arm over mid-section flat against my body. This discovered in PT trying to do some exercise. The arm just won't go there. Buttoning a shirt is a routine thing that can use that range of motion. Not a huge deal, but so far the only real negative. I'll edit this to say I can get my arm flat in that area and reach buttons, but I have to move my elbow out from body a little. It's just an adjustment and I don't forsee a problem down the road living with this, if it's permanent (PT thinks might be).

@Mikem132 Thanks for the update. It is wonderful to hear you are doing well with your new shoulder! It is odd that you are having trouble with the particular movement you described ... I sure hope your PT person can help you regain that particular way of moving. Yes not a huge problem but an annoyance for sure.

I'm in the home stretch of physical therapy. I've been doing strength training for over a week now. A lot of pretty simple things are hard to do, but after a week or so of doing it at their facility and home it gets much easier. I have pretty decent range of motion but do lack strength. It seems weird, because I exercised right up until the operation then only really stopped for the 6 weeks I was in a sling. I seem to have lost nearly all strength in my operative shoulder. Coming back, though. I was worried about pushing my old lawnmower (no self-propel) and it was burning a lot of oil anyway so got a new electric one (made of all plastic and lighter). It has self propel, but my arm is plenty strong enough to push it uphill without the power drive. I think I could have also still used the old Honda, too. I have no trouble lifting normal things like grocery bags, laundry baskets, etc. At first it hurt, now no pain at all. I have about 4 more official PT sessions, then continue on with home exercise, which I will definitely do.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back