TKR mikb314159's recovery thread<

@mikb314159
Hey....thanks for checking on me. In house PT just left. I am at 95/3 which I am really pleased with. Stiffness is my issue and I am massaging those parts into submission. Swelling/bruising are pretty much gone but I will continue to ice. I have been on the cane for about 4 days.

PT has not discharged me as of yet due to a long interval between OR and OS visit. I will go to see the OS at 23 days. (Tuesday-long story) I have dissolving stitches so it should be nothing but a dressing removal, PT orders and a blessing to drive.

No pain meds for me but the occasional Tylenol and I am pretty much sleeping through the night in the bed. (Except for the bathroom visits)

I am really glad the cellulitis is resolving for you and your sleep is improving. I would say with the pain numbers, you are making some progress. And a dinner out.....jealousy! People smile at you, greet you etc! A world exists outside the house! What a concept!

Keep me informed and keep up the good work...talk soon.

Well I was doing much better through Wednesday. But Thursday and Friday I felt like i regressed. Very stiff, and my calve and ankle very sore. Discouraging

@mikb314159
Remember that this recovery is not linear. I have accused the PT “Wow, I was feeling so good and then you come here....run me through theses exercises and I have massive stiffness and swelling the next day. Why do I do this again?”
Yes it is discouraging....BUT....if you felt better yesterday it is more probable that you will feel better and not worse tomorrow. The bad is temporary.
I know this sounds like platitudes and you have had a rough road but....

upload_2019-7-14_7-27-38.jpeg

Well I was doing much better through Wednesday. But Thursday and Friday I felt like i regressed. Very stiff, and my calve and ankle very sore. Discouraging
You will find you have 2 good days, and bang 3 days feeling like you regressed. We have to learn to go with the flow

You will have times like this, because recovery isn't a straight linear progression. It's more like two steps forward and one step back, or a roller coaster, with lots of ups and downs.
You may even have times when recovery seems to stall for a while, and then you move forward again.
Recovery chart drawn.jpg

Recovery is a long and winding road, but you'll get there in the end.

Thank you. It is fine to compare. I think that's part of what this is all about. I think you are right, the 2 hours CPM was too much.

Do you have much pain laying in bed?

I had a hard time in bed the first couple of weeks, I built what my husband calls a nest [emoji23] pillow under my hip and around my leg to keep from moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bad day today. High pain and swelling in calf and ankle. Kept elevated most of the day, but still hard to walk on.

@mikb314159
Discharged from home PT today. I started at 60/10 and ended at 95/0. Outpatient PT starts Tuesday. I am disappointed at the first number, thrilled with the second. This is where the word “patience” should be inserted but I am soooo bad at application of that word to myself. I am making beds, doing dishes and walked a mile today....

OS is pleased with me. Saw him Tuesday. He gave me my “Go back to jail” paperwork ( otherwise known as return to work-August 19.):groan:I see him next 2 weeks after I go back to work.

I've posted more fully on my own recovery thread, here:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/poctdb-recovery-thread.54817/page-4

Is your cellulitis clearing?

I want you to hang in there. Your road may be long but the end is out there....maybe just not visible yet.
I am going to keep checking on you until you can see the end of the road.....

Talk soon. Deanna

I also had surgery June 24, 2019 , as well. (TKR) I am definitely having my ups and downs but once I hit 3 weeks post op the other day I started to feel a bit better.

Maybe there will be light at the end of the long tunnel, after all.
I have had good ROM, especially when bending. I have switched from a walker to a cane and can get around better. I sleep upstairs so I had to learn to navigate the stairs from Day one.

I was really starting to think I should never had surgery...so many awful side effects. When I first got home, my husband had to put me on the toilet and pull me back up as I held on for dear life. That first 7-10 days I had to urinate every hour and although I could go on my own after a few days, I was still having to get up constantly. The 5th day after my surgery, I had 2,000 steps on my fitbit and was worn out. Fortunately, that finally stopped. Did anyone else have this same situation?

Good luck to you, Michael. It seems we had surgery on the exact same day.

@bfw7
Welcome to our June 24th club.
There were two more of us that I know of but they have stopped posting.
2000 steps on day 5? Whoa....too early for me. I was far more worried about pain meds and ice at that point.
I hit 2000 yesterday for the first time.
I think most people may have thoughts of “Why did I do this again?” but for me there was no choice. The words “permanent deformity” is a powerful motivator.
While you are close to a situation, it is so difficult to look at the long term picture. After Day 8, I could begin to see the “future “ picture. Now....at 4 weeks Monday, I am very thankful that I finally did this.
I will check in on both of you now to see how you are doing.
@mikb314159 how is your day? Are things getting better?

Hello,
I took it easy yesterday because of calf pain. Today I’m not good again. Calf pain and knee flared up. And ROM regressed. I was up to 65, today can only do 44 with high pain. Pondering calling my Doctor.

Buddy,
I am glad to hear you are doing so well. I have to laugh about your driving all this time and your Doctor.
Wish you didn’t have to go back to work so soon. Seems really quick.
Have a great day.

I do not think it is a bad thing to call the doc. If there is a suggestion he can make, more/less PT, more/ less of anything else...he can’t help if you don’t let him know.....

Let me know how it goes.

PS...work return date was my choice per the OS. I sit all day and PT is on first floor. the Walls in my house are starting to whisper to me, I want to go back to work before they start yelling. :)

Update: went to Doctor on Wednesday. He was not happy with my ROM bend at 60 degrees. This was my 4 week visit. I am going back to see him on August 6th, and if I’m not at 90 degrees, he is going to sedate me and force / manipulate my knee. Ouch

It is kind of scary. What issues could this cause me?

Oh buddy that is not good news about a possible MUA.....
You haven’t had it easy with the cellulitis.....

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom